Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud clunking in the rear? Ford can't find it... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Check to make sure everything for the upper control arm is torqued down correctly. When I installed my 1-piece d/s and J&M UCA it make a loud pop the first time I really got on it. I suspect it was the bolt that's under the rear set that holds the upper control arm mount settling in after I re-installed it. It hasn't done it since.

I think the bolt I'm talking about goes to 129 ft/lbs. I don't remember the torque rating of the other UCA bolts though.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

You could pull out the rear seat and have somone back there and have them listen for the noise right where the UCA bolts to the floor under the seat.

(just reread the op, you already did that)

Last edited by atomicpunk; 04-21-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Mine didn't sound like it came from a specific area, just sounded like a pop/bang under the car.

Did you check the bushings in the lower control arms? I take it you have aftermarket LCA's if you have relocation brackets. The bushings failed twice in my BMR LCA's and I have since switched over to J&M ones.

Last edited by dysan; 04-21-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

He had Steeda LCA and UCA but took them off cause he was trying to eliminate the sound. We've also torqued the living hell out of the bolt under the back seat that goes to the UCA.

We went back to the dealer today and they hadn't done crap to it all day - meanwhile his tan leather sit was sitting on a dirty *** workbench in the shop (nice eh?). They said they had 3 different techs ride along while another was driving and they seemed to think it was coming from a more forward location such as the carrier bearing or carrier bearing mount. They are supposed to pull the console tomorrow and see if they can pinpoint the problem, but to be honest they have been pretty crappy about this whole situation.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by William Schmieder
For those of you who posted thank you for your input.

To add.....the car does not make that noise when driving, even if your cruising at 50 throw it in 3rd and punch it. The only way to make the noise is to put it in reverse and get on it spiritedly, then do the same going forward (from a dead stop) then if you go forward again it wont do it. So its like when you throw it in reverse something is slamming forward then when you throw it in 1st and go forward slamming backward.

The reason I think that is because after whatever it is slams backward it does not do it again until you reverse it.
You know what?
Since it only happens in reverse and the tranny gives a different torque rotation in that case, check that your exhaust tubes clear more than a 1/4 from any other part of the car.
I've seen this cr@p happening more than once and people spent all kinds of dough when it was a cheap easy fix.
Having said that, it could be your reverse gear inside your tranny but the sound wouldn't be all that loud.
Check your exhaust routing...
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
baumie

I agree with pascal. when I installed aftermarket exhaust it would cause a loud clunkin noise. I knew it was the exhaust and prior to fixing it a brought it in for an oil change and the mech said my suspension was making the noise. (clueless). Also check to make sure your spare tire is secure in the trunk and not shifting around.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Had issues with mine clunking after installing UCA, LCA etc. Anyway some info om a clunk issue from steeda
www.steeda.com/forums/index.php?topic=657.0
To me it would seem if you go one way and got a clunk and then got to reverse something is shifting and it is a suspension issue. But it took taking mine to the shop 3 times and finally tossing the piece of crap BMR UCA for a Steeda unit to fix it. Something is lose or wore out.... clunk clunk clunk.. good luck!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:05 PM
William Schmieder

I spoke to ford today. They told me that they added 3 new techs to the list. Including some from the body shop. They took all the interior out including the trunk, and had someone ride in the trunk while they test drove the car to make the noise. Then they told me that they could make the noise without the car moving.

Tomorrow they plan to pull the struts out and swap them to see if they can make the noise jump from one side to the other. If the noise moves they will replace the struts and test drive again. They said the feel confident that they are finally getting somewhere. If that dies not work then they are back to diagnosing.

It makes some sense because I have seen some other threads on the forums where people had banging and clunking noises and it was do to bad struts. Hopefully there will be some light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

herpes?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
AllGT
1st Gear Member

Default lca's

I had the exact same thump sound on my 06. I tightened the lower lca bolts and put locktite on em and the thumping stopped. Might want to check that?

Quick Reply: Loud clunking in the rear? Ford can't find it... Help!