Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory HID headlight change

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Default Factory HID headlight change

When I ordered my car the factory HIDs were not yet an available option. I like the way the Roush Stage 3 looks with the HIDs. Does anyone know if you can swap the standard headlight out for the HID lights easily. Does it require a different harness or just the addition of the factory ballast set-up??
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
When I ordered my car the factory HIDs were not yet an available option. I like the way the Roush Stage 3 looks with the HIDs. Does anyone know if you can swap the standard headlight out for the HID lights easily. Does it require a different harness or just the addition of the factory ballast set-up??
Hey Wil... Do you mean adding aftermarket HIDs? If so, it's very easy as long as you order a good kit. I recommend retro-solutions. It basically comes with ballasts, wiring harnesses, and bulbs..... The bulbs fit right into the factory bulb location. If you mean factory HIDs, I have no clue
Old 03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
whitegt500

well if u want the ford factory HID's u need to be ready to shell out some good $$$$, retail price on those lights go for around $800 per/headlight and the only change u would have to do is replace the pigtail that plugs into the headlight which run around $70 each one.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by discodave
Hey Wil... Do you mean adding aftermarket HIDs? If so, it's very easy as long as you order a good kit. I recommend retro-solutions. It basically comes with ballasts, wiring harnesses, and bulbs..... The bulbs fit right into the factory bulb location. If you mean factory HIDs, I have no clue
I have seen all those kits Dave but I kinda like the factory look HIDs. I did not like them with the center fog lights when i first saw them because the lens size looked odd and made the car look cross-eyed. However, without the center fogs it looks really good.

I'm keeping my options open and retro-solutions will be my first choice if I don't do the Factory HIDs
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by whitegt500
well if u want the ford factory HID's u need to be ready to shell out some good $$$$, retail price on those lights go for around $800 per/headlight and the only change u would have to do is replace the pigtail that plugs into the headlight which run around $70 each one.
I got an email back from the whole-sale manager. Looks like $589 per side and that includes the ballast module that is required. Retail is $896 per side. Steep for sure, but the price we pay to mod....
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
whitegt500

Originally Posted by wilkinda
I got an email back from the whole-sale manager. Looks like $589 per side and that includes the ballast module that is required. Retail is $896 per side. Steep for sure, but the price we pay to mod....
yea i know what u mean, well u might have some luck looking on ebey from time to time along with craigs list and the web site car-parts.com also has plenty of parts on there, u might get a better deal looking around but theres no substitute for new stuff like that, well good luck on the project