Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud clunking in the rear? Ford can't find it... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
William Schmieder

The factory torqued all the bolts in the back of the car and it still does it, now there saying it cold be a shock that they just replaced or the shock tower mounting point. Ill find out tomorrow if they did anything and ill let you know.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by William Schmieder
We checked under the car for any loose welds on the body or anywhere else. At the ford dealer they loosened every bolt then tightened them back to factory specs. It still made the noise. I am kinda lost and dumb found......
Beware as every suspension bolt back there is a one-time-use fastner.
The Ford place should know this and follow the workshop manual and
replace the hardware as it is not to be reused and retorqued but thrown
away and replaced with new one-time-use fastners whenever removed.

Sounds like they are going to cause you lots of problems down
the road when all the rear interior they removed starts to drive
you crazy with new rattles and squeeks....
Old 04-24-2010, 06:27 PM
William Schmieder

Well I went to look at the car and all they really took out was the bottom of the back seats which just clips in and they took the top of the back seats and folded them down.

Ill ask them about why they did not replace the bolts. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

So Ford told him yesterday that they were giving up on the car because they couldn't find it and that he should just come pick it up. He mentioned the single use bolts to which the service manager replied "well i guess you'll need to buy some bolts"

I'm completely dumbfounded at the lack of customer service, skill, and downright "we don't give a f*ck" attitude this dealer has. What's worse is that dealer is the "sponsor" of the local Mustang club we're both in.

W...T...F...?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Hope you find what it is.

Last edited by White05GT; 04-28-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I already know what his problem is.....

The OEM UCA mount has a 16MM hole, but the OEM UCA (aftermarket ones also) only have a 14MM hole and Ford used a 14MM bolt to mount it to the OEM mount. This leaves 2MM of slop that clunks.

Here is the fix!

UCA Stepped Spacers

It amazes me how a call to Ford corporate wouldn't have brought up this fix.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I've been in a 2007 that didn't have that clunk coming from the rear. Not saying that the upper and mount aren't producing the noise but it seems a little strange that some cars would do this while others do not - and they are both using OEM hardware back there.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

My 06GT clunks when I shift and come off the clutch a little too quick, does it sometimes but not a alot.. Should I be concerned with this at all?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Mine has clunked when going into 2nd frequently since I bought it. After a axle-exchange driveshaft went in the issue is still there. Had zero effect on that. I doubt your car is going to break on you because of it.

The other clunk I'm getting out of the rear is when going over bumps and not upon acceleration. It's easy to reproduce. Go up a driveway, over railroad tracks, or a washboard part of the road. Chuckles like a ****. My lowers are in there fine and the rest back there is stock.

I intend to investigate this myself over the weekend. If I figure it out I'll post back here. I've been told it's the upper/mount, which it might be, but I want to confirm.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I've been in a 2007 that didn't have that clunk coming from the rear. Not saying that the upper and mount aren't producing the noise but it seems a little strange that some cars would do this while others do not - and they are both using OEM hardware back there.
My car (2008) had a major clunk from the rear end when I drove over a major bump (railroad track, pothole, etc.). When I lowered my car 1.25" in the rear (Steeda Sports) the clunk only over major bumps became a clunk that occurs more frequently only at slower speeds and cornering on rougher roads. I've talked with a guy at UMI and he told me exactly what my problem is. He could have said, oh you must buy 200.00's of new UCA mount and Poly UCA, but he didn't. He said the only thing needed are the spacers to remove 2MM of slop from the mounting hole.

The fix cost me 19.00 shipped.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 09-24-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Loud clunking in the rear? Ford can't find it... Help!