Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? for my Canadian Brothers/Sisters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

Im in the same damn boat. Ive been trying to get some dd bullitts for a year now from AM. cost of wheels and tires is like $1100.. Getting them shipped bumps it up to $1800. I was hoping somebody knew a loophole of some kind to get stuff here without damn near doubling the price. A week ago I was in the mood to treat my 'Stang to a nice cheap gift, so I was going to buy a $20 polished AC plug from MGW to plug that hole since my original one didnt come in the car. Shipping doubled the price to well over 40.. I was pissed... Just toss the damn thing in an envelope and mail it to me! Let me know if anyone finds a magic way to ship things... like through an underground tunnel or something....
Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 AM
bullitt ben
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I live north of Montreal and i always buy my stuff in the states because performance parts prices here are CRAZY....I get my stuff shipped(most of the time free shipping in the U.S.)
to FREEPORT FORWARDING it is a holding warehouse located right on the other side of the border and they charge like $3.00 bucks per package. I simply cross over to the U.S. get my stuff drive back to canadian customs and pay ONLY taxes on the amount (in Canadian dollars) , no brokerage fee .

There must be a similar holding warehouse in you area.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
mike_kinda
1st Gear Member

Yes your right, I have used it a couple of times. And no matter what you still save money. The price of performance parts here in Canada is ridiculous, so the short trip to the US is always worth it. I just ordered a new set of Sportlines, my best price here was about $370.00 including 13% tax. By having them sent to the cross border pick up they cost me $245.00 and that's including tax and gas money to drive there and back, which is 45 minutes away.
Attached Thumbnails ??? for my Canadian Brothers/Sisters-dsc02268.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ResQman
I was thinking the same thing. I can get tires for my car from Discount tire (including the cost of getting them mounted and balanced, and tire tax, and GST)for almost $500 less than here. But, I have to pay for the duty. Dont know How much that could be either.
No duty, just 5% GST at border if they choose to make you go in. Get all my parts shipped to Montana Shipping outlet at Sweetgrass then pick them. Nominal fees. Contact Barrett at, sweetgrass@montanashipping.com.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Rat GT
2nd Gear Member

I just had a complete suspension (LCA's, PH bar, springs, shocks, struts, HD's) shipped from the states and the shipping was $135, and since I did the paperwork myself, I paid $140 at customs for duty (whatever happened to NAFTA?) and GST.

When I contacted Brenspeed about their CAI and tunner package, the shipping quoted was $35. I know UPS charges on average $45 brokerage fee plus duty and GST. It's not cheap but I think it's what I'm going to do very soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
wolfie
1st Gear Member

I order my parts from AM as they include all the shipping/duty/brokerage fees in their prices.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rat GT
I just had a complete suspension (LCA's, PH bar, springs, shocks, struts, HD's) shipped from the states and the shipping was $135, and since I did the paperwork myself, I paid $140 at customs for duty (whatever happened to NAFTA?) and GST.

When I contacted Brenspeed about their CAI and tunner package, the shipping quoted was $35. I know UPS charges on average $45 brokerage fee plus duty and GST. It's not cheap but I think it's what I'm going to do very soon.
I got burned by UPS brokerage fees once for a graphics card, so I make sure if its shipped by UPS, it goes to Sweetgrass where i pick items up and I don't have to pay the exorbitant brokerage fees, that's what they are, not duty. Like I said if it's over the limit they may ask you to go in and pay 5 % GST. If it originates from the USA, there's no duty, UPS brokers it and you pay the high fees they charge.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:01 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by doode
best option = having it shipped to a PO box / mail center by the USA/ Canada border then picking it up

best case scenario = CBSA waives you thru, worst case scenario = CBSA charges you GST / PST

if you have it shipped from USA to Canada, always try to get them to ship USPS. UPS = u getting raped with brokerage fees
x2 fawking dinks
Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM
mv22

Great replies guys! Will probably deal with Brenspeed and roll the UPS dice or go with American Muscle.

Had a lot of work done on my 04 Cobra (sold) by Steeda.ca. in Milton ON. Wasn't thrilled with the whole experience so I will probably avoid them for future purchases and modifications.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 AM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

I like the idea of shipping it to the holding warehouse south of the border and picking it up myself... But I dont know of any warehouses on the Sask North Dakota border. What sucks is that I used to live less than an hour away from Sweetgrass. If I time it right, maybe I could have my wheels shipped to Sweetgrass, and then go and pick them up next time Im back in the area visiting relatives.

My dad was talking to a local guy that makes his living bringing cars across the border for resale, and the guy said that we could probably arrange for American Muscle to ship the stuff to somewhere where he is picking up a car, and then he could bring them across the border for me when he picks the car up. He said I would still have to pay the duty, taxes and such...

And I dont know how much he was wanting to do this, or how much the duty and tax would be on 1200 dollars worth of wheel/tire. But I may investigate it further.

I still dont understand the whole duty thing? I thought you had to pay duty charges to buy stuff from the U.S and get it across the border, but you guys keep saying that you dont have to pay the duty? Whats the deal?

Quick Reply: ??? for my Canadian Brothers/Sisters