Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To the Mods, Some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Default To the Mods, Some concerns

Hey guys;

First off I know I should probably just PM one of you lads, but, I wanted to give a chance to some other constructive members here to maybe jump on board with this topic. I have to thank you guys for running a decent forum, for those of us that want to share, or get input or help with mods, and other issues with the Ford Mustang.

However; recently I've noticed an alarming number of Trolling posts, and or down right demeaning posts, insulting, not only the OP of the topic or the person in need, but IMO the entire Mustang Community on these boards.

When I joined here a little over 3 years ago, this place was filled with so many good threads about installs, parts, and information on how to do things, the right way. Guys like Hammeron, MyGT500, Pascal, Tacobill, their input here on this forum have not only saved me money, but time, frustration, and heartache.

I'd like to see this place return to that. Yes there is still, many good threads left, but that number is dwindling, and being filled with eThugs, and Forum Trolls. So I'm asking if you guys can clamp down on this behavior, and maybe return this great site to what is was.

Thanks,

Vack
Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

It is a difficult decision to say "He is trolling, flaming, etc" to someone just because they post something which is a different opinion of the OP. Just keep that in mind also.

If you feel there is a post which violates the forum rules, feel free to report the post and we will come take a look at it.

That being said, I know I for one appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i think the mods are doing a very good job.
i know this is not their full time job, they are on here just like us, while they are working or on their spare time.
so, it's hard to catch the trolls right away but they do catch them.
i think you also have to take some of the comments said with a grain of salt.
some people like to be funny, or wise crack at times, but for the most part it's in good fun.
occasionally you'll get the person with the mean comments, but it's not the norm, but rather the exception.
i've been on here for a few years now, and have seen people come and go.
some of the regulars are still here and pop up every once in a while
new faces too, but things change.
this is still a great place to hang out and talk shop, bench race, and sometimes BS about things.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I for one don't understand what you are asking for.
They can't know a person is going to be a troll UNITL the person does his trolling.
It is only after that, that the mods can take action.
And they do take action as far as I have seen. You also must remember that when a site grows so does it's visitors, including trolls. I have never seen a lack of troll control though from the mods. Sorry but the mods seem to do great at it.

As for insulting remarks... They can't erase every single insulting remark made because of the fact that different things may or may not insult different people. You can't satisfy everyone at the same time and you can't read minds.
When things are blatently, clearly, and flat out personally insulting though I have always noticed the mods stepping in.

I've been here a good while (3yrs or so) and the mods have always done a damn good job if you ask me.

If you are talking Off Topic though....
Most of us know that venturing into the Off Topic section means more talk and more voiced opinions though, but the same is for every car forum. OT is kinda the locker room for car forums.
I think it is run quite well too.

And to add to your comment about insulting things...
You must also remember that often people do not agree about things. Taking away the right to speak about a dissagreement without true justification would make the forums bad. If you can't handle being insulted every once in a while you are going to have to lock your doors, keep all your media turned off, and live as a hermit.

I think the moderaters do a good job at stepping in when true justification calls for it.

Sorry but I really just don't understand or share your voiced concern.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 04-06-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

as mentioned you can always report a post of someone you think is trolling. I cant say i have really seen what you are talking about and i read alot of threads in all section of the s197s.

post a couple links to where you think the trolls are and we will look into getting them removed from the forums.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I think the mods are doing an awesome job. Usually the only time people get flamed is when they do something totally retarded. Some examples of this are people ignoring advice given on this forum (like bypassing safety switches on remote start vehicles), and street racing. Other than that, I haven't noticed much hostility on this forum.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Ive been a member since 2004 (disappearing for a while sometimes lol). I have "experimented" with many other stang forums and this one has been, by far, the most "adult" site With that said, Ive also come across members that are a bit more direct than others lol and I really think its all in the way you take it. I have to agree with onederful100 when he says "i think you also have to take some of the comments said with a grain of salt." Believe me, there are much worse sites out there lol I wont hesitate to report an ethug or troll cuz seriously, I dont have time for immature BS! lol
Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I'm still pretty new here but haven't seen any of that. From my experience so far, everyone here has been downright helpful and informative.

The mods can't read every post, thats why there is a report post button. It's a little yellow triangle with a ! in the center just to the left of every post. If you find something that you feel is wrong, offensive, etc..Just click it. Thats what it's there for.

Besides, if there were no "e-thugs" who the hell would we laugh at?

Last edited by MOOK3456; 04-06-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

As a member of many forums (being quite senior in some), I can truthfully point out that the phenomenon is not limited to here. If I had to attribute it to a single cause, I would say that more kids that grew up with this technology (the consumer-level internet) from early childhood and don't appreciate it for what it is are coming into the age where they own cars and are bringing their "world on a platter" mentality to these sorts of places. It is sad, but I don't see it going away any time soon, either. It's just society changing...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
It is a difficult decision to say "He is trolling, flaming, etc" to someone just because they post something which is a different opinion of the OP. Just keep that in mind also.

If you feel there is a post which violates the forum rules, feel free to report the post and we will come take a look at it.

That being said, I know I for one appreciate the feedback.
Well said. I couldn't agree more with your input.

Quick Reply: To the Mods, Some concerns