Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100% gasoline vs.May contain 10% percent ethanoll

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default 100% gasoline vs.May contain 10% percent ethanoll

There is a big difference and if you have a station that sells pure gas you should try it. I did and I'm thinking of staying with it. You enjoy better horsepower the whole nine yards. Our station is Exxon and it is worth it to pay the extra quarters. I can't believe how much we were robbed when they starting mixing 10 percent of this ethanol with our regular gas about a year ago.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Absolutely. As the % of ethanol increases the BTU content decreases as well as fuel economy. I frequently drove the same 420 mile route and it became obvious whenever I tanked up midway with fuel that had a higher ethanol content than the previous tank. Same flat road, same cruise control setting, same road surface and weather conditions and mileage would drop easy 2-4 MPG on occasion.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Yep. Ethanol sucks. Was curious about it a while ago, and I found some helpful info on Hyundai's site.
Company position on Ethanol Fuel

Q: What is Ethanol?
Ethanol is made by fermenting and then distilling starch and sugar crops such as maize, sorghum, potatoes, wheat, sugar-cane, fruit and vegetable waste. The addition of ethanol increases the oxygen content in petroleum. It is sometimes referred to as 'Oxygenated Fuel'. Ethanol also raises the octane rating of fuel.
Q: Can my Hyundai / Which Hyundai's can run on Ethanol?
Hyundai vehicles equipped with Fuel Injection (petrol) manufactured after 31st October 2003 are equipped with fuel systems compatible with alcohol (Ethanol). These vehicles can operate on a maximum of 10% Ethanol / 90% unleaded petrol, however if drive-ability is affected, the use of 100% unleaded fuel is recommended. Ethanol blended fuel mixed at 10% is generally referred to as E10.Hyundai vehicles equipped with Fuel Injection (petrol) manufactured before October 2003 do not have fuel systems compatible with alcohol (Ethanol). If Ethanol is to be used in these vehicles, then a maximum of 10% Ethanol / 90% unleaded fuel (E10) can be used in conjunction with periodic use of a fuel corrosion inhibitor. (The Hyundai recommended inhibitor is available under part number AL009M0002)Hyundai vehicles equipped with carburettor fuel supply systems should not be run on Ethanol blended fuel of any ratio. This is due to both the incompatibility of the fuel lines with the moisture holding characteristics of Ethanol, and to the negative effect on vehicle performance due to the variation of vapour pressures between petrol and Ethanol.
Q: Can Ethanol damage my Hyundai?
Hyundai vehicles equipped with carburettor fuel supply systems should not be run on Ethanol blended fuel of any ratio. This is due to both the incompatibility of the fuel lines with the moisture holding characteristics of Ethanol, and to the negative effect on vehicle performance due to the variation of vapour pressures between petrol and Ethanol.Ethanol is hygroscopic, (attracts and holds moisture) and can therefore accelerate corrosion. The use of E10 (Ethanol blended fuel) may result in negative effects to cold starting, as well as engine drive-ability (‘smoothness') at light to medium engine load conditions. It will also result in reduced fuel economy.
Q: Will it affect my Warranty?
The use of Ethanol at E10 will not affect warranty simply by its use. However, failure caused by Ethanol such as corrosion of fuel injection due to Ethanol's' hygroscopic nature (attracts and holds moisture) will not be covered by warranty.
Q: Is my fuel economy affected?
Ethanol has less inherent ‘heat energy' than petrol, resulting in an increase in fuel consumption (approximately 3% ~ 8%) when blended at 10% with petrol. When mixed with petrol, the Reid Vapour Pressure (which directly effects cold starting performance) is affected. The octane rating of Ethanol is approximately 112 RON, and will raise the octane of the blended fuel. As Hyundai engines achieve best performance and economy with 95 RON fuel, no significant performance gains will be achieved at higher octane ratings.
Q: Is my Hyundai's performance affected?
The octane rating of Ethanol is approximately 112 RON, and will raise the octane of the blended fuel. As Hyundai engines achieve best performance and economy with 95 RON fuel, no significant performance gains will be achieved at higher octane ratings. The use of E10 (Ethanol blended fuel) may result in negative effects to cold starting, as well as engine drive-ability (‘smoothness') at light to medium engine load conditions. It will also result in reduced fuel economy.
Q: What are Hyundai's recommendations?
All Hyundai models manufactured after October 2003 are equipped with alcohol tolerant fuel system components. The use of Ethanol blended fuels in any Hyundai vehicles manufactured before October 2003 is not recommended. Hyundai Motor Company includes the following comments in the owner's handbook: "Gasohol (a mixture of 90% unleaded gasoline and 10% ethanol or grain alcohol) may be used in your Hyundai. However, if your engine develops drive ability problems, the use of 100% gasoline is recommended. Fuels with unspecified quantities of alcohol, or alcohols other than ethanol, should not be used. customers choose to run with up to E10, HMCA recommends that 1 in 5 tank fills is with 100% petrol.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

It might only get worse from here on out.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This is similiar to the 70's when most cars were running leaded fuel and unleaded was introduced. If you weren't paying attention and filled up with unleaded in a car made to run on leaded, you'd have knocking and pinging and performance issues.

I'd like to see those stations that have straight, 100% fuel have some sort of common method of display so you could easily tell as you approached the station.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Here in Eastern Ky we can no longer buy 100% gas. All stations have the 10% Ethanol. It really sucks too because we have a 1977 Trans Am that really doesn't like the ethanol. I have had to replace the entire fuel system including having the carb rebuilt because the ethanol eats all the rubber gaskets and hoses.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

man that is ****ing wrong.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
man that is ****ing wrong.
Got that right. Thing is (and I don't really want this thread to turn political, but...), they want to make it sound like it's an environmental thing - It's not. It's a purely economic/political thing. Think about the resources that have to go into producing that ethanol. Right from the gasoline used in the equipment on the farm that grows the corn on up to refining/delivering it... wasteful. Huge carbon footprint. Ooo, but it's "natural"! Right.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
There is a big difference and if you have a station that sells pure gas you should try it. I did and I'm thinking of staying with it. You enjoy better horsepower the whole nine yards. Our station is Exxon and it is worth it to pay the extra quarters. I can't believe how much we were robbed when they starting mixing 10 percent of this ethanol with our regular gas about a year ago.

You can thank the Chicken Little, "the sky is falling and we're all gonna die!", global warming lemming liberal democrats in Congress for this!

Global warming is a big lie manifested by liberals in an attempt to control the people as much as possible, i.e. force us into driving tiny death trap cars, tell us how much energy we can use or not, etc.

Vote the liberal democrats out in the fall 2010 election!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

hummmm, I'm gonna look around and see if there's a place that doesn't have Ethanol and see if I notice a difference. I go to a place that's close and convenient but it's got Ethanol, next time I need gas I'll try to find a station with normal gas.

Quick Reply: 100% gasoline vs.May contain 10% percent ethanoll