Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD experience with GT500 Spoiler from "thespoilerstore"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM
JT1826

Unhappy BAD experience with GT500 Spoiler from "thespoilerstore"

well i've finally decided to do exterior mods now and after much debate and research i decided to go with the GT500 spoiler. to me, i look at it as why should i spend $300+ on a piece of plastic that will be behind my car?

so after reading such great reviews, i've decided to go with the GT500 spoiler from thespoilerstore, which everyone has been recommending. i originally wanted to go with the roush spoiler but i just cant cope with drilling holes into the side, therefore making the spoiler permanent.

well i just recieved the spoiler Saturday, and i'd have to say, i'm HIGHLY dissatisfied with the quality of this spoiler. it appears to have NUMEROUS little dings on the top viewable portion of the spoiler. it even has sum spots that look to be the result of dripping paint, and even has a 5th hole drilled into the bottom of the spoiler. i intend on using all 4 holes but there's no need for a 5th hole.

anyways, after observing and becoming aware of all of the imperfections of this spoiler, i contacted them.

first they go on to tell me that they do paint jobs that meet "factory OEM quality standards". not gonna lie, the paint match was literally 100%, which i'm very shocked and pleased with. however, having signs of "dripping" paint, in my eyes, is NOT considered "OEM factory" standards.

but my main concern is with all the tiny dings. that doesnt look good at all on a car with NO dents/dings and i'm certainly not going to be putting that on my car.

after exchanging a few emails with them after reassuring its not the paint job i'm concerned about but the defects that are present, i am sent this message in return:

Dear jt18260,

Hi,

I have a few things to take care of today but I will take care of this later. Please wrap that spoiler back up well and make sure the ends are protected. I think I can salvage it by putting another coat of clear on it and sanding it some as long as the paint does not get chipped. I will mail you a return label for that one and send you another one after we inspect it.

Thanks, Travis

- thespoilerstore

ok i'm not much of a genius, but am i the ONLY person who seems to feel like something suspicious is up with this company? i've been told they have "GREAT" customer service, but tell me this, if it was truly outstanding, would they be telling one of their customers that they have a few things to take care of and will instead take care of ur problem later???? and continuing on to where they say make sure its protected cuz they think they can salvage it by putting on another coat of clear. . . . followed by saying they will "send you another one after we inspect it" (it being the original spoiler u received), does that not sound like something crooked going on?

it gives me the vibe that instead of doing their best at making their customers 100% happy, they try to save themselves as much money as possible and try to redo the 1st spoiler to make it sumwat acceptable. if this wasnt the case, then why would they NOT send out another spoiler along with a return label to place on the 1st one they sent u? maybe it's just me being frustrated by their lack of reasoning and attempt to satisfy their buyers. i just dont like the idea of possibly being cheated out of wat i purchased.

after all, how could something with such obvious/noticeable flaws pass QC inspections?? maybe they just place QC stickers on them, idk.

am i the only person to have problems? or is it just that ppl never really FULLY inspected the spoiler themself in bright light? i mean come on, all u need is a flashlight and the "dings/dents" n the spoiler i have now, stand out like a sore thumb. . . . . i wasnt having too much luck with taking pix, so instead i shot a video to demonstrate how noticeable sum of the dents/dings are.

http://tinypic.com/r/2iu9wrs/6

would like everyone's advice on this. should i really just keep this, or indeed send it back and see if they send me a better one?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JT1826
would like everyone's advice on this. should i really just keep this, or indeed send it back and see if they send me a better one?
If you are not happy with what you paid for, and it is indeed shoddy quality, then by all means make sure you take the steps necessary ensure they rectify the mistake.

The video is really hard to get a good idea of the imperfections (pictures probably would have been best if you can manage to get a good one without a flash to ruin it all).

Tons of people have raved about this company, and you might have just gotten the one they did before lunch break.

Not everyone is professional, but if there is a problem, they should be willing to fix it.

Its your car, you should be happy with it, not upset at the flaws everytime you look at it!

Good luck with everything, I am in a bit of an uphill battle with damaged parts myself.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

From what I saw on the vid it looks to be what is called "fish eyes" in the paint which can be wet sanded out and fixed. I'd send it back and let them send you one back with out fish eyes in it. Fish eyes are common in paint if something gets into the paint booth like dust or other contaminates.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
JT1826

Originally Posted by Fred Malibu
If you are not happy with what you paid for, and it is indeed shoddy quality, then by all means make sure you take the steps necessary ensure they rectify the mistake.

The video is really hard to get a good idea of the imperfections (pictures probably would have been best if you can manage to get a good one without a flash to ruin it all).

Tons of people have raved about this company, and you might have just gotten the one they did before lunch break.

Not everyone is professional, but if there is a problem, they should be willing to fix it.

Its your car, you should be happy with it, not upset at the flaws everytime you look at it!

Good luck with everything, I am in a bit of an uphill battle with damaged parts myself.
i understand ur point, i tried to get sum pix but they just didnt express how badly the spoiler is dented. after talking with the ppl from thespoilerstore. it seemed as if they were planning on not replacing it with a new one in the beginning but i was persistance and kept bugging them and insisting that they stand behind their so called "life time" warranty against worksmanship/material defects. i didnt even have the spoiler for a day b4 i noticed all of the defects in it. literally they were noticeable right when i unwrapped it.

i used a video so that i can show the dings in the spoiler by moving them across casted light which allows them to be more easily viewed. seriously, i can only imagine wat a bright sun would make the spoiler look like on a nice day. . . . .

and yea, hopefully ur right, hopefully it was just a case of getting a "lemon" as we would call it if speaking in terms of an automobile.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

don't let it get you down, things will work out, and you'll be moddin like crazy in no time!

on the other hand, it cud be a blessing if this turns you off of modding forever haha.

just kidding, but seriously..
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

im lost, they are telling you to package it up and send it back at their cost. So do it, i wouldnt hesitate at all. I have had mine for over 2 years and have no complaints. Remember its only $90 or whatever also. I am shocked they are as good as they are for that amazing price.

They will fix you up.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
06z28eater
3rd Gear Member

yeah id demand another 1 and say you want a new 1 and then have them include the return label, swap the spoilers out and send that same package back. POW!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

I agree, I've had to return painted parts before. Most places will simply fix it or ship you a new part, no biggie.
I would invest in a spell check program, however.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
bullitt ben
2nd Gear Member

I feel for ya man!

I also ordered one of their spoilers, at first i tought if the paint was crap i would just do it over myself (at least i'd have a good base from which to start with for 90 bucks)but i was surprised to see it came out great, no issues.

Bottom line is, if you are not satisfied they should make arrangements to correct the problem .
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

They are people, I don't think their comments were un-warranted or un-proffesional. He was talking to you like a human being, and just letting you know ahead of time he will take care of you, they just had a couple things to take care of before they got around to you. Who knows, maybe you were the 3rd person in line needing something. You have to remember you aren't the only one ordering from them, so you can't expect them to just drop what they are doing just for you.

But it sounds like excellent customer service that they are even going to pay for the shipping back. I know of tons of places that you are on your own when returning something.

Send it back and be done with it... Good luck.

Quick Reply: BAD experience with GT500 Spoiler from "thespoilerstore"