Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Driveline Clunk

Hey guys! Ever since I installed LCA's, UCA and a UCA mount, I've noticed a slightly audible clunk whenever I tap the gas pedal while cruising. The sound seems to come from the rear; under the rear seat. The clunk is louder if I do some spirited driving/shifting. Is this normal? I have J&M street/race LCA's, Spohn UCA, UPR UCA mount. I made sure that everything was torqued down properly during the install. I read somewhere that the more aftermarket suspension parts you have, the more you'll hear or notice clunking from your driveline because the new parts have tighter tolerances and no longer absorb the noises but rather transmit them. It doesn't make me feel any better though. FWIW, my pinion angle is pointing down at -2 (OEM D.S.)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Well, it could be a number of things but I would ring UPR tomorrow and verify their upper CA mount has a 14mm hole. If it has stock-ish 16mm holes, thats where your clunk is coming from. Mine drove me crazy until I installed Steedas "spacers" that will fix it:

Stepped Spacer Details
This spacer is designed to fix the problem with the OEM upper link. At the attachment point for the upper link to the chassis mount Ford uses a 14mm bolt, but the opening in the mount is 16mm. This is not typically a problem with the OEM mount as it uses a soft hydra mount bushing to soften this. But once an aftermarket upper is installed with a urethane bushing can transmit this noise or clunk. This space can be installed with all aftermarket upper that still use a 14mm bolt. The stepped spacer takes up the slop and eliminates all noise from the upper. Note, it does work with aftermarket chassis mounts with smaller then 16mm bolt holes.

Looks like UMI carries them as well and their upper CA mount has the 14mm holes. i like the response in this thread. i thought the same thing! http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...m-spacers.html

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 02-22-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Well, it could be a number of things but I would ring UPR tomorrow and verify their upper CA mount has a 14mm hole. If it has stock-ish 16mm holes, thats where your clunk is coming from. Mine drove me crazy until I installed Steedas "spacers" that will fix it:

Stepped Spacer Details
This spacer is designed to fix the problem with the OEM upper link. At the attachment point for the upper link to the chassis mount Ford uses a 14mm bolt, but the opening in the mount is 16mm. This is not typically a problem with the OEM mount as it uses a soft hydra mount bushing to soften this. But once an aftermarket upper is installed with a urethane bushing can transmit this noise or clunk. This space can be installed with all aftermarket upper that still use a 14mm bolt. The stepped spacer takes up the slop and eliminates all noise from the upper. Note, it does work with aftermarket chassis mounts with smaller then 16mm bolt holes.

Looks like UMI carries them as well and their upper CA mount has the 14mm holes. i like the response in this thread. i thought the same thing! http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...m-spacers.html
Thanks for that link! I had a feeling it might be the UCA mounting hole because, when I installed the 14 mm bolt, I could tell there was some play between the bolt and the UCA mounting holes. The holes are probably 16mm. I'll try those spacers and report back on whether that was the problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Def let me know because that Spohn UCA is next on my mod list, replacing the BMR. The lower CA's and panhard with del-spheres haven't been noisy for me but I'm worried about the del-sphere on chassis-side, i.e. the upper mount.

Steeda also sells the spacers, part# 555-4110 http://www.steeda.com/products/adjus...ontrol_arm.php
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Def let me know because that Spohn UCA is next on my mod list, replacing the BMR. The lower CA's and panhard with del-spheres haven't been noisy for me but I'm worried about the del-sphere on chassis-side, i.e. the upper mount.

Steeda also sells the spacers, part# 555-4110 http://www.steeda.com/products/adjus...ontrol_arm.php
What's wrong with your chassis side del-sphere?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I don't have one on the chassis-side...yet. I only have the combo poly/sphere LCA's and panhard. If yours quiets down with the shims I plan to purchase the Spohn delsphere UCA to complete the set.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

UPR emailed me today about their UCA mount holes and they said it's 14mm. I could've sworn there was some play between the 14mm bolt and the mount holes when I installed it. Anyway, while driving to and from work today, I listened carefully and noticed the clunk also seems to come from just under me so it could be the driveshaft u-joint or driveline slop. I might just get the spacer from UMI anyway and see if I can install it. If the spacer fits then we'll know the hole is really 16mm.