Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Success Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump Success Story

I was having issues with my fuel pump /sender unit. I was having times when the fuel gauge would go to E, I would get an error message and the CEL would come on. Happened 3 or 4 times so I decided to replace it. I also had the TSB syndrome where you cruise for 25 minutes or so and when you would try to accelerate, it would hesitate badly. So, I decided to replace it. I ordered a new Ford pump from Silver State Ford.

I read and re-read the procedure in the Taco Bill TSB section until I understood it. I ran the tank down to "fumes". I got the retainer ring off and wrestling the old pump out was a bit of a challenge, but it came out. The procedure was incorrect when it said the pump came with a new retainer ring and a new O ring - it came with neither. I figured I could re-use the retainer, but I wanted a new O ring, which I got from a local Ford dealer for $7. The new pump when into the tank easier than the old one came out. Getting the fuel hose from the pass. side tank back on the new pump was a bit of a challenge. It pays to have patience, and smallish hands for this job. The hardest part was getting the retainer ring back on. It took numerous tries, but at last I was successful. Hooked up the fuel line, electrical plug and held my breath, hit the key and Sally roared to life. YEA!

Put the back seat bottom cushion back in, went to my local Shell station and filled up with 93 octane V-Power. Went back home and re-loaded my 93 octane Brenspeed tune (I had been running the 87 octane tune over the winter months. Took Sally out for a real test drive and she ran like a Banshee. This is the first in-tank fuel pump change I have ever done. It was challenging, but it cost me about $225 - I figure taking it to a dealer would have been at least $500.