Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Road H-Pipe help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 AM
supercowcc

Default Off Road H-Pipe help

I want a H pipe for my 2006 GT, but i have heard to many stories about that Pypes O/R H having terrible fitment. What other brands would you guys suggest for best fitment? I like that the Pypes H pipe is stainless steel, and most of the others are aluminized. If you get an aluminized one can you spray paint it with high heat paint to keep it from rusting? Also if i could id like to just clamp it on and not weld it, but if i do have to end up welding it how much does that normally cost?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

do you have lts or not? but jba, which is what i have, fits perfectly and it is s. steel as well no welding req., although i had mine welded in
Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I have the pypes offroad h-pipe and I don't have any fitment issues. I think most of the issues came from the original design which was a two piece. The ones being sold now are a 4 piece and so you can get it aligned perfectly. It is still a pain in the *** to install, but well worth it. I just reinstalled mine yesterday since I don't have to get inspected again for a while

I know the gains shouldn't be that much from an o/r h-pipe, but every time i've added mine or taken mine off, i've felt a huge sotp gain. Maybe its because the cats are pretty much the only restriction in my exhaust. Plus the sound at WOT is absolutely amazing.

Where in NC are you? If you are near raleigh, we can meet up this weekend if you want to hear my car.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I just bought the Pypes O/R H pipe and the fitment was OK. I would tell you that welding it is a MUST because you will never get the "H" clamped tight enough without leaks. Here is a video of the result, well worth it since the sound is awesome"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iYjrVSVRIQ
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

My pypes H pipe fitment was fine. A little tricky but not bad at all. Welding it together once its installed shouldn't cost you more $25-30
Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
supercowcc

Default H Pipe

Ok so the cost to get in welded in isn't bad at all. but my problem is that for inspection i would have to put the stock pipe back on each year would i not? also i hear the pypes h pipe hangs low does yours? if i got the JBA would it clamp on and be fine?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

My pypes h-pipe doesn't hang any lower than the stock h-pipe. The fitment is fine on it, and the hardest part is getting the pipe connected to the headers/manifolds. If you still have the stock manifolds, it will be easy, but with jba shorty headers, its a pain in the *** to get those nuts snugged up.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Mine hangs a bit lower than stock but I'm hopeing that it will sit a bit higher once its welded in. I cant imagine the clamps provided can hold the pipe tight enough to prevent sagging under driving conditions. Also I should mention that my 09 doesnt have any hangers for the H. I believe yours should have hangers and that should keep it up a bit closer to the stock pipe.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Mines an 05 and mine didn't have hangers on the crossmember either
Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by supercowcc
Ok so the cost to get in welded in isn't bad at all. but my problem is that for inspection i would have to put the stock pipe back on each year would i not? also i hear the pypes h pipe hangs low does yours? if i got the JBA would it clamp on and be fine?
i'm assuming for inspection you mean emissions, in which case no matter which o/r pipe, x or h brand etc., you will have to put one with cats back on. any o/r pipe will fail emmissions, thus the "off road use only." the jba will clamp on, but just like the pypes will have to be removed before testing, which is why i am glad to live in an emmission free area