Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my GT was wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
TheRage

Out of curiousity does texas have no fault insurance?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Mark25
1st Gear Member

Mustangs may be built tough...but yours looks like it took a pounding...hopefully the adjuster will declare it totaled and then you can go about getting a new one...
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
His Insurance is gonna send an adjuster out to look at your car.
They might recommend their own "preferred" shop, which I advise you to ignore if you don't know where to take the car.

If you don't have a quality shop in mind, try a restoration shop familiar with Ford or a high end shop that repair exotic cars and such....

Avoid Insurance recommended shops and Ford dealers at all costs.

Good luck.
Well as someone who also works in a bodyshop... I find myself agreeing with Pascal everytime this comes up.... anybody notice a pattern?

Insurance companies recommend a shop not because of high quality work, but because that shop keeps costs down. Remember, take a look at the best selling cars in america...hondas, toyotas... many of those owners don't hold their cars to the visual standards we do (hell most are so ugly already, what does it matter if the bumpers dont match/fit).
My bodyshop has been removed from the "recommended" list of a few insurance companies not because of complaints (we have 0 complaints) but because we get behind customers and fight for OEM parts, and fight for extra time to buff a new car. Therefore, a 10/10 repair at our shop costs the insurance company more then a 8/10 shop at a different shop. They'd rather pay for the 8/10 job because 90% of customers won't care.
We have many customers coming in from other shops who say they will NEVER go to one of those recommended shops again.

As far as dealers, they're the same way for prices. Many dealers simply load your car onto a truck and bring it to a bodyshop they have a partenership with, hardly the dealer you thought it was getting fixed at.
We've had dealers threaten customers that their warranties would be voided if not repaired at their "dealership" (aka body-shop down the street)... which is totally false.

now if you know a manager in the dealer, you may be okay... He may be able to poke his head into the shop and make sure it gets extra attention, and back you up. Otherwise, i would generally avoid a dealer.

This is not to say you won't get screwed at any different shop... it's hard to find a good shop, I'm just trying to say don't immediately think insurance recommended shops are the best option.

That all said, good luck, and glad to hear your alright!

'Jim
Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Hell, here in Texas, you're lucky if someone stops when they hit you! If they don't, they most likely don't have insurance anyways or are not legally in the country and don't have a driver's license.

A friend of mine had that happen a few months ago, but it was a little worse; car was totaled, too.

Check locally (not sure where you are) for reputable body shops. A dealer shop is not always your best bet for color match and even completeness/proper repair. One of the WORSE repair's I had done once was at a dealer; they left half the bolts out and stuff started coming apart a few months later....but the paint was good.

Glad that you're mostly alright, though.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:11 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Glad your ok - see if you can get references from body shops. I know my buddy asked for it, was able to speak to a few people who were car guys that went as far as meeting up with him to show him the quality work.

A dealership backing up its work LOL Unheard of, at least in my area - and I quote, " least if I take it to a dealer near me, I get a life time warranty on the work and materials" - Sure, until the dealer folds.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by imfamousjim
My bodyshop has been removed from the "recommended" list of a few insurance companies not because of complaints (we have 0 complaints) but because we get behind customers and fight for OEM parts, and fight for extra time to buff a new car.
I used to be a "Recommended" shop for State Farm and All State for a very short while, lol.
They expected me to do stuff for free, like all the buffing and the extra time needed to fit aftermarket parts was never included in the labor. No Insurance Cies that I know off, are compensating the shops for any of that labor and you have to fight to get buffing time since today's materials are basically schit.

Anyway, I told them to go pound sand I concentrated on nicer cars and custom stuff.
Best move I ever made BTW.

Thanks for your input Jim.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your stang getting wrecked and glad to hear you weren't hurt, even though that sounded like quite a ride you had. Make sure to pick a high quality shop, you don't want headaches further down the road.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

That really sucks.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

damn sorry to hear man, but glad you are okay
Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Hey, Ford's body shop use to do my bodywork on my Toyota all the time! (When I couldn't stop hitting stuff or being hit) Great work too!

Only because I knew the body guy and the paint guy personally and they would do it after hours, lol

Any work I have had done on the stang goes to a local shop that we did their alignments for. Awesome work there. Lexus certified if that means anything.....