Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Change Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the lack of info, "huge force" means I put the tool on the piston, in the caliper and bolted back on the brake bracket on the car and used a small crescent wrench on the tool to turn it (I started with the tool that fit into the notches and turning by hand but could not turn it so moved to the non-notched tool). That did work on one side (unless I broke it). Is it possible for the piston to compress without turning? This is the side I am worried I have damaged and would like to check somehow.

On the second side, the piston will not budge - same method as above. How can I reduce the force required?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
After you get the piston reset, make sure you clock it where the notches are positioned as shown in the photo below. One of the notches fits onto a pin on the backside of the in-board brake pad.

As you lower the caliper back over the pads, make sure the pads remain positioned squarely against the rotor and not cocked at an angle, especially when the caliper begins to press against the little springs on the pads.
Not arguing, just curious...if the pin on the pad locks into the notch on the piston head, how does it then turn and adjust for pad wear? The only thing I can come up with is that the piston and head are two peice and the lower part of the piston turns to adjust out for wear. Is the center of the piston head raised enough that the pin will clear at any position?
Thanks,
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fasterplease
Sorry for the lack of info, "huge force" means I put the tool on the piston, in the caliper and bolted back on the brake bracket on the car and used a small crescent wrench on the tool to turn it (I started with the tool that fit into the notches and turning by hand but could not turn it so moved to the non-notched tool). That did work on one side (unless I broke it). Is it possible for the piston to compress without turning? This is the side I am worried I have damaged and would like to check somehow.

On the second side, the piston will not budge - same method as above. How can I reduce the force required?

Thanks.
I do not know if you damaged the caliper by pushing the piston back in rather than screwing it in....I only know that they are suppose to be screwed in. You are going to have to test it to find out if they still work or perhaps someone has better knowledge on the issue.

Checking the simple stuff:
- you do have the E brake off - right?
- the cap open on your brake master cylinder?
- you could try cracking open the bleed screw on your caliper before attempting to screw the piston in
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
Not arguing, just curious...if the pin on the pad locks into the notch on the piston head, how does it then turn and adjust for pad wear? The only thing I can come up with is that the piston and head are two peice and the lower part of the piston turns to adjust out for wear. Is the center of the piston head raised enough that the pin will clear at any position?
Thanks,
The piston actually remains stationary during operation and the purpose of the pin on the back of the pad is to keep the piston from turning. There is another mechanism within the caliper that self-adjusts the piston for brake pad wear and that's what gets turned in when resetting the piston. The integral parking brake also adds complexity.

Refer to the explanation in this link for details on how the caliper parking brake works:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake06.pdf
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I do not know if you damaged the caliper by pushing the piston back in rather than screwing it in....I only know that they are suppose to be screwed in. You are going to have to test it to find out if they still work or perhaps someone has better knowledge on the issue.

Checking the simple stuff:
- you do have the E brake off - right?
- the cap open on your brake master cylinder?
- you could try cracking open the bleed screw on your caliper before attempting to screw the piston in
Yes make sure the parking brake is off.

You might be binding up the caliper tool when turning it; you might have to loosen the nut on the tool periodically to maintain the ability to turn it.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

So, I at least had the easy stuff correct - the park brake was off. I did not have the cap off the master. Interestingly, tonight I wound back the second one (that would not budge by pushing) by turning and it went in easy as anything.

All set now except I found out the rotors are too badly scored for re-surfacing so I am ordering some new ones tonight. For anyone who is thinking "I will give the stock brakes a day at the track to see how they go", DO NOT DO IT! Get proper pads at least.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Default One more question for the experienced ones out there.

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
Yes make sure the parking brake is off.

You might be binding up the caliper tool when turning it; you might have to loosen the nut on the tool periodically to maintain the ability to turn it.
You have helped me so much - the doc with pics and description is very good. I have one more question to understand the piston I am worried about. In case it was not turning as I moved it backward (which could have happened merely by compressing the spring for the hand brake) I want to reset it. What i am thinking is put the old worn pads back in with some spacer between to resemble last spacing of brake when brake was applied then either use foot brake or hand brake to close the brake, remove the old worn gear and properly turn the piston back. Question for the group is: hand or foot brake to do this? and am I way off base?

Thanks.