Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you get your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I didn't steel it I just drive it that way sometimes.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I have had the pleasure of driving a lot of 60's supercars such as Olds 442, Pontiac GTO, Cobra Jet and Boss 302 Mustangs...I have always been into cars and hung out with the "moble" crowd.

But when it came to my choice of buying, I chose Italian. Especially Fiats. I still own a Fiat (Bertone) X-1/9. Honda became my choice for DD's.

Well, my 02 Acura RSX Type-S was approaching 140,000 miles and I started thinking about a replacement. In early October, my wife notced that a local dealership was having a sale on Mustangs. We noticed a blue 2010 blow by us on the highway a few days earlier and she said she liked the style.

Cut to make this short...The salesman tossed me the keys to this Sterling Gray loaded beast and allowed me and the misses to take it out for a spin.

As I entered the highway, a BMW was annoyed I was merging onto his lane and after pulling close to my tail, pulled out to pass....

You all know what happened next. One Beemer, dusted!

I took the Mustang back to the dealer and bought it. I haven't regretted one moment of owning this car since.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

How'd I get mine?

The short version is pretty simple - it had been about six and a half years since we'd bought the previous car, which had become my wife's DD. So it was "my turn". Getting a manual transmission was (and still is) non-negotiable, and the only other guidance was a rough $$$$$ figure, that it be reasonably easy to get in and out of, and that finally there was no need for four doors or lots of rear seat room.

A neighbor across the street had come up with a sixxer version of the S197, and from all appearances it looked like a genuinely nice car. This being my thoughts coming from a point of view "outside the Ford community", as it had been 25 years or so since I'd last owned anything with a Blue Oval on it.

In the fall of 2007, Sam Strano and I talked a bit about Mustangs between runs at a couple of autocrosses (and I got a peek at what these cars could do in more than just a straight line). That's probably what finally set the hook.

But it was another two or three months before we actually set foot inside a showroom with a clear intention of taking a test drive, and then maybe sitting down and ordering one. That it be a GT of some sort was a given. The GT500 was a little too pricy and I prefer the lighter weight and lesser complexity of the normally aspirated (and shorter stroke) engine anyway. We looked at and briefly considered both a convertible and a Bullitt, but ended up with the GT because I like the lines of the coupe a little better and because the basic GT could be fitted out closer to the way we wanted than could the Bullitt.

It's been a case of the right car at the right time.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-19-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 AM
AshGT
1st Gear Member

I had a straight 6, '67 in high school and for the first few years of college til we(the parents and I) decided it wasn't up to the task of being a reliable car for me anymore.

Fast forward 6 years or so and the s197's come out and I was instantly wanting one, but I already had a truck I was making payments on, and they're not exactly practical here in MT.

Fast forward another 4 years so and I'm driving down to my parents place for thanksgiving and my truck has the CEL on, and is throwing all sorts of codes. I said screw it, drove to the closest big 'city', saw a black 2008 GT manual in the lot, and after about 3 hours of negotiating, the rest is history It's still not very practical here, but with some blizzaks it does alright in the winters.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Back in 2007 Burd Ford was offering a free tank of gas for a test drive. So I thought what the hell. I had a truck and this was when gas was getting expensive so I went to the dealership. Test drove a Vista Blue 2007 mustang Gt. I told the salesman i wanted to take it out on the highway and thought id be out for about a 1/2 hour. He said sure take it for however long i wanted. So about 2 hours later i came back. And thats when he really started to push the sale. I was hesitant as i was getting ready to take a vacation. And i hadnt talked to my bank about a loan or anything. So he then talked me into taking the car for the week while they kept my truck. So hell i took her on vacation and went and talked to my bank and when i came back to the dealership. I said I wanted to take her home. We negotiated and I got a brand new gt for 24k after trade in.

Since having my mustang. I have tinted the windows, cai and tune, 410's (automatic) increased fun factor ten fold!! Some inside mods as well. I currently have almost 20,000 miles. cant wait for spring. on the downside the dealership in which i bought my car. The owner committed suicide for what they say was b/c of financial strains.

Crazy but i would reccommend this dealership to anyone that lives in indiana or the surrounding states.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I bought my first one brand new when I was 17. I started eyeing them when the did the redegin in '99 so I started saving up for one immediately. By the time the 2000 models came out I had enough cash to buy a GT but not enough to pay for insurance so I bought the v6 instead. The v6 turned out to be the best choice for me at the time due to it being not only my first car but first rear wheel drive car. And it had plenty of power to get a 17 year old in enough trouble. Then in april of 09 I had an incident with my pony involving a corner, wet grass, and a light pole. So while my v6 sat in the garage needing a new quarter panel, I was on to looking for a car. I knew I wanted another mustang and it had to be new. I test drove a new 09 GT and it was nice but with a sticker of 32k and the dealer only wanting to come down to 27k even though there were 2 2010 GT next to it, it was too much. So I went to another dealership to look at the 2010 v6's which were more in my price range. As soon as I drove up I saw a vapor 08 GT sitting there and even though I really wasnt interested in buying it I walked over to look (you know how it is). Started talking to the saleman about what I was looking for and he tells me that the GT was a certified used premium with only 6852 miles on it and previous owner had purchased it new from their dealership and only had it for 4 month before he traded it in for a GT500. Car still had the window sticker and all the original paperwork and manuels in it. So I asked what they wanted and after 30 min settled on a price of $19500. So now there are two ponies in my garage.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 02-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I was getting out of the army and had to sell my 66 mustang. Since I was getting rid of it, I figured I didnt need my truck anymore and I still wanted a mustang. Bye bye pick up
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 AM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

Back when I was 20 I had a 70 Mach 1, It was in ragged shape. I was raising a family and money was tight, Had to sell it! A while back I was car shopping with a friend. I seen a 2006 GT that brought back the memories of the one I lost years ago! I had a Porsche 911 and decided it was time to sell it and try to get back what was lost! I really enjoy the Mustang. Now that the kids are out of the house its my time to build the car I wanted!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

I had an 89 V6 that I purchased for 1000 bucks when I was 16 and just got my liscence, drove it for about a month then got a DUI. Needless to say I didnt drive for about 5 years after that, insurance issues with the DUI, school etc.... BTW the DUI, I stopped drinking that night at 12am and didnt drive home till 7am, cop followed me all the way home and pulled behind me in the driveway, saying he stopped me for "making a wide turn int the driveway"?. No excuse I know but just sayen.
Finally after working a couple years after school, I bought a 91 GT. Loved that car. The wifey brought along a 2000 ranger and thats what we decided to keep. Once it crapped out she needed something for work so bought her a new 05 focus (first new car purchase). Well it didnt actually crap out but we were worried with 200000+ miles I didnt want her getting stranded.
Now that the focus is piad for its my turn! Second new car purchase! haha.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

In early 2004 when Motor Trend came out with pictures of the new S197 Mustang my heart melted and I knew I had to have one! As a kid growing up in the '60s, I was in love with Mustangs especially the '69 Boss. My neighbor had a blue one that I would sit on my front porch and drool, wishing I was old enough to drive! Man was that car beautiful!
In 1978 (my senior year in high school) my mom bought a '78 Mustang with the V8. It was dark blue with a tan top and leather interior. It was a nice car, but I wasn't in love with that body style. Then one day in '84 I was walking through a dealership on my way to a local 7-Eleven and noticed a bad-*** looking '82 Mustang GT 5.0 sitting on the lot. A salesmen saw me checking it out and asked if I would like to test drive it. I knew if I did, I would end up buying it. They were only asking $8999 for it and it was loaded, T-Tops and all with only 6000 miles on it.
I kept that car in pristine condition for 20 years. The interior as well as exterior looked new.....no tears or rips. Mostly all original OEM equipment. My husband complained that I didn't drive the car that much and he really needed the garage space for our business. So I reluctantly posted the car for sale. I couldn't believe the amount of response and from different parts of the country. I wanted it to go to a good home to someone who was going to take care of it like I had been doing. I sold it to a car collector who wanted to use it as a show car. I told my husband as the guy was hauling it away, that I would be buying a new Mustang.
Fast-forward to Dec. 23, 2006....we were shopping for a Truck/Van that would be big enough to use as a delivery truck. After searching, I found a new one that was on sale....being it was a 2006 and the end of the year, I got it for a great price. As we were walking around the lot, I told my husband I wanted to check out the Mustangs. He knew that my heart longed for another one, so he didn't say a word but actually looked around too. He too didn't care for the big fogs on the GT, but really liked the look of the Pony Package. After having a GT, I really didn't care about the hp, it wasn't like I was going to be racing every Tom, Dick and Harry....I just loved the new style! So I told the salesmen I wanted a manual Vista Blue Pony Package with leather and the interior upgrade package. Unfortunately, they had no manual V6 on the lot. He called to their sister dealership to find out that the car I was looking for just arrived on a car carrier.....talking about luck! I told the salesmen "go get my car!".
I paid cash for the truck and Mustang that day......it was very good Christmas that year.

Quick Reply: How did you get your Mustang?