Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both Stangs out of ~4 month storage; odd temporary issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Both Stangs out of ~4 month storage; odd temporary issue

Both my '07 GT and the g/f's '06 V6 came out of storage this past Saturday. Both fired up just fine. I'm scratching my head, however, on the following items. Mind you, BOTH were on battery tenders with the batteries left connected and were both powered from the same outlet:
  1. My clock on the radio was off by over 3 hours and when I turned the radio on, it was on the AM band; NOT how I left it. The presets for my sat channels were still good. The g/f's was fine. Even if we had lost power to the tenders for a period, the cars battery would have picked up the load. And had it been an extended power loss and the battery had died (only to be recharged by the tender), wouldn't I have lost my presets plus other electrical changes?
  2. BOTH cars, upon the first roughly dozen applications of the brakes, acted as if the rotors were BADLY warped. The wheel shimmy during braking diminished with each application until it was gone on both cars but I have NO idea why sitting in storage would have caused this.
Other than that, both cars are happily out of storage. Plus, I drove my GT from the Chicago suburbs on Sunday to Mississippi. It was good to feel the power again after driving a 6 cylinder SUV all winter.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

The radio thing is rather interesting, I'm taking mine out in a couple weeks and i'll check the time and presets to see if the same thing has happened.

I'll also see how the brakes feel as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The brake pads probably deposited some sweat on the disk where they were touching creating light surface rust/scum. Quite normal. Also it's possible your tires were slightly flatted from standing which can manifest itself in brake shimmy. Unless you leave them standing for years, those flats run out after a few miles
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
The brake pads probably deposited some sweat on the disk where they were touching creating light surface rust/scum. Quite normal. Also it's possible your tires were slightly flatted from standing which can manifest itself in brake shimmy. Unless you leave them standing for years, those flats run out after a few miles
agree with this on both acounts.

as for the radio, the sat radio presets are stored in the sat radio tuner itself i think. this is normally a additional piece of external hardware. but it does seem that the actual head unit lost power completely at one point. Honestly i wouldnt worry to much as long as it doesnt happen again.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
agree with this on both acounts.

as for the radio, the sat radio presets are stored in the sat radio tuner itself i think. this is normally a additional piece of external hardware. but it does seem that the actual head unit lost power completely at one point. Honestly i wouldnt worry to much as long as it doesnt happen again.
I thought the same but it seemed very strange and highly unlikely, considering the power source and that my battery SEEMS to be holding up well and any AC power interruption would have had the car battery as back-up. I've left the car sit previously for over 4 weeks and the battery never even showed up as weak.

I'll check the FM presets again (i was preoccupied when I checked them and, to be honest, I always listen to sat). THAT should tell me that the HU lost power.

As far as the brakes, marcus' explanation makes sense. Thx.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

I'll check the FM presets again (i was preoccupied when I checked them and, to be honest, I always listen to sat). THAT should tell me that the HU lost power.
If the presets are gone, then you know you lost power. If the presets are okay, you still might have lost power for a period of time. When my battery was replaced, the radio was tuned to a frequency that I think was a default (not tuned to a station, just noise). The idle trim was fine, the windows worked fine, some of the menu settings had gone to default, but the radio presets were still there.

I keep a piece of paper in the console with my menu settings (including radio presets) written on it. But sometimes I don't update it when I make changes. My bad.