Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Warrenty seems abit scewed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Flying5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Warrenty seems abit scewed

Ok, here is my situation. I baught the 2010 GT and it has the 3.31 gears in it. Now I would like to put 3.73's in it to gain alittle more performance out of the car. So I call up my Ford Dealership that I baught the car from and ask them what they would charge me for the install of said gears. Now mind you I have already purchased the gears so this quote is just for Labor alone including the reflash of the ECM. They told me it would cost $1000 to do the install!!! Does that seem high to anyone else or is it just me?

Ontop of that, they proceeded to explain to me that installing said gears would officially VOID the remaining warranty on my car. So I explained that these cars come out from the factory with those gears installed in them, and that Ford would be doing the install. But according to them it doesn't matter as it is not what came on the car from the factory. I can sort of understand that to a point, but again these cars come from the factory with warranty coverage with the 3.73 gear ratio in them.

Now I am worried that if they are getting that nit picky when it comes to warranty, will they void the warranty if I change my exhaust? Where is the line that you don't want to cross to not loose your warranty???
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

I have an 05 with extended warranty and they told me that 3:73 would void my warranty so i asked how much to do 4:10's and one guy told me he never heard of 4:10 and someone else told me it would be $850 or so for labor and then another told me 4:10 are illegal. The sad thing is these were all people from Ford with these dumb a$$ answers. I agree about the 3:73 but these said it still voids it thats why i changed my mind to 4:10. Havent installed them yet cause there arent too many shops in my location. Not sure about the exhaust. Axel backs shouldnt void the warranty but my friend at work bought a new camaro and wanted axels but the dealer said it would void it. My advice for you A)screw your warranty and add what u want...B)screw the gears and exhaust and save for a supercharger for when your warranty expires.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

My dealer told me that even if I buy after market online parts just give them a call and they will install it for me (to a limit I'm sure) however you need to find a new dealer cause they cant legaly void all your warrenty just for new gears or exhaust unless that part directly was the reason that something broke.
I'm in Canada and dont know the Canadian laws but know that theres laws state side to protect you guys, cant remember the names though, too many after work beers!

Last edited by def67; 04-26-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Oh and if they do the work they should warrenty it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Flying5.0
1st Gear Member

That was my way of thinking too. I asked "so it would just void the warranty on the rear differential if I had them chang the gears"? And they replied "No it would void my ENTIRE drive train warranty."
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

How will they know? You cant see them and all you have to say is that you havent lol. Unless the problem persists in the gears...
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 AM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

AFAIK, the warranty can only be legitimately voided if the dealer can prove that your aftermarket part is the source of whatever problem you're trying to get fixed.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
How will they know? You cant see them and all you have to say is that you havent lol. Unless the problem persists in the gears...
I was told (by a Ford tech) that one of the first things they do when you bring in your car for warranty work is download all your PCM parameters and currently stored driving data (which amounts to some number of miles; not sure how many though.)

When they see that the OEM parameters don't match the current parameters, it'll be obvious: the axle ratio will differ.

If you have the ability to reflash your PCM back to 3.31 beforehand, then I'm not sure if they could tell (short of spinning the wheels and counting the rotations of the driveshaft.)

But many consumer handheld tuners don't allow "just" an axle ratio change; they upload a canned (or custom) tune along with it. So they'd really notice if you reflashed it back to 3.31 and had some sort of tune in there. (I'd actually like to know if there is such a consumer handheld device that allows the changing of just a user adjustable parameter without uploading a tune, anyone? Expensive laptop software isn't exactly what I'm looking for, though.)

Anyway, I had my performance shop's software guy alter the axle ratio, which changed only that aspect of the factory tune. (And yes, he had to use his laptop to get it done.) I then downloaded it to my tuner, and dumped it to my computer.

Personally, I came to grips about the warranty on the rear before I had the swap done. If it needs service someday, I'll pay. It's a choice I made.

OP: As for a gear swap voiding your entire powertrain warranty, that's someone giving you misinformation.

This is plastered all over the forum, but I called Ford's ESP Headquarters anyway before the swap and talked w/the technical department. And, as expected, they said "Yes, the warranty on the ring/pinion will be void, and any other damage caused by said alteration also wouldn't be covered."

You may want to:

1) Try a different dealer or...
2) Talk with Ford's warranty division for some peace of mind

Last edited by 7up; 04-27-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Flying5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 7up
OP: As for a gear swap voiding your entire powertrain warranty, that's someone giving you misinformation.

This is plastered all over the forum, but I called Ford's ESP Headquarters anyway before the swap and talked w/the technical department. And, as expected, they said "Yes, the warranty on the ring/pinion will be void, and any other damage caused by said alteration also wouldn't be covered."

You may want to:

1) Try a different dealer or...
2) Talk with Ford's warranty division for some peace of mind
That is what I was thinking. Also it seems like they should warranty the gear install as well since they are the ones doing the install. What I mean by warranty the install is if something goes wrong and the gears fail do to a bad setup. I got these gears from Gzmo here off the forrums and they are FRPP gears which are a Brand new in the box set, Thx again Gzmo you rock man!! I will do exccactly what you suggested and give Ford's warranty Devision a call.

I think what also kinda urked me was that they are not willing to cut me a break on install price since I purchased the car from them. Doesn't $1000 seem high to any one else?
Thanks for all your replies guys.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Labor for Install:
running average rate is about $500

about $750 for labor + gears

I've been quoted $500-600 for labor alone from Austin to Seattle and now Honolulu. You can get a cheaper price...but remember you get what you pay for.
Voiding Warranty:
um yeah, they are full of ****.

at worst case, you will be voiding your warranty on the Axle alone. I know plenty of people who have had Ford Dealerships install new gears and maintained their warranty 100%.

When you mod a vehicle, only the portions you mess with are potentially voided for the warranty. And Ford has to prove that your actions caused the damage that is being claimed under Warranty work. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I suggest you get a different Dealership. The one you are talking to obviously doesn't want your money.

Quick Reply: Ford Warrenty seems abit scewed