Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Track Pack/Bullitt Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Angry Stupid Track Pack/Bullitt Package

Got my 1st flat in 10yrs yesterday. And in case it's never happened to you, changing a flat tire is f'ing impossible without a Spare Tire, Jack, and Tire Iron.

Luckily my Expedition has a scissor jack and tire iron that worked.

I had a huge roofing nail in my tire that was too big to use the Self-Sealant crap and air pump that Ford gave me instead of a spare tire.

Real shame is that I have this rim I bought months ago to use as a spare. Paid $33 for it and never got around to getting any rubber on it. Now I need to get a similar diameter tire and install in the trunk with a junkyard sourced jack. I saw this coming, but wasn't fast enough to act on it.

stupid of me, and darn you Ford for offering such an idiotic package

20x8.5 - Verde Exodus - Black with Polished lip

btw, anybody know where I can get 3 more of these rims? they are no longer in production. very nice rim, and I think a set of 20x10 rear, 20x8.5 front would look awesome on the car.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Yup, being stranded like that sucks. In my Ford Ranger I got a flat and for some reason I had everything I needed, except for the tire iron. For some reason somebody took it out so I had to call my dad and have him bring a ratchet and sockets.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

No spare tire was really idiotic if you ask me.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

thats why the day after i purchased my car i had to spend another 200 dollars on a 17" wheel and some rubber to go on it....im not sure why ford made that decision since the 2011GT cars come with spare tires and they have the track pack standard.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I need to get a spare for my track pack car. Can I just buy a spare donut style?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Yes, a donut will work just fine. I just haven't had any luck finding one, so I'm going to do the "Spare Tire Mod" that a few guys on IMBOC have done. It allows you to fit a full size tire in the trunkwell. As it sits now, a full size tire won't fit in the 05-09's trunk without help
Originally Posted by akiba17
No spare tire was really idiotic if you ask me.
I agree. But I'd had the car for probably a week before I discovered the lack of a spare
Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

dude, no offense, but those wheels are kinda goofy...not a big fan personally? maybe they would look better actually on the car
Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

FYI, there are plenty of cars that do not come with spare tires, especially performance / sports cars (Porsche, Corvette, etc). The spare is just extra weight.

The proper thing to do if you get a flat from a nail / screw or whatever in a tire is to LEAVE THE OBJECT IN THE TIRE. The tire is already punctured and leaving it in won't do any more damage and the object itself acts as a 'plug' with the sealer. The sealer will easily hold pressure until you can get the tire permanently repaired.

The ideal thing would be to carry a tire plug repair kit in the car. You can get them from any auto parts store or wallyworld for less than $10.00. I have repaired many punctured tires with those kits and have never had one fail after I fixed it. It is no more difficult than changing a tire and can be done on the side of the road.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I bought a Mustang. You know, a full size car that has a trunkwell that can hold a full tire

a donut weighs 30-40 lbs max. And I'd welcome the weight for a little better traction.

I pulled the nail for several reasons
1. Tire was already flat
2. Tire Sealant is dangerous and Tire Shops charge an extra fee to repair tires when it's used
3. The tire sealant stuff warns about TPMS sensor damage, and the owners manual also discusses this. Sensors are $50+ each, and their straps are $56 each. So it'd cost me roughly $100 ontop of the flat repair cost of $30 ihad to pay
as for tire plugs...he'll no. I will not be running a DIY plug in my ZR rated tires. Especially with how hard I drive. I almost bought a new tire, but the Shop did a professional job fixing the flat.

Only really bad part of the whole experience I guess is that the Tire Monkey broke a TPMS Band. Took 'em 4 hours to get a Ford replacement
Old 04-09-2010, 08:12 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I bought a Mustang. You know, a full size car that has a trunkwell that can hold a full tire

a donut weighs 30-40 lbs max. And I'd welcome the weight for a little better traction.

I pulled the nail for several reasons
1. Tire was already flat
2. Tire Sealant is dangerous and Tire Shops charge an extra fee to repair tires when it's used
3. The tire sealant stuff warns about TPMS sensor damage, and the owners manual also discusses this. Sensors are $50+ each, and their straps are $56 each. So it'd cost me roughly $100 ontop of the flat repair cost of $30 ihad to pay
as for tire plugs...he'll no. I will not be running a DIY plug in my ZR rated tires. Especially with how hard I drive. I almost bought a new tire, but the Shop did a professional job fixing the flat.

Only really bad part of the whole experience I guess is that the Tire Monkey broke a TPMS Band. Took 'em 4 hours to get a Ford replacement
Gee, I didn't realize the Mustang was a "full size car", and here we all thought it was a sports / pony size car. Thanks for clearing that confusion up for the world.

If you're not confident or accomplished enough to do something as easy as to put in THE SAME TIRE PLUG THE "PROFESSIONALS" USE, then yes, pay someone else to do it.

All the time and money you spent paying someone else to fix your tire and the additional 4 hours spent while they tracked down the TPMS band they broke was worth it to you I assume..........versus taking 15-30 minutes and doing it right yourself for less than $10.00

To each their own

Quick Reply: Stupid Track Pack/Bullitt Package