Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another spark plug question post

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Another spark plug question post

I am going to break down and do my plugs on the 06GT. Also found out the wife's explorer...same problem.

Any opinions on should I use either PB or motorcraft carb cleaner?
TSB says room temp while others are saying let it warm up for 10 mins?
Heard anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours for soak time with penetrating fluid?
Any benefit from letting the fluid go longer like maybe overnight?
Are there any other tips other than be patient that I should know about?

I am planning on buying the rotunda tool kit hopefully today and find champion 1 piece plugs for this weekend, so your input is appreciated.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...g-removal.html
Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Nice...I just called Ford and they wont sell the tool. Just more to push me into their service bay and find a way to rip me off.

Anyone use the Lisle tool? http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...65600_alt.html

Are there any other alternatives?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

That's cause that tool is CRAP!!! Buy the Lisle tool for $75 a lot better and you can use it more than once.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-65600
Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I have heard Champions are the way to go with the 1 piece design. Is that also what you'd recommend?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I have heard Champions are the way to go with the 1 piece design. Is that also what you'd recommend?
YES! I used PB Blaster with a 30 min soak time. I found that a "slight" warming of the engine helped with the original breaking loose of the plugs. I'm talking like 30 seconds of idling time then start taking things apart.

I did not purchase the tool, but mine is a 3rd vehicle, so a little down time was no big deal if one broke. Just be VERY patient taking them out. Mine made a terrible sound and was extremely tight coming out. Just turn 1/8 turn out and then back in, over and over until they loosen up and hopefully they will all come out for you.

I do not envy you having to take out 2 sets of them though.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90stang5.0
YES! I used PB Blaster with a 30 min soak time. I found that a "slight" warming of the engine helped with the original breaking loose of the plugs. I'm talking like 30 seconds of idling time then start taking things apart.

I did not purchase the tool, but mine is a 3rd vehicle, so a little down time was no big deal if one broke. Just be VERY patient taking them out. Mine made a terrible sound and was extremely tight coming out. Just turn 1/8 turn out and then back in, over and over until they loosen up and hopefully they will all come out for you.

I do not envy you having to take out 2 sets of them though.

I can afford some downtime and I figured that it will be less painful if I do this to my stang first. Get mine done...then if her explorer has problems I'll have some time to do hers while she drives my explorer. I decided to order the tool because heck...why not have it and take my time rather than waiting for UPS to deliver since I cant seem to find it in Denver.

Any thoughts on letting the PB soak longer than 30 mins? Couple hours? overnight even?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
That's cause that tool is CRAP!!! Buy the Lisle tool for $75 a lot better and you can use it more than once.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-65600
Have you used the Lisle tool? How does it work? Instructions on the net seem a little vague other than one part is to push the ceramic down into the shield if it breaks off and the other I suppose thread into the shield to back it out? How many plugs did you have to use the tool on?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

The longer the "soak" after initial break loose, the more time the penetrant has to do it's "work". Take your time. I too found that a SLIGHT warming ( a minute or two) of the engine greatly helped with the initial break loose. Best of luck.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Any thoughts on letting the PB soak longer than 30 mins? Couple hours? overnight even?[/QUOTE]

I only let mine soak for 30 minutes with PB Blaster like I posted before, but I can tell you that when I pulled the plugs out, the carbon was soft and wiped right off after only that amount of time. So I figure more time would not have done anything, but that is just my case and I only had 25k miles on my car and not much carbon buildup. Others may have different problems.
If your plugs creak, snap and groan as much as mine did coming out, you will subtract about 2 years from your life due to stress.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

I pulled mine this weekend I had the barrowed the tool from a buddy if i needed it. I just pulled them right out, no oil nothing. Cracked the intial seal and kept going. All 8 came right out. I had 27K on the clock.

Quick Reply: Another spark plug question post