Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I take a even trade for a 03 Viper?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

I'd suggest signing up on a Viper forum. Learn more. I think I've heard they are fragile cars and the interior gets REALLY warm. I might be confusing that with another car though.

I'm the kinda guy that can look at cars the day after buying a new one, so the excitement of something different could get me in a lot if trouble.

Go see what Viper owners bitch about. Could help you decide one way or another.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

If it were me:
Viper coupe = keep the Stang
Viper convertible = thoroughly consider a trade...

I'm sure you've poured (along with a sizable fortune) a lot of your blood, sweat, and tears into that car. Something so personalized would be ridiculously hard to part with, and you've clearly transformed that Stang into a mobile museum piece.

I don't envy your decision, but I will say that you should most importantly go with your gut. If it feels right, chances are it is right. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 PM
ploe

1. the viper is considerably less practical. would you be willing to sacrifice the back seat, trunk space, etc?
2. i would not feel confortable with making a decision until i've test driven that viper or one that's similar.
3. there will be much less of an aftermarket selection with a viper. this is one of the things i like about the mustang.
4. the viper is more exclusive; that's appealing.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Langor

I did a kelly blue book. I don't know where you live, so I did IL zip code. I added the premium options and put 19000 miles.

Condition Value
Excellent
$33,465
Good
$31,865
Fair
$29,665

Now thats just an estimate of course. But by looking at your mustang, I would definetly keep the stang.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I would keep your car. From what I have read (no personal experience) is the interior gets VERY warm and it is supposedly a pretty brutal car for a DD.

I have heard them (just the other day I heard another) and they almost all sound like a UPS truck. You think it is hard to get a 3v to sound mean, wait til you try the viper.

Maybe you can swing it and this isnt an issue for you, but all your cost will go up: insurance, gas, aftermarket, replacement, etc...

Having said all that, I love vipers, but your car is sweet!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

dude its a ****ing viper!!! go viper all the way 100% viper viper viper
black on black !!! perfect car
Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

That Viper is sssiiiccckkk.. I'd get the Viper. Strangely enough, I was looking at Vipers today in the Seattle craigslist lol.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

I'll bite. I've owned a 2001 RT/10, as well as a twin to the car you are looking at, a 2003 SRT-10. Yes, they ride a bit rough. It is a throwback sportscar, no cruise, no NAV, no power seats, etc. The only traction control is your right foot.
They do get a bit warm in the footwells, the cats are in the side sills right next to your feet. Buy high flow cats from Roe Racing, or delete them, and re-flash the PCM from West Coast Viper, or several others. My '01 made 440ish RWHP with !cats, tubes/filters and a PCM. My '03 made 435 ish RWHP with a Mopar exhaust, and a K&N intake, on a 110 degree day. The torque for both was well over 450. You also need to remember that the car is about 200-300 lbs ligher than your 'Stang, the Viper comes in right 'round 3,400lbs. I'd venture with your blower, body kit, etc, you are closer to 3,700-ish.
Your car looks awesome, and puts out great numbers, but, like my Mustang, is one of thousands built every year. Viper production never exceeded 2k/year, with many years in the 1,300 range.
You will have people take camera phone pics of you, you will meet lots of people at gas stations.
Would I get another? In a heartbeat. In a few years, when things pick up again, it's on my to-do list.

Feel free to PM or email if you want more info.
Poke around over at the two main Viper forums for lots of good info. Viper Club of America, www.viperclub.org , and Viper Alley, www.viperalley.com
Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Almost forgot. This is the cool **** about a hand built car.
http://www.theviperregistry.org/build.php
My 2001 was one of 437 Red/Black roadsters. My '03, (like the one you are considering) is one of 402.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
usmcpony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam I am
I'll bite. I've owned a 2001 RT/10, as well as a twin to the car you are looking at, a 2003 SRT-10. Yes, they ride a bit rough. It is a throwback sportscar, no cruise, no NAV, no power seats, etc. The only traction control is your right foot.
They do get a bit warm in the footwells, the cats are in the side sills right next to your feet. Buy high flow cats from Roe Racing, or delete them, and re-flash the PCM from West Coast Viper, or several others. My '01 made 440ish RWHP with !cats, tubes/filters and a PCM. My '03 made 435 ish RWHP with a Mopar exhaust, and a K&N intake, on a 110 degree day. The torque for both was well over 450. You also need to remember that the car is about 200-300 lbs ligher than your 'Stang, the Viper comes in right 'round 3,400lbs. I'd venture with your blower, body kit, etc, you are closer to 3,700-ish.
Your car looks awesome, and puts out great numbers, but, like my Mustang, is one of thousands built every year. Viper production never exceeded 2k/year, with many years in the 1,300 range.
You will have people take camera phone pics of you, you will meet lots of people at gas stations.
Would I get another? In a heartbeat. In a few years, when things pick up again, it's on my to-do list.

Feel free to PM or email if you want more info.
Poke around over at the two main Viper forums for lots of good info. Viper Club of America, www.viperclub.org , and Viper Alley, www.viperalley.com
Haha Im on Viper Club of America now. My car weighs 3480lbs with 1/4 tank of gas. I just posted this on another forum. I will paste it here.

Thanks guys for the help. Its going to be a hard decision and you guys have brought up some valid points. I bought the Stang brand new and built it from the ground up. One of my biggest problems is this car gets to much attention. Most people would take that as a complement. At first I did but its just getting to be to much. I cant go anywhere without people taking pics or video. Its starting to get overwelming while driving. Almost everytime I go into a store my gf and I walk out and there is a group of people looking in the car, taking pics or video, etc. etc. etc. Im getting nervous someone will key the car or damage it. However I have always wanted a Viper since 1993 (I was 10 yrs old) and I think it will get less attention.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I take a even trade for a 03 Viper?