Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MGW shifter is Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Looks like a great shifter - I've got the Hurst in my V6 and until I fixed the rattle it was a nightmare! Sounded like you're shaking a spraypaint can 3000+ rpm! You know the sound of that little metal ball in the spraypaint can?

Anyway... I recommend anyone considering a new shifter AVOID the Hurst! Hurst's design is stuck back in the 70's... looks cool, shifts fine, but the SLOPPY build quality RATTLES and makes your car sound like a POS.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Hurst has fixed the issue from what I have read doing my own research and some blue locktight in the old ones fixes the problem. If Hurst was truly a POS product they wouldn't be such a popular product among many differant makes/models of vehicles.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

I just called MGW and inquired about the new shifter. It is CONFIRMED this is the new design and it is $250. The lady on the phone said that they have not changed the website to reflect the new design and price, but that they have been adjusting all the incoming orders to the correct price and shipping the new shifter. WOOT!! This new design is for GT only she said also..lol
Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flyingpants
I just called MGW and inquired about the new shifter. It is CONFIRMED this is the new design and it is $250. The lady on the phone said that they have not changed the website to reflect the new design and price, but that they have been adjusting all the incoming orders to the correct price and shipping the new shifter. WOOT!! This new design is for GT only she said also..lol
Thanks for checking into it....I'm picking one up shortly and you answered my questions!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07gtdude
Hurst has fixed the issue from what I have read doing my own research and some blue locktight in the old ones fixes the problem. If Hurst was truly a POS product they wouldn't be such a popular product among many differant makes/models of vehicles.
No offense, but that means SO LITTLE coming from someone who doesn't OWN the product... I've been living with a Hurst for 2 years! BELIEVE ME... lock-tite won't fix it! Comment only if you have ACTUAL experience PLEASE...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
SURF
1st Gear Member

Looks like a really nice piece. I just bought a barely used Hurst for $140 shipped, couldn't pass on that deal, lol.
HURST is deff the way to go it may look simple but thats all you need you dont need all this other junk on it. Hurst has been making the best shifters for over 40 years.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
No offense, but that means SO LITTLE coming from someone who doesn't OWN the product... I've been living with a Hurst for 2 years! BELIEVE ME... lock-tite won't fix it! Comment only if you have ACTUAL experience PLEASE...

No offense taken. My Hurst will be here today via UPS and hopefully it will be installed ASAP so I can get some "actual experience" soon.

No offense, but I have a right to comment when I please, it isnt up to you to dictate to me when I can post. I understand YOU had a truly horrible experience with YOUR Hurst shifter, but like I said, if Hursts products were ALL truly horrible POSs, they wouldnt be in business for as long as they have. I have researched many reviews of the Hurst shifter and found for the price I am paying, it isn't a "horrible POS product" to install on my GT, as long as it is installed correctly.

but I have made my point and don't want to thread hijack more than I already have. The MGW is a nice peice, no debating that.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I wonder if I can get a trade in on my original, lol

YEA I KNOW THAT BE GREAT
Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
ALMOST everyone with the the S197 Hurst has the rattle issue... I have the Billet + version, and the rattle wasn't bad at first, but got worse with more use... I'm curious as to how LocTite would be used to quiet the rattle, as it's in the main pivot ball. The temporary fix I've used, is to spray penetrating grease into the pivot, move the stick around plenty, then spray in some more and re-secure the rubber grommet (it's zip-tied to the inner boot on mine), then put the outer boot bezel back in place. Seems to do away with the rattle for a couple thousand miles. BTW- all fasteners on my Hurst are LocTite'd.
If I were to buy another shifter for my Bullitt (and I've considered it), I'd go with the MGW.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

No offense taken. My Hurst will be here today via UPS and hopefully it will be installed ASAP so I can get some "actual experience" soon.

No offense, but I have a right to comment when I please, it isnt up to you to dictate to me when I can post. I understand YOU had a truly horrible experience with YOUR Hurst shifter, but like I said, if Hursts products were ALL truly horrible POSs, they wouldnt be in business for as long as they have.
Not ALL Hursts suck, just the S197 shifter - the ball/socket rattles - I know what I'm talking about:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ing-hurst.html

Quick Reply: New MGW shifter is Out!!!