Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks McLeod RST owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
how does the twin disc perform on a daily driver basis?
My experience- just like the stocker, maybe a bit lighter throw...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05redfirepearlGT
........ Ony 34000 on car and I don't launch hard and rarely go to the track anymore at that. Car is slowly becoming a drivable fun cruie-in and show vehicle.
In this case, can I ask why you bothered to go to the expense of a high rated clutch ? A new stock clutch would not have served as well for half the price no?
Just asking
Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 AM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
In this case, can I ask why you bothered to go to the expense of a high rated clutch ? A new stock clutch would not have served as well for half the price no?
Just asking
Well Sir, my grandpa always said it doesn't cost much more to go with the best in the end. Being that sooooooooooo many people were bitching about the Spec series clutches 2,2+,3,3+ failing soooo soon after installation and the very poooooooor service they received from the boys down there in Alabama at Spec, I narrowed down my decision to either the P51 Roush clutch disk with a factory replacement pressure plate, or spend $180.00 more and get the McLeod RST. Once the original clutch kit was removed from the car after having seen the condition of the old factory setup (not bad at all) I would have gone either factory again, or P51 Roush, but the money was already spent.

Plans were to play more than usual at he track have fun with it, and feel confident I could hit it harder off the line with some M/T ET streets and still confidently drive home in tact. Since that time my direction of thinking has changed.

I am confident that the clutch was installed correctly, but not so confident that there may be a defect issue with it. After an easy in town 500 mile break in period (only jumped on it twice in second during that time) and a more agressive 500 miles after that, I am not a 100% satisfied customer. I have talked with McLeod and I find their level of tech support pissy at best. I expected more from Red McLeod and his team after he retook the company from B&M (I think thats who owned it prior to Red coming back into the picture). I continue to smell clutch for several seconds when pulling in and out of parking spots or taking off from a stop on a hill on occasion. The RST is marketed that it is a "slippable" clutch and not an on/off race clutch like SPEC 2,3 are. Also noticed this smell after a burn out at the track while staging each time of three runs though the clutch appears not to be slipping. It hits second, and third with tire chirp, and holds fourth solid through the traps. On highways it will pull 5th up a hill from 45 MPH and continue to hold fine clean up through 85 with no slippage seen via RPM jumping and no clutch smell. Just expected more and a lot lower engagement since the RST is supposed to be functional with the factory slave cylinder and flywheel (replaced flywheel and should have just had it refinished to save cost).

The real thing that concerns me is the louder noise at low rpm when the car lugs a little bit. Example, taking a turn onto a side street staying in second gear there is this vibration that occurs briefly around 1500 rpm. Was there before but louder now. Also hear it when pulling a hill in third or fourth. The lower the RPM and the heavier the load the louder the noise, but goes away after RPM seems to exceed 1800-1900 RPM and the engine is not laboring as hard. Took it back to speed shop and they said after hearing it that it sounded like noise being created by exhaust pulsating through the cats. Under normal take off and driving there is no noise. Assume it is the make up of the twin disk that some people elude to when talking about the noise that can be generated from a twin disk clutch when used for street.

Should it fail prematurely, I will call it lesson learned and go P51 disk and factory everything else in the future.

There you have it gang.

Last edited by 05redfirepearlGT; 07-04-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

The rattle is coming from the floater plate. It's just part of having a twin disk. Best solution is to keep it out of the rpm range it occurs in. It's normal.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 PM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
The rattle is coming from the floater plate. It's just part of having a twin disk. Best solution is to keep it out of the rpm range it occurs in. It's normal.
I wondered if that was all it was. Thanks so much. Figured it was something along that line. Appreciate the added assurance.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Next time you have to have the tranny pulled with the Saleen blower, tell the mechanic to lower the motor down by loosing the K memeber. That way the blower stays put and the labor cost is less.

You will enjoy the RST.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
how does the twin disc perform on a daily driver basis?
Just like OEM- with a cool rattle at 1500 rpm- constantly reminds you you are driving a cool car

!!