Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds 5.0 test....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM
HEMI LOL
1st Gear Member

Default Edmunds 5.0 test....

"On the quarter-mile at Auto Club Speedway in lush, parklike Fontana, California, IL's long-term Camaro SS whomped to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.1 seconds with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The full quarter-mile went by in 13.1 seconds at 110.4 mph.
Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph."

http://www.insideline.com/2011-ford-mustang.html
Old 04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah... seems like Ford always shows up a few bucks short, lol. I still love my Ford's though (diggin my new '10 F-150). That is a driver's race between the Camaro and the Mustang.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Did you read the article? They said that they tested another gt that ran the 1/4 in 13 flat @110.6 with summer tires. Tires make a huge difference.

The 13.3 @107.6 seemed slow to me. I'm sure people will be regularly running in the 12's with the new 5.0 completely stock.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
HEMI LOL
1st Gear Member

i think that the 5.0 may have been over hyped just a tad. last month the 5.0 was running high 11's@145mph according to some fanboys. LOL it will be a drivers race with an SS with the slight edge going to the stang.

its easy for me, i love both cars... i win either way.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

The biggest issue of this test was testing a Camaro SS with it's summer tires and Brembo brake option to a Mustang with All Season tires and base brakes (though both are still very good in "base" form.
But if you are going to do a comparison test, do so equally performance equipped (meaning best available on both, or base on both).

I must remind all about Cal Speedway. It's a slow track. Runs uphill by 4 feet.
When they did this comparison test there was probably a DA of around 2000+ feet.

And, strangely you'd think the people at Edmunds/Inside Line would know better about the tires before making a comment relating to their thoughts that there would be a performance difference of 110+ mph traps and 107 mph traps between production 11 Mustang GT's.

Different days tested, means different DA's, but the fact of the matter is, it's the All Season Tires vs Summer tires.
There were no complaints on tough launches on the Summer P Zero tires compared to the All Season P Zero Neros.
Further, read the acceleration comments they right, "big rubber (spinning) with 2nd to 3rd and even 3rd to 4th shift" on Mustang.

Spinning during the shift = slower ET's and slower traps, period.

Again, you'd think they'd know that. Equip the 11 Mustang GT with the summer tires again and they'd have easier time with the launch, and less spinning during the shifts, which will equal better ET's and traps.
Also keep in mind the Summer tires with the Brembo brake package are wider too which also helps with grip.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:33 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Like Driver 72 said, Cal speedway/Fontana is a slow track. For the test I don't know if the track was prepped but during street legal events, the track is not prepped. My best run there on street tires is 14.00 at 102.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 PM
HEMI LOL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
The biggest issue of this test was testing a Camaro SS with it's summer tires and Brembo brake option to a Mustang with All Season tires and base brakes (though both are still very good in "base" form.
But if you are going to do a comparison test, do so equally performance equipped (meaning best available on both, or base on both).

I must remind all about Cal Speedway. It's a slow track. Runs uphill by 4 feet.
When they did this comparison test there was probably a DA of around 2000+ feet.

And, strangely you'd think the people at Edmunds/Inside Line would know better about the tires before making a comment relating to their thoughts that there would be a performance difference of 110+ mph traps and 107 mph traps between production 11 Mustang GT's.

Different days tested, means different DA's, but the fact of the matter is, it's the All Season Tires vs Summer tires.
There were no complaints on tough launches on the Summer P Zero tires compared to the All Season P Zero Neros.
Further, read the acceleration comments they right, "big rubber (spinning) with 2nd to 3rd and even 3rd to 4th shift" on Mustang.

Spinning during the shift = slower ET's and slower traps, period.

Again, you'd think they'd know that. Equip the 11 Mustang GT with the summer tires again and they'd have easier time with the launch, and less spinning during the shifts, which will equal better ET's and traps.
Also keep in mind the Summer tires with the Brembo brake package are wider too which also helps with grip.
thats all well and good...

the aritcle does mention that they testes s brembo car with better tires and it went 13.0@110. if its a slow track, it just proves my point that the two are a drivers race. if on a slow track the SS is going 13.0@110 there then the law of averages will say the two will run side by side most of the time. i do think that the five ohhh has an advantage.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Just put some DR's of the same size on both and go to town on the same day.

Drivers race.

At 110 trap those cars can go 12.4-12.6 with a good tire. Thats what I ran when I trapped 110.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1 agreed, but Edmunds loves doing a stock test. What does it really matter. Most of the camaro's are untouched while the mustang almost always gets modded.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Schwantz

I already own a 2010 SS, and I am seriously considering the 2011 Mustang GT as well. I am guessing these cars will be neck and neck, and 1/10 here or there is not gonna mean a hill of beans.

Both cars make massive power in different ways, and both are great fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 5.0 test....