Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Help with Brake Rotors

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while, but I need to replace my pads and rotors. I had always heard New Take Off had the best price on rotors, but I noticed that they charge $50 in shipping on 2 pairs of $40 rotors... are they serious? Do they give better shipping rates to forum members or something? I don't think I would have heard all of the good things about them if their shipping charges are really that outrageous.

I also found the OEM rotors on ebay for $31 a pair with $27 a pair in shipping, so they aren't much cheaper... I just feel like there should be a place that doesn't charge the price of the rotors in shipping. If anyone knows of any forum discounts or other places to buy, I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

I've never heard of a forum discount as you speak of, but someone here may be of more help...free bump for cool handle...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

You should upgrade your rotors! Don't get oem
Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I have cross drilled and slotted roroes I had on for a short time before I switched over to Brembos as well as calipers and pads for front if you need.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
You should upgrade your rotors! Don't get oem
I've thought about it, I just don't think it's worth it. The OEM rotors are surprisingly good, they can bring the car to a stop quickly without any problems and they're very thick, so they can handle heat very well too. I've tracked my car a couple of times and done my fair share of autocrosses over the years on this set, so if I can get another 2+ years out of some rotors that go for $80 a set while putting them through their paces, I don't see any reason to upgrade them to a set that costs 4 times as much. The first thing to upgrade on our brake systems is the fluid and pads, which I've done... ATE SuperBlue and I'm about to put on some Hawk Ceramics (I've been very underwhelmed by the HPS pads). You will boil your brake fluid and destroy your stock pads before your OEM rotors ever become an issue, trust me, I speak from experience. If I'm going to spend in the neighborhood of $200 on a brake upgrade, I'll be putting in stainless lines. Granted, that won't be happening any time soon as I'm about due for a new clutch...

I emailed newtakeoff.com to see if they would come down on their shipping charge at all and got an email back within half an hour stating that their system does not take into account bulk orders, it adds the shipping for each item together. The representative I talked to gave me a [very reasonable] shipping quote to include in the notes section of the order. If you need to replace rotors, I would recommend newtakeoff.com. They're a forum sponsor, the best price I found with reasonable shipping, and they have excellent customer service.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I have cross drilled and slotted roroes I had on for a short time before I switched over to Brembos as well as calipers and pads for front if you need.
I appreciate it, but I think I got everything taken care of. Which Brembo setup do you have? Like I said, I've been out of the loop since last summer, has the price of the GT500 Brembo kits come down at all since then?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Justin Y

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I’m interested in your cross drilled and slotted rotors, how much are you asking?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

When I put new rotors on my rear wheels, I went with Centric rotors from Tire Rack. They are a high quality rotor and not stupid expensive. I don't remember what the shipping was.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have seen pics of the so called Take-Off OEM rotors.
They are rusted pieces of SHEIT.
And they dont take-em back.
BAER Decelerators are cheap as OEM and are an upgrade.
PowerSlots are OK but any cross drilled or dimpled rotor
is just adding thinks to go wrong when they are not benificial to stopping.
Old brake pads gassed and the holes relieved the gasses.
Newer pads dont gas nearly as much so holes just lend to cracking
under heavy load.
Cyro-Rotors are also one of the most stabe rotors out there in your price range.
Its your life here.
Skip McDonalds twice a week and invest in some good rotors.
NewTake-off sells rusted leftoutside junkyard grade OEM take-off rotors. AVOID them.
Shipping crazy talking amounts.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I picked up a full set of Baer rotors from CDC a few moths back for like $300 shipped. Not sure if they still have them, they were part of that gear left over from the Foose Stallion failure. They look fantastic on the car.

Quick Reply: Help with Brake Rotors