Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed's Custom Grind Camshaft (Code named the "Detroit Rocker")

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by robs
Oh Crap. And I WAS about to pull the trigger on Hot Rods... That's all on HOLD.

Guess I need a Detroit Locker to handle the Rocker???
If that is your excuse, go for it. I have used that same excuse several times.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

Will the pricing be the same for the blower cam? I have your Novi2200 package and would really love to be one of the first with the blower profile DR cam.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I can't wait to see before and after dyno sheets!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

My wife and I are going on a little vacation and we are stopping at Brenspeed on May 5th to get mine installed. The only thing I am adding before we go is the FRPP 4.10 gears. Brenspeed has an offroad H pipe on their mule, but I'm not adding that because it is just loud enough to suit me with the FRPP Stinger axle backs. I'm pretty pumped!
Jim
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
Oh Crap. And I WAS about to pull the trigger on Hot Rods... That's all on HOLD.
Yeah......what he said. And I was just getting reeeeaaaal close to pulling the trigger.
*closes missile bay doors*
Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Very cool. Too bad you guys didn't have these last year before I bought the hot rods. LOL! I paid about 740 for my hot rods and these have the same features (NSR, no phaser limiter, 30hp, awesome idle, like stock drive-ability) and cheaper.

Those Flowmaster Classics sound good. I've been curious for a while now what they would sound like with my Kooks LT + catted H + hot rods. I have boomtubes now.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Very cool. Too bad you guys didn't have these last year before I bought the hot rods. LOL! I paid about 740 for my hot rods and these have the same features (NSR, no phaser limiter, 30hp, awesome idle, like stock drive-ability) and cheaper.

Those Flowmaster Classics sound good. I've been curious for a while now what they would sound like with my Kooks LT + catted H + hot rods. I have boomtubes now.
Yeah but I still want to know what the spec difference is compared to the Hot Rod cams because don't you think the Detroit clips sounds just like our Hot Rods? I mean you can't get too much more radical than the Hot Rod profile (from what I understand) before you would need to have lockouts. The other thing is the Detroit Rocker claim of 30hp. But what they failed to mention is that is this just a straight up 30hp bump with cams only or did we leave out "with" complimentary mods such as LT headers to achieve this number ?????
Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yes they do sound quite similar.

The Hot Rods were designed by the same engineer who designed the stock cams and they said it's the most aggressive for a stock valve train. So I'd bet the specs on these will look quite similar to the hot rods. Every other cams that made more than the Hot Rods needed valve train upgrades. I've read recently by several well known top tuners say Hot Rods are a good 30hp. So I think these are Brenspeed/Comp branded cheaper Hot Rods for the most part.

I'm pretty sure a much better flowing exhaust and CAI will be required to see the 30hp. If the engine is not flowing more in and out, no cam no matter how radical it is will gain much. Without the headers (or ported heads) you'll be lucky to see 15 from a cam swap.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

So, if one were to buy these and have someone OTHER than Brenspeed install them, what do we figure the odds are that a competent shop will be able to tune for them?

At least the Hot Rods have been out for a while. I worry that these will need to be out on the market for a while before anyone can tune for them, but I don't really know much about dyno tuning so maybe I've got it all wrong. What do you guys think?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
So, if one were to buy these and have someone OTHER than Brenspeed install them, what do we figure the odds are that a competent shop will be able to tune for them?

At least the Hot Rods have been out for a while. I worry that these will need to be out on the market for a while before anyone can tune for them, but I don't really know much about dyno tuning so maybe I've got it all wrong. What do you guys think?
These are very easy to tune for. Brent told me himself that they are easier to tune than hot rods and thumpers. We spent a long time testing these cams before they were released to the public.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed's Custom Grind Camshaft (Code named the "Detroit Rocker")