Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Install Soon...a few Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Install Soon...a few Questions??

I went to the muffler shop to schedule my install. I have a few questions about what I was told.

First I asked that my Flows be clamped on instead of welded. The guy told me that my stocks would be cut off but that the flows would be clamped on. I did this because I want an O/R h pipe and the shop cant install it because they could lose their license. Does that sound right about cutting off the stock mufflers?

Also The tips he suggested are a double walled stainless tip that look good to me. Do the tips have any affect on the sound?

Last but not least is the price. I am getting two chamber Flowmasters installed for $250. Does that sound like a good price? And I know I could install myself but I couldnt find Flows online for a much better price.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

No, no, no. Go somewhere else. They don't know what they are talking about and they're about to mess up your car.

The stock mufflers have clamps just like the aftermarket mufflers. They unbolt and slide off - after the muffler bracket hangers are removed. If they cut the stock mufflers off, there will be nothing to clamp the new mufflers to.

I highly recommend you do this yourself if you can turn a wrench at all. Trust me, it is easy. The worst thing that can happen is you can't get your new mufflers on there and you drive back to the shop with no mufflers on the car.

You don't even need to jack up the car or put it on a lift. I have changed my mufflers several times, and each time, I did it laying on the ground. Without lifting the car.

Here is a good writeup on how to do a muffler swap.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html

I also recommend using a set of gear wrenches like this

You could use a regular socket wrench, but I find gear wrenches a lot easier to use. And you will use them over and over any time you do anything to your car.

Mufflers are one thing, but a midpipe is something else. It is not complicated, but it is really hard to do without having the car on a lift are fairly high up on jack stands. Its just real hard to get all the pipes aligned right without having the car up in the air.

But your mufflers have nothing top do with what kind of midpipe you get. No muffler adjustment or muffler install should have to be changed because you want any particular kind of midpipe.

Last edited by shanec; 02-23-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I can take off the stocks and then bring the car in?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Why bother? If you're going to be under your car to yank 'em off, why not put the new ones in? Just purchase them from the shop and bring them home and do it yourself. That way you won't worry about them royally screwing up your exhaust system (which it sounds like they will).
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

do it yourself, it's easy!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
AshGT
1st Gear Member

Trust me, if you can get the old ones off, you can get the new ones on. I haven't worked on cars very much at all, but was able to do the swap after work one night.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Wow, both of you have no idea what you are doing. Install your own flows and an o/r h. $250 to take off the stockers and install the flows? Are you nuts? Look on craigslist for a local mechanic if you are that worried and get it done for $20-40. An hour or two it takes tops if you have the right tools and that's with all the fidgeting and fitment issues also.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:45 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Yeah, installing mufflers on the S197 is pretty much a breeze. Of course, you may need to adjust them a little to get them centered.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I spoke to the muffler shop again. Apparently the mufflers he has require the pipes from the stock mufflers to be cut off and welded onto the flows. I had him order me the bolt on version which upped the price $100 which puts the price about the same as the internet prices I got. They should be in tomm and I will install myself. Thanks for all you your responses and for helping me avoid trashing my stockers. I cant thank you guys enough!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Good to see you are installing yourself. The hardest part is wedging in at the right angle to get the bolts above the stockers. Also, the clamps are on very, very tight from the factory. Get a long extension ready for those and some lube oil. I am seeing the price you have above and wondering if they even had the right ones for your car to begin with? Also, flows can be found everywhere online and I'm sure much cheaper. The axlebacks for flows are all bolt on that I've seen.
Let us know if you have any other install questions or problems when you get them?
And good job on doing the install yourself.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Install Soon...a few Questions??