Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what blower guages should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default what blower guages should i get?

hey guys, i am gunna get a blower soon. and just doing a bit of research and had two questions, which do you guys think is better
a) do you guys like pillar guages or do you like the center dash mount guages like the gt500's
b) what guages do i need? i know i need boost, but what else?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Get the dual aeroforce guages..pretty much covers everything. Dont get the boost map sensor with that kit though.

Last edited by loots06; 02-12-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I had pillar pods and Roush Vent pods on my F-150.

I highly suggest you do the Roush Pods for the "non-essential" gages, and do a pillar gauge for the boost and a/f gauges.

the GT500 setup is pretty nifty, but they are out of your normal field of veiw IMO.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

How many gauges are you looking to add?
The Pillar is a better spot for essential gauges, wb a/f, fuel pressure, vac/boost, oil pressure. The dashboard pod is great for any temp gauge.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:56 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

I have a dedicated A/F on a PLX DM5, and a PLX DM 100 with boost, trans temp, oil temp, and will be installing a IAT. The PLX DM100 can display up to 4 parameters on a single screen. (Not 32 as in inferred.)

As for gauges, boost is nice to see since you spent $$$ on the SC, but not critical. The critical gauges, IMO, are IAT, A/F and fluid temps. I use the pillar.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I went with the Autometer Nexus gauages, more expensive than most, but they match the MyColor option of ours cars pefectly. I mounted the remote for the gauges in my console.

I also used the Speed of Sound a-pillar gauge pod and I love it.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

well, im not 100% sure what guages i want, but i definatley want the essentials, so if i can get a majority of people saying which ones i need then il get those. so Boost, A/F, are the recurring ones people are saying so obviously i need those 2. i thought the pillar guages would obviously be more in view but do they obstruct your view at all? since my hoods 2 in taller then stock i wouldnt worry about that obstructing my view.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
well, im not 100% sure what guages i want, but i definatley want the essentials, so if i can get a majority of people saying which ones i need then il get those. so Boost, A/F, are the recurring ones people are saying so obviously i need those 2. i thought the pillar guages would obviously be more in view but do they obstruct your view at all? since my hoods 2 in taller then stock i wouldnt worry about that obstructing my view.
I personally would get the following gauges in the order presented.

1. Wide Band A/F Meter.
this is your biggest indicator about the safety of your motor.

the wideband are accurate to 0.1 and sometimes 0.01

this will let you know when the motor is running Rich, Lean...or just fat dumb and happy (ideal).
2. Boost Gauge
to be honest, no real reason to have one.

but it is nice to see the pressure you are running...and if you get a compound vacuum/pressure gage you can see the manifold vacuum when not in the boost.
3. Ford Racing Performance Information Center
just kinda cool IMO
4. Oil Pressure
again, not needed. you have the idiot light on the dash, but it's always nice to have a better indication
5. Tranny Temp (automatic)
when making hard runs, you really should be aware of the temps going on down there.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
well, im not 100% sure what guages i want, but i definatley want the essentials,
Do some research on IAT temps as it relates to SCs. You may change your mind about skipping the IAT gauge.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

so do manuals not need a tranny temp gauge? (mines a manual)

and il look at the IAT. if i spend 4500 on a SC an extra hundred on a guage isnt going to put that much bigger of a whole in my wallet lol

Quick Reply: what blower guages should i get?