Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sadly, got in a real bad accident yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Op, glad you walked away ok. Sorry to see that car in that condition....

This thread in particular is the reason why when I added all my mods I went down to my insurance company with receipts in hand and changed my policy to reflect the mods I have added. My insurance went up $8 a month. Had i not done this, my insurance agent told me that "yes" if my car were involved in an accident they would only be liable to replace damaged parts with factory replacements. So I would have to pay the difference of getting mods added back on....seemed silly to me to have to pay again for the same parts i already paid for.

just advice to those who have mods....if you can add them to your policy so they are covered, do it!!

Last edited by wilkinda; 03-21-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 03-21-2010, 11:50 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

There is no predicting what any particular insurance company will do with it. There has to be a lot of damage under there though. I'd predict it's a total and say you should push for it.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

I am so so sorry.... That was hard to see those pics... Im sorry buddy shes gonna total out tho... both rear rails have buckled... OTL
Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

dude i hate seeing these kinda post glad you are alright
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iDance
That looks totaled, but no one online can determine that as well as an appraiser/adjuster. I'd take it to three shops on my own (preferably high end) and get estimates. If they exceed half the value of the car it will probably be totaled.

Generally, airbags + that kind of damage = totaled.

To answer your question: if you have receipts, there will be no issues. If you don't, it might be a little more difficult to get retail on all of your parts that were damaged (or not damaged if it's totaled), but you will still get the money for them.
I agree completely here... blown airbags means totaled car. Get some quotes and go from there and with the aftermarket parts I would try to get whatever was salvageable off of them and everything else just take for a loss. We have a family friend that does insurance and I remember him telling me that adjusters dont look too fondly on aftermarket performance parts, just makes you more of a risk and that may very well show on you insurance costs... oh yeah and airbags are expensive to replace VERY expensive
Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 PM
SUP3R D4VE
1st Gear Member

ok first let me start out by saying i work for an insurance company. since you dont have the mods listed, then you need to take them off bc the other insurance company is only responsible for getting you back to normal...factory specs! i would take off every mod i had, also it looks like it could be totaled, but then again according to the adjuster they might want to get it fixed so have pascal fly in and fix it for you, i hear he is the man!

glad to hear youre okay and sorry for the loss. if you have any questions on what the adjusters tells you just pm me and i will try to make sure you dont get screwed, bc it does happen!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

first off, since she hit you, you should be able to get the modifications reimbursed. If they refuse, hire an attorney and they'll probably fix it simply to save the money of using their own attorney pool.

Also, you need to go check yourself out. Are you ok? I know in Florida, you're entitled to $10,000 minimum for injuries directly or indirectly (meaning down the road) related to the accident. That should cover quite a bit of mods, granted you didnt' actually receive any serious injury.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

Ouch.... I would say its a total. it looks like the damage is well into the frame. I keep reciepts for all my mods. but It will be up to the insurance Co. But with mustang family like Sup3r D4ve I know you'll be taken care of.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Chit, man. That sux... Gald you're physically ok.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:24 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

If the stang totals out and your the claimant you are entitled to all the mods on the vehicle. Depending on which Ins company is responsible most will give you a certain percantage of the A/M mods but some may depreciate the value of any wearable mod such as tires, suspension, any possible damaged cooling lines in the front. Towing the car to 3 different shops or having an estimator from a body shop will do you no good depending on the Ins company. Most have their own adjustors and will not except a body shop estimate unless they are on a DRP program with them. (Direct Repair).. Save and find all receipts you can at this point. You can save the wheels and tires only if you put another set on. Get all your personal belongings out ASAP. You actually have the choice of using your Ins company or the responsible parties. You may want to let yours know of the accident. You can also have both Ins companies determine the value of the vehicle and see who will give you the best salvage value. If you use your own you will pay your deductible, but your Ins will subrogate for you for reimbursement.

Quick Reply: Sadly, got in a real bad accident yesterday!