Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Change Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default How To Change Brake Pads?

Hey,

I'm installing my new Rotor Pro Drilled and Slotted Rotors and the Performance Brake Pads that they offer. I am using Taco Bills How To on the rotors, but I was looking for a How To on the pads. Is there one that ya'll can direct me towards?

Thanks,

Hunter
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Anyone...please???
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 AM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

http://tinyurl.com/chhak6
Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
lol nice! and i agree, i dont think we have a good guide here but they are mostly the same. Just remember you have the screw type for the rears
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

You can "borrow" a kit from like Autozone or Advance for a fully refundable deposit that makes the job a lot easier. The fronts are pretty straight forward. The rears are a bit harder. The rear piston must be screwed in (clockwise) while pushing in on it. This can sometimes be a little tough, but doable. Make sure your master cylinder doesn't overflow.
Be sure to spray the BACK of the pads with a disc brake quiet product to avoid squeal.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Ouch, harsh, whipping out the lmgtfy.com on me...

How do I stop the master cylinder from overflowing. The guy at the dealership said I should remove the cap so that it has somewhere to go...
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ht11121991
Ouch, harsh, whipping out the lmgtfy.com on me...

How do I stop the master cylinder from overflowing. The guy at the dealership said I should remove the cap so that it has somewhere to go...
Don't overfill it. Most people tend to add brake fluid as their pads wear down. Then when they go to push the calipers in the master cylinder overflows because of the excess brake fluid they added without realizing what they were doing.

Remove the cap, do one caliper at a time and you should be good. Once you have the NEW pads on then refill the master cylinder to within spec.

I had trouble finding a tool from Auto Zone.. I got the run around from those idiots and got sold two items, neither of which worked so they got returned and then asked if they had the proper tool for it (I had used one from my cousin once for a change). Those guys had no clue what was going on so I told them not to bother thinking and just go along with their day as usual.

I ended up using the tool that is used to remove the clamp disc for cutting blades on the smaller Dewalt grinders. It fit perfectly amazingly and is a handled tool so I could turn it. It was a bit of a bitch but rather it be a bitch than not be able to get it back on at all.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i actually bought the tools...it was like $25 and a man cant have to many tools
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I use a vacuum brake bleeder to suck the fluid out of the master cylinder. Just don't hit the brake pedal until you refill it. I suck it dry, change the pads, suck it dry again then refill it with fresh fluid and if needed, bleed the brakes with nice clean fluid.

The "kit" you can borrow is a lot better than those little BS things (like that stupid cube thing) they sell. You can also buy a pretty decent kit from Harbor Freight then you have it.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=95

Quick Reply: How To Change Brake Pads?