Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another spark plug question post

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
I pulled mine this weekend I had the barrowed the tool from a buddy if i needed it. I just pulled them right out, no oil nothing. Cracked the intial seal and kept going. All 8 came right out. I had 27K on the clock.
luckily mine will come out just as easily. I have about the same amount of mileage as you do and about to take mine out before they start crapping out in the head. I even have the Lisle 3v broken spark plug remover tool "just in case".

*crosses fingers*

Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 AM
Chooch

My '05 GT has just over 48K on it. I decided to replace them last Monday. I did run the engine for about 2 minutes. Everything was luke warm when I started to work. I blew out the hole with some air, just to make sure there wasn't any crap that could get it. I set a torque wrench to 25lbs and hit every plug. Just wanted to break them free. Two of the eight did. These were then sprayed with some Sea Foam Deep Creep. I then tightened the other six just enough that they moved ever so slightly. I then took the torque wrench and hit the six again. Four were backed off about, again just a bit and sprayed with Deep Creep. The two that were stubborn were just sprayed. I let it sit overnight. I had another vehicle for the next day, so no need to rush.

Before work, the six that were moving were turned back in, and then out a little further than the night before, say 1/4 turn. Another shot of Deep Creep. I tried to loosen the other two, but they weren't moving. The torque wrench clicked and clicked and clicked. Nothing. I gave it a little extra and they broke free. Sprayed them as well and went to work.

After dinner I unscrewed all of them uabout 3 turns. Dropped a paper towel into the hole to soak up any extra liquid and then proceeded to pull all of them out. They all came out but four of them had alot of carbon on them. The carbon was all moist and wet, so the deep creep got down and did the job.

All I have to say is patience. Don't get cocky and rush it. Take the extra day, it sure beats the alternative!

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chooch
My '05 GT has just over 48K on it. I decided to replace them last Monday. I did run the engine for about 2 minutes. Everything was luke warm when I started to work. I blew out the hole with some air, just to make sure there wasn't any crap that could get it. I set a torque wrench to 25lbs and hit every plug. Just wanted to break them free. Two of the eight did. These were then sprayed with some Sea Foam Deep Creep. I then tightened the other six just enough that they moved ever so slightly. I then took the torque wrench and hit the six again. Four were backed off about, again just a bit and sprayed with Deep Creep. The two that were stubborn were just sprayed. I let it sit overnight. I had another vehicle for the next day, so no need to rush.

Before work, the six that were moving were turned back in, and then out a little further than the night before, say 1/4 turn. Another shot of Deep Creep. I tried to loosen the other two, but they weren't moving. The torque wrench clicked and clicked and clicked. Nothing. I gave it a little extra and they broke free. Sprayed them as well and went to work.

After dinner I unscrewed all of them uabout 3 turns. Dropped a paper towel into the hole to soak up any extra liquid and then proceeded to pull all of them out. They all came out but four of them had alot of carbon on them. The carbon was all moist and wet, so the deep creep got down and did the job.

All I have to say is patience. Don't get cocky and rush it. Take the extra day, it sure beats the alternative!

Good luck!
I think this is some of the better advice I've seen. I dont mind letting her sit as long as it takes to minimize complications and reduce chances of any damage. I dont know where I'll find the sea foam deep creep in denver (I'll look), but PB should do just as well dont you think?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Actually, I am going out of town for a little over a week next Friday. I am considering letting it sit with the PB for that entire time...good or bad idea?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Chooch

Originally Posted by wcgman
Actually, I am going out of town for a little over a week next Friday. I am considering letting it sit with the PB for that entire time...good or bad idea?
First time I have used Deep Creep. I have never used PB but that would have been my second choice. If the car is going to sit for a while, I would absolutely shoot some PB into the hole. The plugs should be loosened though, otherwise the PB will not be able to wick down the threads. Issues happen when one rushes a job. Allowing the PB to do the work over the duration of the week is a privelage and a bonus.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

3 days of pb blaster soaking, still resulted in all 8 broken....
Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Chooch

Originally Posted by Boozshey
3 days of pb blaster soaking, still resulted in all 8 broken....
Holy Crap Boozshey! Did you crack the plugs free before soaking in PB? If yes, then Deep Creep all the way, forget PB.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Yup sure did... Build date Aug '04, and 57k miles later I think had a lot to do with it.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Have they fixed this problem on the newer models?? Like the 2010's?? If not would it be a good idea to put the one piece plugs in while the car is new??
Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAKnBLK2010
Have they fixed this problem on the newer models?? Like the 2010's?? If not would it be a good idea to put the one piece plugs in while the car is new??
I think 08's and up have a new head design and different plugs, so they don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Another spark plug question post