Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wreck Today...What do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If the door problem is caused by the fender jamming it, you're fine.
If the A post where the door hinges bolt to is compromised, then the car is definitely totaled.

Knowing that the hood now retails for $1300, that might total the car right there...
If not, you can put that money towards the C series stuff.
Don't how much that costs.
You could also go with the GT500 conversion.
Wait and seen how they gonna handle this, then you can make plans.
Remember, 70% of the value of the car in damage will total it...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah. I guess I was just hopeful because the guy at the wrecker said it was repairable. I didn't check to see what was causing the door issue. I guess it doesn't look good...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
nottey4.6
1st Gear Member

The white line is there for a reason! With the way people drive today don't make the situation worse by driving like them! It could have been a lot worse. You are lucky to be worried about the front end and not your health.

Last edited by nottey4.6; 04-22-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Glad your with USAA as well. They will take care of you. Glad you came out of it ok and the vehicle is just an object and can be fixed or replaced. I just had my truck totalled I bought it in 2008 for 13,000 with 3,000 miles. USAA estimated it 2 years after with 25,000 miles as being worth 17,000. So USAA is sending me a check for 5,000 since I owe only 11,000 on it and unfortunately I had a 1,000 dollar deductible.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

OP, when you get a chance post some pictures of your damage.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
If the door problem is caused by the fender jamming it, you're fine.
If the A post where the door hinges bolt to is compromised, then the car is definitely totaled.

Knowing that the hood now retails for $1300, that might total the car right there...
If not, you can put that money towards the C series stuff.
Don't how much that costs.
You could also go with the GT500 conversion.
Wait and seen how they gonna handle this, then you can make plans.
Remember, 70% of the value of the car in damage will total it...
Glad they didn't total my daugher's 2006 Focus. She had a nasty accident last year that cost $6K in damage. We have Nationwide and they covered it except for the $1K deductible.
The shop did a great job. You would never have known it had been in an accident.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Need to see what that first estimate on the damage is before thinking ahead too much.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The cop cannot decide if the witness's testimony is valid or not, he MUST take down the guys testimony and you can turn it over to the insurance company and let them work it out. If they go to arbitration, the judge will decide if the testimony can be used or not.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The cop cannot decide if the witness's testimony is valid or not, he MUST take down the guys testimony and you can turn it over to the insurance company and let them work it out. If they go to arbitration, the judge will decide if the testimony can be used or not.
What can I do about it now though. To my knowledge, he didn't even write it down. I'll access the report once I get home, but I'm pretty sure he just wrote that the light was yellow. I can go talk to the guy that said it was red...I know where he works now, but I don't know what good that will do at this point.

As far as the car goes, its looking like it may be totalled because of the door damage. No word yet, but thats my guess...I don't know what to do if it is because the KBB on a 6er isn't good.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Wait for the estimate.

If you want to do mods, you'll be able to if the car isn't totaled. If your mods cost more than the authorized repair amount, that'll come out of your pocket.

I had a wreck too (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...onversion.html) and came out of it with a GT500 front end (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-friendly.html).

It cost me $1k deductible + $1k additional parts/labor (and another $1k if you count the money I spent on GT500 takeoff rims/tires afterward because the stock ones didn't look "right" after the conversion), but was still cheaper than having to it sans wreck.

So to answer your question, yes, you can come out of this with cheaper mods! (Cheaper compared to doing them if your car hadn't been wrecked). Of course, this is assuming that you never planned to sell your car, as there is a very real opportunity cost with the wreck in that if you try to sell your car down the road, it will be worth less.

Quick Reply: Wreck Today...What do I do now?