Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you get your Mustang?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default How did you get your Mustang?

Well, I have sort of an interesting, sentimental story about how I acquired the rose. Last year, I decided I would ditch my 86 Honda and get a car that was worth the asphalt it rolled on.

Let me rewind as to HOW I was going to make the switch from a base model, pine-green honda civic to a smokin' hot muscle car. Back in 06 I was hit, as a pedestrian, by a drunk driver in a Chevrolet Suburban. I had a lot of grotesque, painful injuries, but made a full recovery. Anyway, naturally my parents sued the guy. The insurance gave us a pretty decent settlement, enough to pay for my home business, UT enrollment, and my car.

I was going to get a Jeep Wrangler; I was almost SET on a jeep wrangler. Me and my dad went out to a Carmax to test drive one or two. We test drove 2 Wranglers, a Rubicon, and an FJ Cruiser. (I always thought the FJ was kind of hot for an SUV) and, long story short, we weren't exactly impressed with the fun factor of the trucks. Anyhow, as we stated we would sleep on it, my dad began to eye the Mustang convertibles across the street. Being that it was a great day, he decided to test drive a black V6. I could go into the details, but, he bought it. We went shopping for my car, and he bought a new car.

(Here it is today after stripes, hood pins, and new rims)

Again, I'm going to kind of cut back on the detail to not bore you guys, but after driving the V6 around for a while I fell in love with the Mustang, and decided not to buy a Jeep. Mustang it was. I spent the next couple months racking my brain about what Mustang to get, however, much like Matafy is doing right now, and I joined the Mustang forums. After looking around the forums for a while I had found that the GT model was preferred here. So then, without having ever driven a GT, I had a grand idea; Torch Red GT Coupe with Roush louvers and white stripes. I had a price budget of about 22k, though. So May rolled around, and on May 31st I went car shopping yet again. We looked through several dealerships, but I couldn't find what I wanted AT ALL. It was awful. But at Bob Tomes Ford, we saw something interesting; I could get a brand new 08 Torch Red V6 for only 21 grand. My dad kind of pushed me into it; he said it was the "smart" thing to do. I kind of nodded and smiled, and reluctantly agreed to get behind the wheel. It was a pretty sad moment; I was 17, my dad had basic control over my car choice, and if I was to get an 08 V6 because it was smart, it was going to happen. I took it to an old parking lot and punched it around a little bit; it was different than the 'vert. This was a base model six with cloth seats, no shaker, nothing but the name. I just...didn't feel it. But it was "smart". So we basically decided to go with the V6.

We told the salesman we would probably be back, but we wanted to check one more place. We told him that there was a 99% chance we would be back.

We went back to the Carmax where I had first test drove the Jeeps. We looked around, and at the back of the lot, was this beautiful dark red GT, and as we approached it it just kept getting better...18" wheels, red leather interior, Shaker1000. This car was absolutely perfect. I asked if I could test drive it, and was granted permission...this was my first instance behind the wheel of a V8. This car just seized my heart the minute I floored it. My dad was completely, for lack of a better word, flabbergasted. "You would prefer a 3 year old car with 35,000 miles on it to a brand new car?", he said.

Yeah.

Last edited by UpTo11; 02-18-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i searched online at the local dealers for a black GT with a stick, found 1 new and 1 used. Went to dealer after work and signed for the new one.

/story

Last edited by howarmat; 02-19-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

my 2006 v6 was totaled, i got more than i paid for it, used that to buy a 2007 gt

my dad told me he was going on a business trip, i dropped him at the airport, he went to chi town, got picked up by the dealer and taken to a small town in iowa, drove it home, called me late at night, told me to come outside, (his friend just got a ferrari f430), he told me i should come hear it. I was so tired I was like ill do it tomorrow, and then he was like fine, so he pulled into the driveway and revved it high, (w/slps) and I was like holy ****t man thats not a ferrari! And I ran outside to see my new gt, which was paid for by my insurance money! hell yeah hell yeah
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Knew I wanted one. Checked Ford's website for what stuff came on various models. Opted for the most basic one with no options. Signed all the papers to buy one from the dealer - who had the car brought in from an out-of-state dealer.....at which point I discovered FORD'S WEBSITE SUCKS!!!!

It was totally inaccurate in describing the difference between various mustang models. What I didn't get in the basic model is the metallic spoked steering wheel and metallic colored dash panels. I'd much rather have had that than the all blacked out look that I ended up with. I also would have preferred the extra gauges that the not-basic model has (forget that the different models are called). Again - none of this was described by Ford's website.

Well...it took some time but what I have has grown on me....and I don't have to worry about the leather steering wheel wearing and peeling...because my steering wheel is all rubber.

I'm happy with what I have. But it I did it over, I would have bought the next model up.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Stole it from a police impound lot. j/k

My beloved 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme SX with the 4-4-2 engine (455 cu in, 365 hp, 500 lb-ft of torque) was dying after 36 years.

I prefer to buy American, and GM's quality was generally atrocious. I wanted a V-8 and rear wheel drive. So, in July 2006, I started emailing dealerships about ordering a 2007 Mustang from the factory. I got one particularly nice email response, checked on the reputation of the dealership, and went to see the salesman. He was the fleet sales manager, and had previously been a tech. He was in a position to do everything for me--no checking with someone else. We agreed on the price. He ordered the car, kept me informed as to the status of its build, transportation, and arrival. He handled all the paperwork when I took delivery, and demonstrated the operation of the car to me. Going from a 1970 to a 2007 was kind of daunting.

I'd buy another car from that dealership, except they went out of business.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Slick61
1st Gear Member

I bought my first Mustang in 2001, an '86 GT 'vert that I loved. But when the bottom end went on the 5.0, I started looking at costs for a full restoration & couldn't justify it. So, I sold it in '05. Six months later, I found myself looking for another Mustang. Ended up buying a clean, low-mileage '01 GT 'vert in triple white. I REALLY liked that car. A few years later, I sold the '01 GT when I bought the Cobra. Fast forward another two years & I found myself missing the Mustang again... there were just too many places I couldn't take the Cobra to, without worrying about leaving it unattended. So... back in the hunt again. Had forgotten how hard it was to find a CLEAN, low-mileage Mustang for sale in L.A. at a decent price. My one other requirement was that it MUST have a black top, as it had been next to impossible to keep the white top clean, and I knew the parchment color wouldn't be much better. Wanted an '04 (I liked the New Edge styling), but stumbled across this '05... only 22k miles, and not a single ding, dent, or scratch. As soon as I saw it, I knew I was going to buy it... and I did. It now keeps the Cobra company in the garage. Life is good...

my first stang... '86 GT 'vert...

then came its successor... an '01 GT 'vert...

and now to my current '05 GT 'vert...

... and it's garage companion...

Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Well, i originally wanted a mustang, but since they were so new at the time i didnt think my parents would cough up the cash for one, so i went to wanting a honda element, i surf, paintball, snowboard, etc, alot of outside activites, so that woulda been convienient, but my dad and brother made fun of me and stuff since i wanted that, but it woulda been an awsome ****'n wagon since you can put up curtains and put the seats down to make a bed

unfortunatley after i moved on from that i decided more sporty so i wanted an 02 pontiac trans am. unfortunatley the amount of trans ams that were manual were so scarce that it sorta became out of the question.

after that i really wanted a toyota spyder because its fast and would have been a convertable. but i soon came to my senses and was like, "what the **** am i thinkin?" and bailed on that.

then one day i was hanging out with my friend and came home and walla! red beast was sitting in my driveway! i was pretty damn happy!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

To the OP - Are we the same person?!?!

When I was shopping for a car, I was on the wall between a Jeep Wrangler and the Mustang. I saw the "fun" benefits for both (I was considering the four door Wrangler at the time). It got to the point where I postponed buying a new car for a year because I just couldn't make the decision, even though I had the monies to do so.

I had been driving a very much used 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback, 4-Speed (Completely Stock) for about five years. In those five years I've had so many problems with the car and dumped so much money trying to keep it alive. Worst part was that it didn't have A/C (And I live here in FLORIDA). One day, working overtime on a Saturday, I was heading home and it started to rain. Well, with no A/C and high humidity, you can bet your *** it started to fog up like crazy. I alway had to deal with that when it rained. So I pulled over since I can't see ****, and it was like an hour before it stopped. I was super pissed at the car and raced home, jumped onto the CarMax website, looked for a Mustang, and found the one I had been wanting. It was Red, Manual, had the Bulliitt rims, and most importantly, V8. All for 21k. You can bet your *** I hauled *** over there to grab it.

When I walked inside a salesman asked how he could help me. I could see through the store through the back door, all the way in the back lot the Mustang sitting there looking at me. I simply pointed at it from where I was standing and said "I want that Mustang." The rest is history
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I had a '98 Jeep Cherokee for my college years, but when senior year rolled around the Jeep had some major problems. It would plain just shut down while driving down the road about every mile. Put it in the shop 4 times to try to get the problem fixed. All I wound up with is a car that no longer had a first gear (it was an auto). So in between the car shutting of randomly and only having gears R,2,3&4 I decided that the car was a death trap and I refused to drive it.

So I called my dad and explained what happened and he said I had a choice. He was going to give me some money as a graduation gift in the spring and that I could use that money as a down payment on a new car or put it towards a used one. I decided that I was going to get a Mustang GT manual coupe. There wasn't much to that decision.

Well, my dad had another opinion. He was only going to allow a V6 auto and he preferred the 'vert as he had recently purchased an eclipse 'vert himself. With that car BTW, he discovered that cars could be something more than a means from getting from A to B.

Well my dad came up, and we went to the dealership and I explained to him that I appreciated what he is doing for me, but at the same time if he forces me to get a V6 auto, the first day I get out of college with a job I was going to go to the dealer and get a GT manual coupe. So I said, it would be a tremendous waste of money to not get the GT right off the bat. He reluctantly accepted.

He said to keep the car pretty much stock as well. We all see how that turned out.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I sold my Harley to get mine. Interesting story. My X-wife and I were big into the Harley scene. We both rode. We were in the local HOG chapter. Did alot of trips, made alot of friends (so I thought) as a couple. We get divorced which was clean and amicable by the way, but the so called friends drop like flies. I guess taking her side because you know all us men in divorces are pure scum whether anyone has the facts or not. Really pissed me off. I now hated the HOG chapter and the so called HOG experience that supposedly was so rich in "brotherhood". Yeah right, maybe till the chips fall. People can be so fake. Especially Harley people. Yeah, that's right. And I was one of em for over ten years. Me? I wasn't fake or a poser. Hell I'm a mechanic. Aint nothing glorious in that. I still have a few Harley friends. The true ones that don't ditch you when things go wrong or ditch you just because you don't own a Harley anymore. I can count them on one hand by the way. Anyway, got outta the poser Harley scene, sold the bike this past September and hunted for my convertible GT in black and red and found it with 17k miles. Having the top down is the next best thing to a bike, thats why I love having a vert. Plus I've missed having a sports car. Besides these days it's just been more dangerous riding the roads on the bike. People texting, talking, not paying attention. I've had close calls with cars and have witnessed several accidents in the 10 years I've ridden. That also helped me make my decision. I wouldn't trade my vert for anything now.

Ok, everyone dry your eyes now and call your counselor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How did you get your Mustang?