Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of Boomtubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

how would you compare the sss and boomtubes?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

A friend of mine has a full MAC set-up: L/T, O/R Prochamber and MAC axlebacks. Sounds good and has that hollow sound, but it's not nearly as deep as my old set-up: prochamber w/hi-flows and magnapacks. A chambered muffler will get you the hollow sound and a straight thru muffler/axleback like the pypes M80, stingers, bassani race and magnapacks will give you a deep base sound.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
how would you compare the sss and boomtubes?
The SSS sounds more hollow in its depth of sound and smoother while the boomtubes are were just loud and deep. I'll try to make a video of the SSS when weather permits.

Originally Posted by gman73
A friend of mine has a full MAC set-up: L/T, O/R Prochamber and MAC axlebacks. Sounds good and has that hollow sound, but it's not nearly as deep as my old set-up: prochamber w/hi-flows and magnapacks. A chambered muffler will get you the hollow sound and a straight thru muffler/axleback like the pypes M80, stingers, bassani race and magnapacks will give you a deep base sound.
I really like the hollow, airy and deep sound of the MACs. Sounds more like a big block to me. I guess I'm steering away from "race" type mufflers and going to the old school muffler style.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
The SSS sounds more hollow in its depth of sound and smoother while the boomtubes are were just loud and deep. I'll try to make a video of the SSS when weather permits.

I really like the hollow, airy and deep sound of the MACs. Sounds more like a big block to me. I guess I'm steering away from "race" type mufflers and going to the old school muffler style.
I like the sound of MACs and I wouldn't mind picking up a set of used ones so I can switch axlebacks from time to time. I wonder if they would be too quiet for my set-up: prochamber w/hi-flow cats and 12" resoantors.
In case you are interested there someone looking to swap MACS for SLP LM. I am not sure, but he may consider boomtubes.
Are you going to Fabulous Fords Forever?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
I like the sound of MACs and I wouldn't mind picking up a set of used ones so I can switch axlebacks from time to time. I wonder if they would be too quiet for my set-up: prochamber w/hi-flow cats and 12" resoantors.
In case you are interested there someone looking to swap MACS for SLP LM. I am not sure, but he may consider boomtubes.
Are you going to Fabulous Fords Forever?
I plan to get some hi-flow cats sometime soon so our setup would be nearly identical. I have resonators right now. Just to give you an idea of what your setup might sound like, check out Deekum's old vid of his stock catted prochamber with MACs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RODT7...eature=channel

Yours would be identical if not louder. Sounds pretty good!

By the way, I live in Nor Cal so the Fabulous Fords Forever show is too far for me and I could never find free time to drive down.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Hi-flows made an improvement in the sound. It got rid of the raspiness I was hearing in the mid to upper rpm range, also got rid of the unburnt fuel smell and gave me back a little low end tq.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:04 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Well...I ordered the MAC axle backs after running for three days with the SSS. Hahaha. I can't believe I'm changing something so quick already. Don't get me wrong...the SSS sounds good since I've had more driving time with them but I want something that I can really hear from inside the car so I can feel like I'm driving a true muscle car. The SSS are just too stock sounding at cruising speeds for me. I'll try to make a video of the SSS today so I can sell them later to anyone who wants a muffler that is a bit louder and deeper than stock and with no drone while cruising.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

You will love the macs
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I recieved the MACs today and just finished the install and drove around for a bit on the freeway. Wow, I love these mufflers! They're deeper and throatier than the SSS. It's got that hollow sound I love and that's intensified by the o/r prochamber. These things don't drone as bad as I thought from all the negative posts about them. Perhaps it's because I have resonators? Hmmm...
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

are the macs deeper than the boomtubes? how would you compare the volume level?

Quick Reply: Tired of Boomtubes