Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers, I'm at a loss on what to do.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

What brands am I going to look at that will give me these things?

Do some reading first on forced induction and that includes turbocharging.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

Cheap. Fast. Reliable.

Pick two.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
No, Saleen advertises it...Roush talks the talk and will back it up. They blew up a bunch of 2005-2006 Stage 2-3 F-150's due to a tuning error a few year back. Without question, they fixed the issue.

I've also seen them repair driveshafts that were sheared by a few guys in their Stage 3 trucks at the Dragstrip when running slicks.

Roush doesn't just ***** nilly say they'll warranty it. They are serious
The question was can you do a blower safely, I replied that those two advertise that you can.

No question the day something breaks Roush will step up.

and that day WILL come.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Everyone has given pretty good advice. You have to figure out with is the MOST important thing for you and go from there. Centri will be hard to beat for the money. Reliable/Cheap. Twin Screw is Reliable/Instant Boost. Both can get you to your power numbers. Just depends how soon you want it.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
I have to tell ya if I did it all over again, I would have gotten a used GT500. Just a simple pulley swap, CAI, & tune and you're looking at a safe 550rwhp. That forged motor can take a serious pounding. There are lots of people running 700 rwhp on them.
Ditto. 350whp isn't gonna be enough for me. A used GT500 makes a lot of sense if you want to get into boost and go for bigger numbers than you'll see out of this NA 4.6 3v. Of course you can get 400+whp out of the 4.6 - but you'll either blow the motor getting there or you'll end up spending the money and labor on a shortblock sooner or later anyway.

Keep in mind these cars have blown up on dynos at well under 400whp. If you are one of the unlucky ones... pretty bad situation if it's your DD.

Last edited by Riptide; 04-20-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

My neighbor has an 06 with a Magnacharger on it. It's definitely louder than my Whipple.

I guess the real question is how long are you going to keep the car?
If you trade it in after 4 years then who cares what the SC does to the engine...
(Well, you don't want it to blow up...)

Might affect your trade-in value, but when the 2015 GTs come out with a 500 hp 5.0 in them you won't really care too much...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Of course you can get 400+whp out of the 4.6 - but you'll either blow the motor getting there or you'll end up spending the money and labor on a shortblock sooner or later anyway.
BS. Nobody is blowing motors at 400 RWHP unless something is seriously wrong.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It's not BS dude.

I read it from one of JDM's tuners. They had a car blow at 360whp on the dyno.

Probably just a weak motor from the factory.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Good luck in your decision. I am facing a similar problem as you. I want to add a twin screw and reliable tune, but I'm still worried about #1 the engine blowing, the cost of the kit and supporting mods I would need, and mostly just the factor of worrying about my bottom end blowing when running a possible 420-440rwhp saleen sc with a custom tune.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I'm running the Kenne Bell stage 2 kit with their tune and it's great. good power on the stock motor (473whp) and very reliable so far.

everyone is worried about supporting mods but honestly you can just put the KB kit on the stock motor with everything else stock and you're fine. any of the good brands with a good tune and you'll be fine, I mention KB since that's what I have. it's up to you if you want to build everything for more boost but you don't have to if you don't want to. only thing you'll probably need is a clutch at some point but mine is holding so far. I put in an axle back and the Meziere electric water pump at the same time to free up a little more power without raising boost, otherwise it's all stock.

as far as a guy blowing a motor at 360whp that's pretty low but anything is possible. who knows how that guy (or the previous owner if it's used) treated that car. it could have been over rev'd at some point, maybe they ran low on oil at some point, who knows. I'd be very surprised if that motor didn't have anything wrong with it and died at 360whp when everyone else on here has to get at or around the 500whp mark before running into trouble. I would treat that situation as a fluke or someone not sharing the whole story and they made a mistake or something.

Last edited by candymanjl; 04-20-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Superchargers, I'm at a loss on what to do.