Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about extended warranty coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Rollingstone
1st Gear Member

Default Question about extended warranty coverage

Can it be refunded after the contract was signed? Ford has no record of it but it appears on the contract.

The story is my girlfriend just got a used mustang, she only wants to keep the stang for about 2 years. She was talked into buying the extended warranty so she could get a lower APR from ford credit, is that true? you could get a lower APR for buying it or is that just a selling tactic?

The car was sold as a certified preown, but it was never certified. The finance manager said there would be no problem certifying it. Again the reason behind getting it certified was to get a lower APR through ford credit and a discounted extended warranty.

She was promised that they will send the extended coverage information through the mail but has never received it so far. She called ford credit and it they say there is NO extended warranty in their files.

So, the car has only 10,000 miles so she still has 26,000 miles left on the bumper to bumper. Now, she doesn't want the extended warranty. Can ford refund the money? She's afraid that the dealership is just going to add it since it's already in the contract.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

You can get a refund but its prorated from the day the car was bought new... they say the extended warranty coverage is better than original. So at about 2 years I sold mine back to ford and got about 1000 back after paying 1500 for it. I knew I was going to mod my car and found it useless....
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

to me it sounds like she got played.

when you say she has 26,000 miles left, are you referring to her extended warranty or the manufacturer warranty? as far as i know, all manufacturer warranties are transferable which means she's paying for a warranty that she's not getting.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
lundis
1st Gear Member

im glad i bought mine, my transmission went all kinds of haywire at 38k after having problems for 15k...one dealer blew me off with intake/cmdp/lt headers/hi-flow h pipe/bassani mufflers/4.10's....i just found another dealer that is rebuilding my transmission with ALL new components (not just a rebuild kit) and thats after i also installed a 3000 stall converter...saved me 2 grand+ that i dont have!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Rollingstone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdsguy
to me it sounds like she got played.

when you say she has 26,000 miles left, are you referring to her extended warranty or the manufacturer warranty? as far as i know, all manufacturer warranties are transferable which means she's paying for a warranty that she's not getting.
26,000 miles left on the manufacturer warranty (bumper to bumper).

So she can cancel it and get a refund right?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Rollingstone
1st Gear Member

The thing about the extended warranty is that you never know if you ever are going to use it until something goes bad. Hopefully she can cancel it and just keep the manufacture warranty.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollingstone
The thing about the extended warranty is that you never know if you ever are going to use it until something goes bad. Hopefully she can cancel it and just keep the manufacture warranty.
i wouldn't see why it couldn't be refunded. they should prorate it like what's been said.

my mom has an 03 acura with extended coverage and it's come in handy. my dad has his 03 explorer and nothing wrong (knock on wood). sometimes you get lucky.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollingstone
26,000 miles left on the manufacturer warranty (bumper to bumper).

So she can cancel it and get a refund right?
several misconceptions here by several people

1. If she bought a Ford ESP, she likely will never ever get anything in the mail. She must visit the Ford Dealership and talk to a Repair Manager.
He will put the car VIN # into the OASIS system and verify if the car has any sort of ESP

Ford is really stingy about sending out ESP info. I've had it for my last 4 Fords and only have 1 piece of paper to show for any of them.
2. Ford's Premiumcare ESP is as good as the factory 3yr/36k bumper...if not better IMO. It usually has a $100 deductible, but it litterally covers everything. Drop off the car, issue gets fixed (or multiple if that's the case), you pay $100 and drive away.
This is important. Most aftermarket warranties are absolutely worthless. They use every dirty trick in the book to avoid payout on Repair Claims. Avoid them like the plague.

Ford ESP is the best...and only choice IMO
3. If you bought a ESP and financed the entire amount (Purchase Price + ESP + Taxes)...you WILL NOT GET A REFUND. At least in cash anyways.
The Dealership will asses a $50 cancelation fee and then will Pro-Rate the remainder of the ESP purchase price.

the amount to be refunded is then paid into your loan. They are not allowed to give you a cash settlement. Been there and done that 3 times.

The only time you will get cash (well a check) is if you have 100% paid off the vehicle.

hope that helps out a little bit. I personally would verify that the ESP is existing. If not, she has a contract showing the purchase of it. I myself would keep it. The ESP can be a real lifesaver. Just 1 use of it and it will pay for itself if needed
btw, the requirement to purchase a ESP to get a better APR is pure and utter bull****. Whoever sold her that crap needs to have his ethics checked.

And a Certified Pre-Owned Ford has a better warranty than a brand new Ford. There would be no need to get any sort of ESP really. Your GF needs to see if her car is a Certified Pre-Owned or not
Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Damnit, you beat me to it.
PM me your VIN, and the name of the dealership. I can run an OASIS for you. If a Finance person is telling you you HAVE to buy the warranty to get a lower APR, that's illegal. It's called tying, and it isn't allowed. That said, if they are offering you a CPO rate through Ford Motor Credit, then you may have to pay the small amount to get the car certified. If the car isn't financed through Ford at a CPO rate, then they are pulling your leg.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Yeah forgot to add when I got mine refunded my car was paid off. I bought the car with cash in hand as well as the warranty....

Quick Reply: Question about extended warranty coverage