Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Brenspeed 302/281 Block???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 AM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Default New Brenspeed 302/281 Block???

Hey guys, I am sure many have you seen Brenspeeds new shortblock that is coming out. Looks to be about 3300 bucks for a forged block, which looks like a GREAT deal. I am extremely intrigued by this, and will probably be getting this block when I decide to go forged. Here are some general questions regarding motors, that some of you may be able to answer possibly:

Brenspeed looks to be offering a 281, or a 302. If I went with the 302 or the 281, I would be putting my kenne bell 2.6 on top. Generally speaking, with a good tune, how much more horsepower could you make with the 302 vs the 281 at the same boost level?

Assuming I would be using parts from my stock short block (heads, cams, pretty much ANYTHING and everything I can be using from m stock block), how much would I be looking at to put the motor and blower in?

How long does it generally take to do something like this (aka, how much downtime will there be?)

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05stangguy
Generally speaking, with a good tune, how much more horsepower could you make with the 302 vs the 281 at the same boost level?
the 302 is really going to make a ton more torque. the HP levels will go up of course, but the stroker motors are torque monsters. that is why I am going to go with a Forged 302 Stroker kit on my current block...then eventually follow it with a blower @ 10 PSI.

wish I could better answer your question, but it's hard to say. too many variables like Tuning, cam grinds, misc bolt ons (headers/CAI). You would be better off asking Brenspeed what gains they've seen
Assuming I would be using parts from my stock short block (heads, cams, pretty much ANYTHING and everything I can be using from m stock block), how much would I be looking at to put the motor and blower in?
depends if they ship you just a short block with pistons...or if they give you a ready to install longblock.

figure 2-3 days to do a swap that involves a complete swap of parts from your current longblock to their shortblock

if they send a longblock, 1 day at most IMO, bolt that blower/intake on and run the plumbing
How long does it generally take to do something like this (aka, how much downtime will there be?)
again, it depends on what you have to install/swap. I personally could probably have it all running in 1-2 days max...in my driveway. But I've been wrenching for years and have performed Open Oil Pump Surgery a time or two A properly equipped shop could do it in probably 1/2 that time.
see bold
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I believe they will be offering the 302 only. Also the price will be going up the 1st of April. I got a quote from them for the complete install including all parts for about 8k. They are running this motor in there Saleen making about 750 rwhp.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

The Brenspeed 302 is not a bad deal. If you spy the parts list for their 302 stroker motor, it matches what Saleen Inc used in their low compression S302 Extreme and S302 S/C vehicles. (or high compression with a piston change for the S302 PJ)

These prepared short blocks appear to be a good deal and probably a great use for the over-stock of forged Saleen rotating assemblies.

The Saleen CNCed 3-valve cylinder heads are available from a discounter located in TN.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Jon Roush

Originally Posted by jdivad
The Brenspeed 302 is not a bad deal. If you spy the parts list for their 302 stroker motor, it matches what Saleen Inc used in their low compression S302 Extreme and S302 S/C vehicles. (or high compression with a piston change for the S302 PJ)

These prepared short blocks appear to be a good deal and probably a great use for the over-stock of forged Saleen rotating assemblies.

The Saleen CNCed 3-valve cylinder heads are available from a discounter located in TN.
Do u have more info on the Discounter u speak about? Contact info perhaps? Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Cfr, how would the price be going up the beginning of April if these aren't even released yet? Are they just taking pre-orders? I would give them a call, but I'm sure they're busy.

Op did have some great questions that I was also thinking of in the past, like the possible gains from the 302 compared to the 281. I would love to add a saleen sc with an aluminator or possibly even this brenspeed block, but I don't think I could afford the sc, block, and install costs. The quoted install cost listed above at 8k without the blower is just too much for me.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad281
Cfr, how would the price be going up the beginning of April if these aren't even released yet? Are they just taking pre-orders?
They told me when I called they may go up or they may go down in price. But right now they are expecting the price to go up. They are limited on supply at the price they are getting things is what they told me, but that may change.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
They told me when I called they may go up or they may go down in price. But right now they are expecting the price to go up. They are limited on supply at the price they are getting things is what they told me, but that may change.
They told me they where taking orders and if I wanted one at that price I needed to have it paid for by the 1st of April. They would install it anytime I wanted after that. The reason for the price increase is Manely crankshafts are increasing there prices, DSS racing told me the same thing. The price would be about 4k after the 1st. I talked the Chandler about 3 wks. ago.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

The thing is for 4k you are better off getting a stoker some place else that is using ARP main and head studs. Brens is using stock Ford bolts. I am sure that is what is helping keep the cost down also. But at 4k you can get a little better engine I believe from other places.

But with the price of the crank going up alone I doubt it's a $700 increase.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
But with the price of the crank going up alone I doubt it's a $700 increase.
+1! Does anyone know for sure what the compression will be?

Boozshey, did you break the motor? how?

Quick Reply: New Brenspeed 302/281 Block???