Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning how to drive/controlling the power...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Default Learning how to drive/controlling the power...

As some of you may have read, I recently purchased my first mustang, a 2006 GT, kenne bell supercharged 2.6H FIREBREATHER...Coming from someone that has driven a truck for years, going to a car, especially one with 475rwhp was uh...different, to say the least.

I am fairly young (23), and this is also my first manual transmission vehicle. The car is a complete blast to drive, and it is just down right scarier than HELL, theres just no other way to put it. Basically, I am just having a problem learning how to control the car and put the power on the ground and "hook" for lack of a better term I guess. As of right now, there is no way I could floor this car in 2nd or 3rd gear without the car gettling a little wirly on me. First gear doesn't even need to be mentioned. The car wants to go to the left when it gets "out of control". How can I get better traction? I also have full BMR suspension on the vehicle, so that is going to help I am sure. The weak link is of course my wheels and tires. I am running an 8.5" rim all the way around, with 245/35/20 tires. I know, this is probably a huge part of the problem, but I got such a great deal on the wheels, I couldn't turn it down, thats a whole nother story though.

Basically as I stated, I just want to learn how to be able to floor the car in 2nd and 3rd gear without the back end just wanting to completely cut loose and go to the left. I am talking about in a straight line of course, I am not ready to push the car to the limit while going through turns yet. The car is the biggest rush I've ever experienced, but now I just need to control it Thanks!

Chris
Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Black 05 Stang

buy drag radials for your car there a lil expensive but way worth it. Friend had a 03 cobra and had radials and it hooked amazingly so that would be first. How long have you been driving manual?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 AM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black 05 Stang
buy drag radials for your car there a lil expensive but way worth it. Friend had a 03 cobra and had radials and it hooked amazingly so that would be first. How long have you been driving manual?
I am extremely new to driving manual. That may be part of the problem possibly, but it's more of being able to control the car without the back end wanting to kick out on me when getting into boost. I mean, I've just never driven a car or been in a car that can get alittle out of control at 80mph going down the highway!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Bigcha40
2nd Gear Member

traction control..... but really get you some drag radials..
Old 03-13-2010, 01:54 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

The 245's are your problem lol.

Even with 295+ street tires you would be able to tell a difference IMO.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 AM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
The 245's are your problem lol.

Even with 295+ street tires you would be able to tell a difference IMO.
I figured that was a big problem, but in mind it just didn't make that much sense that it could be ALL the problem...Is getting the back end to stay controlled really all a matter of getting a better tire? Can it really be that simple?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Black 05 Stang

just keep driving before you know it you'll be an expert just go out and drive and go on streets thats dont have much traffic and do alot of stop and go starting from 1st gear cause of course thats the hardest gear to get down. try diffrent techniques and go on youtube and search for basic and advanced manual driving techniques you will learn alot just like everything else in this world you have to practice practice and more practice thats it and also save some money for drag radials cause you are pushing out some serious HP.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Either get bigger and better tires(and wheels) or stop smaching down the pedal on the right lol

You're choice :-P
Old 03-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Feather the throttle.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 AM
nite
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bigcha40
traction control.....
actually, you bring up good point; make sure you always turn your t/c off, as it cuts fuel to the engine when it's activated. not a good thing under boost...

Quick Reply: Learning how to drive/controlling the power...