Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where did you mount your amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

am i the only one who thinks mounting amps to the back of the seat looks cheap? I prefer to hide the amp or mount it in a real nice spot on a wrapped board, maybe with plexiglass, etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Like this?

More here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...k-and-sub.html

Good luck!

Tim
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imfamousjim
am i the only one who thinks mounting amps to the back of the seat looks cheap? I prefer to hide the amp or mount it in a real nice spot on a wrapped board, maybe with plexiglass, etc.
When you say "hide", do you mean, "completely invisible"? I certainly can't see the back side of my rear seat unless I have the trunk open and am bending over to look for it.

As for presentation on a wrapped board; the back of the seat is wrapped in carpet. I guess I don't see the difference.

tdbrown75's setup looks sharp, but what if you need to fold the seats down for some reason?

To each there own I guess; I'm just trying to understand what looks cheap about the setup I and others have.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 PM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

the difference is that you're introducing a lot of risk by mounting the amps to a folding component. lot of unnecessary movement/strain, plus if you're folding the seat down to slide something in, it's gonna be resting on top of the amp. plenty of opportunities to ground out your system or pull on those fragile speaker wires and screw up the speakers. tdbrown simply decided to give up that functionality (and the install looks great).

i'm designing my sound system right now and shaker 1000 location is perfect... just trace & cut a template out of cardboard, transfer to MDF or 3/4" plywood, cover in carpet & screw or bolt in; mount amps, done. takes half an afternoon including picking up supplies.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Under the passenger seat seems like a good idea thats were I'm thinking of mounting mine, remove seat, install amp, install seat, rock out, oh yeah
Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
When you say "hide", do you mean, "completely invisible"? I certainly can't see the back side of my rear seat unless I have the trunk open and am bending over to look for it.

As for presentation on a wrapped board; the back of the seat is wrapped in carpet. I guess I don't see the difference.

tdbrown75's setup looks sharp, but what if you need to fold the seats down for some reason?

To each there own I guess; I'm just trying to understand what looks cheap about the setup I and others have.
sorry, I'm not trying to knock yours, its just not the way I'd set it up. If we all had the same opinions we'd be driving the same exact boring car. To me, if i'm going to spend all the time building a box, I'm either gonna spend the same amount of time building an amp rack or hide it completely so it doesn't look like an afterthought (again, my opinion). And yeah, i was going for near invisible on my old setup.

(couldn't see that unless you laid on your back in the trunk)

Tim, that looks real nice man.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

http://www.audio-creations.com/mount...rs-upside-down
Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

Hmm, well I mounted it on a 1/4" mdf board to insulate from heat soak through the metal tray, but the concept of "heat rises" escaped me though. Looks like in the future I should make a shelf and keep it rightside up and keep enough room to vent.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imfamousjim
sorry, I'm not trying to knock yours, its just not the way I'd set it up. If we all had the same opinions we'd be driving the same exact boring car. To me, if i'm going to spend all the time building a box, I'm either gonna spend the same amount of time building an amp rack or hide it completely so it doesn't look like an afterthought (again, my opinion). And yeah, i was going for near invisible on my old setup.

(couldn't see that unless you laid on your back in the trunk)

Tim, that looks real nice man.
Hey man, it's all good. I really wasn't being overly defensive (hard to tell over the Internet, though). I was looking for your opinion on why you didn't like it and what you would do differently, and that's exactly what I got! Thanks

Once again, both yours and Tim's installs looks really nice. So nice, in fact, that I'm not even going to post any pics of mine because next to those pics, it's not on the same level (that's probably what you meant initially anyway). I guess I wasn't as fussy with it, as I knew if was all going to be in the trunk anyway.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Newbish question here, considering I know virtually nothing when it comes to audio-

I have the base, single cd stereo, would an amp liven it up? Just one? Or would I have to replace speakers, head unit or add a sub woofer?

Quick Reply: where did you mount your amp