Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....updated!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

guys stop with the legal debate or i will just close the damn thread. None of you are lawyers and none of you know the complete facts of what has transpired. in other words none of your arguing/discussion means jack squat!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Well I go back to my personal experience on this one. Although it was an accident I think the circumstances are very close.

A dealer totaled my $50,000 mustang ($35K plus $15k parts and labor) with 345 miles on a "test drive". My insurance company paid me $33k which I handed over to the dealer. I got my deductible paid to me by my insurance company, after the dealer's insurance company paid back my company. The dealer ordered a new car, and put all my stuff that was salvageable over to the new car. He paid for all parts and labor to do this.

Unless you have a policy that covers enhanced value of modifications, insurance companies will only pay book value in a total loss. In New York State, the "victim's" insurance company pays the owner for the total, their lawyers go after the dealer. My insurance premiums were not affected and this does not count as an "incident" thank god!!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

sent to PM instead.

Last edited by JDWalton; 03-25-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
BlackDeath3

Originally Posted by howarmat
OP, find a lawyer, not a bunch of random idiots on a forum that have no legal background but want to offer up tons of incorrect legal advice.
I agree that he should find a lawyer, but let's at least TRY not to be a dick about it. We're quite free to express our opinions, condolences, incredulous surprise, or other assorted comments on this forum, after all. Blindly taking legal advice from a mish-mash of car junkies over the internet is probably not a good idea. Assuming the OP has a brain, I think we're pretty free to say just about whatever we want. I know I'm somewhat new around here, but come on. Most of us have said the exact same thing you did anyway (without the rudeness), so what gives? Damn. And as for your most recent post, either close the thread or don't, but don't hold it over our head. We came here to discuss and that's what we've done. Again, I'll probably be flamed because I'm new or inexperience here or whatever, but that's my opinion. Hopefully that's OK with you...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
guys stop with the legal debate or i will just close the damn thread. None of you are lawyers and none of you know the complete facts of what has transpired. in other words none of your arguing/discussion means jack squat!
Is a legal debate against forum rules? I agree with you that all of our discussion here will come to nothing in the end, but how does any one of the people in the thread offering advice and justifying their reasoning for it negatively affect anyone? As long as there isn't name-calling and threats I don't see how this could be locked other than because you have the power to. This is a topic that has generated massive amounts of interest among the forum members.

I guess having an interesting debate isn't ok, so we should all go back to the "zomg helpz with my decisin between spoilerz!?!?!" threads where we will say useful things like "that one sucks" and "that ones cool"..
Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you want to have a legal debate i will move the thread to OT and you are free to debate it down there? is that what you would like?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
I have called about 20 different lawyers trying to get help with this issue. None of the ones I called work these kind of cases. I even called the Florida Bar and the lawyers names they gave me don't even work on consumer protection law.

What's the point of fighting it. I'm not gonna get my car back ever. I will never do business with that stealership again. My insurance will give me a check for my car and I'm done with it.
because if you had an actual case, any Lawyer worth his salt would be drooling and you'd have a pack of them fighting to represent you.

nothing gets a lawyers blood pumping like easy money
Originally Posted by JDWalton
Considering he has ignored all this info, and is taking the loss laying down, I would say there is more too it. Also, I would have to say if his insurance is willing to just pay for it, hes not telling them the whole story either, cause if you told them what you told us, they would not be covering it, and would insist the dealer is liable. They would probably send lawyers after the dealer them self, to keep from covering you.

Anyway, as others have said, don't blame Ford, they had nothing to do with that dealer.
and that is the crux of the matter. I hate seeing stories like this on the 'Net. You only ever get 1 side of the story, and that is always of course biased.

Lucky had a ****ty thing happen. We all agree it was 100% avoidable. The follow up however has convinced me that there is a ton of other information that we aren't privy to.
besides the obvious parts we already know about the completely defeated Neutral Start Kill Switch.

Wish you the best of luck. Wish we had video of the guy who remote started the car though. I can just imagine the dumbfounded look on his face...and perhaps he chased the car a few steps before realizing it was futile
Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 AM
BlackDeath3

I agree, Peshields. No, these legal discussions between people who for the most part aren't law experts generally end up where they started, but what's the harm? I may be fairly new here, but I do know that there's nothing wrong with this discussion. Let me rephrase - there SHOULD be nothing wrong with this discussion.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Tylus
because if you had an actual case, any Lawyer worth his salt would be drooling and you'd have a pack of them fighting to represent you.

nothing gets a lawyers blood pumping like easy money

and that is the crux of the matter. I hate seeing stories like this on the 'Net. You only ever get 1 side of the story, and that is always of course biased.

Lucky had a ****ty thing happen. We all agree it was 100% avoidable. The follow up however has convinced me that there is a ton of other information that we aren't privy to.
besides the obvious parts we already know about the completely defeated Neutral Start Kill Switch.

Wish you the best of luck. Wish we had video of the guy who remote started the car though. I can just imagine the dumbfounded look on his face...and perhaps he chased the car a few steps before realizing it was futile
dude the look on his face had to be priceless....hell i am sure the OPs face was priceless to. he had to think it was a joke

but seriously take the money they give you and get a new ride, plenty of stangs out there for 15-18K that are waiting to be modded.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

OK i deleted 8-10 posts

This thread is not about riced out hondas or discussion on forum rules and free speech. Thats what OT and PMs are for. Now please quit be jackasses and try to keep somewhat on topic.

Quick Reply: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....updated!!