Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen sc diy tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys for the responses. You're making me feel better about using a bap. I already downloaded the edelbrock e force install guide and have been looking over that. I used to be able to find all the Saleen pdf install guides real easy before Steve Saleen's operation shut down and mj took over. I feel I could do at least half to 75% of the install myself(also with a buddy helping me lift it on), I also have searched quite a few topics on here about people doing their own installs. My big issue is getting something wrong and just not being able to find my problem or fix it.

Redfire, that is exaclty what I was trying to find out from people's opinion on here. The highest amount of power my car could usefully handle on the streets with my factory suspension. I would love the highest possible number for the $, but there has to be a certain point of useful power out of a twin screw setup on the street. I'm sure I will also need to relearn my throttle with the added sc as I did with my tune with the new shifts after stock.

Thanks guys, keep the tips coming. Think you may have got me feeling better about adding that bap if I get my kit.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

As far as having a stock suspension, I'm only at stage II (around 425ish rwhp) and I can't keep it planted at WOT in 2nd... and that's with full Saleen suspension, J&M lower control arms and 3.31 gears. So, don't expect much traction at all unless you're rocking drag radials and some good suspension mods. I also have to be real careful in the rain, even with street tires I've spun them up quite easily... by accident. :-)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna run 305 DR's all the time, that'll help with traction

on my buddy's 425whp supercharged GT without the 305 DR's on it the power was pretty useless. even when he had normal 305 tires the power was useless in 1st or 2nd.

Last edited by candymanjl; 03-07-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Wow, you guys really got me second guessing even getting the saleen sc for my dd and street use. I want more power, but at the cost I don't know if it's really worth it. If the saleen sc leaves a stock suspension auto worthlessly spinning in first and second?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad281
Wow, you guys really got me second guessing even getting the saleen sc for my dd and street use. I want more power, but at the cost I don't know if it's really worth it. If the saleen sc leaves a stock suspension auto worthlessly spinning in first and second?
That's only at WOT. If you don't hammer on it every time you start you will be fine, there is still plenty of fun to be had. I have an absolute blast driving my vehicle and mine is completely stock except for the saleen stage 3.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

why is it that you dont want to upgrade suspension? i bought uca, lca , lca bracket, panhard bar for about $400. that isnt much after spending 5-6k..
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't have a problem upgrading some suspension parts. I have ridden in quite a few lowered, track suspension setups and the ride was terrible. If I could do the suspension mods and not hurt the ride quality I would be happy to add them to help my car and the possible saleen add on. It also is a vert which isn't as rigid and stiff as the coupe. Will those uspension upgrades hurt the ride of the car at all? I am familiar with the parts listed above, but I haven't ever had a car with an upgraded suspension.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

on my buddy's 04 GT with 425whp all he had were lowering springs and 305 drag radials it was fine off the line. good tires go a long way in helping the rear end
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad281
I wouldn't have a problem upgrading some suspension parts. I have ridden in quite a few lowered, track suspension setups and the ride was terrible. If I could do the suspension mods and not hurt the ride quality I would be happy to add them to help my car and the possible saleen add on. It also is a vert which isn't as rigid and stiff as the coupe. Will those uspension upgrades hurt the ride of the car at all? I am familiar with the parts listed above, but I haven't ever had a car with an upgraded suspension.
Thanks.
I think you're suffering a bit of information overload. Ride quality is generally a function of the springs and struts/shocks. We are not recommending that your car must be lowered in order to take advantage of the power adder. The factory upper and lower control arms are the issue. These parts are stamped steel with soft bushings and are subject to torque deflection that often results in windup, wheel hop and generally poor cornering. With a good quality LCA and UCA you will be better able to take advantage of the power adder and get more aggressive launches with reduced or eliminated wheel spin and/or hop. Most of us lower our cars for aesthetics (we don't like the 4x4 look) which results in changes in suspension geometry and ride/driving quality that has to be corrected. By only installing a better quality aftermarket fixed length LCA and UCA (same as stock length) your instant center and pinion angle are unaffected and your ride quality is the same as before, but you get to excercise your forced induction for more fun, fun, fun!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I agree with RedFire, way too much information in this thread. Here's some more...

Don't worry about streetable issues if your going with 4.0 pulley. If anything, the heavier 20" wheels will slow you down and not spin as much as lighter 17".
BAP is not needed with 4.0 pulley.
Suspension upgrades are not needed for 4.0 pulley.

If its really a money issue, stick with the basic 4.0 pulley and you'll have a great time, very streetable and still loads of fun.

As to installing it...the saleen is probably one of the easiest to install. There are several tutorials on the web on how to install the Saleen. Here's a great one created by a member
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-and-vids.html

and finally...hurry up and buy one, cos the prices keep going up!

Quick Reply: Saleen sc diy tips?