Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new battery caught fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fred Malibu
..so how did the fire go out?!

hope that fireproof pad under the hood saved u from damage to the car!
it did. and to think that one day i was thinking about taking it off. there is a burn mark on the hood right above where the pos terminal is, and a little bit of ash i could clean off right above the hood latch that was sparking.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
I agree, but I'm a broke college kid and losing the money hurts me a lot more than them, and as VRFlip says, they will resell it. I need money for Mustang parts!!!
So you are a broke college kid that is trying to cheat an autoparts store out of some money so that you can buy more parts for your Mustang. Yet you have an F-150 as well. I am thinking you need to rethink some of your logic.

Try to return the battery that flamed your Mustang, be honest about what happened. If they don't allow you to return it, chaulk it up to one of life's lessons. Then go to a different autopart store with you tail between your legs and buy the correct battery for your Mustang. I guarantee you will not make the same mistake twice if you own up to your error.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

you are young so i will give you a little life lesson...Karma is a B(*&%ch...if you do the right things, the right things will happen to you...if you cheat people and lie bad stuff will happen! just my 2 cents, take it or leave it!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM
JimC

f150 interstate battery = 12 x 7.5 x 7.5 vs. stang interstate battery = 10.94 x 6.88 x 6.88
i will definitely be getting rid of this battery. i bought a battery from autozone a week for my f150, im thinking about putting this one in the f150. taking the duralast out of the f150 and telling them they gave me the wrong battery for my stang. thats really my only bet or ill be out 100 bucks and have a new battery i can hopefully sell locally
Originally Posted by VRFlip
They won't be out a dime when they resell the battery you take back to them. Make sure the burned one works in your truck and take the other one back and exchange it for the right one for your Mustang. No one has to take a loss.
I agree, but I'm a broke college kid and losing the money hurts me a lot more than them, and as VRFlip says, they will resell it. I need money for Mustang parts!!!
So, all of you who support running this scam --- which one of you will be the first one to complain that the shop sold you a USED BATTERY and didn't give you any discount? Which of you will be the first to complain about prices of new parts because of all the scams being run?

Man up - YOU screwed up not the seller so just take care of it honestly.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

Seem to me you shorted the battery with the hood hope your ecm and smart box is ok??When Interstate come to adjust the battery they will see the post and refuse the adj. Good luck with that one? I have seen that burn a hole right through the hood it happen a lot when the hold down is missing. that size battery is not for a Mustang. Remember these guy look at Battery all week long. That could have been a lot worse. Hope your is ok.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

f150 interstate battery = 12 x 7.5 x 7.5 vs. stang interstate battery = 10.94 x 6.88 x 6.88
i will definitely be getting rid of this battery. i bought a battery from autozone a week for my f150, im thinking about putting this one in the f150. taking the duralast out of the f150 and telling them they gave me the wrong battery for my stang. thats really my only bet or ill be out 100 bucks and have a new battery i can hopefully sell locally

Good lord! Someone should smack your parents.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

this makes no sense at all

IF you did buy a battery with reversed terminals, how can your car start? Current can flow thru the wrong wires, but it won't be long enough to energize the starter/

You would have popped multiple fuses and the car would not have started.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

He's not talking about taking the burned up battery back, he's going to try and use that one. He's talking about taking the other one back and exchanging it for a different one.

How many of you ever bought the wrong part or item from a store and returned it for an exchange? That's all he's talking about doing. If Autozone says he can't exchange it since it's been a week or whatever, then he'll be stuck. He's not trying to give them back the damaged item. It's a simple matter of an exchange of a new battery that he bought one week ago. In fact, he probably just did them the favor of charging the thing up to full capacity during the week it was on his truck.

Would you morality police be crying if he hadn't said he was going to try and tell them they gave him the wrong one? What if he said "Hey Autozone, I accidentally purchased a F-150 battery, when in fact I needed a Mustang battery. I bought it last week, can I exchange it for a new one?"
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
He's not talking about taking the burned up battery back, he's going to try and use that one. He's talking about taking the other one back and exchanging it for a different one.

How many of you ever bought the wrong part or item from a store and returned it for an exchange? That's all he's talking about doing. If Autozone says he can't exchange it since it's been a week or whatever, then he'll be stuck. He's not trying to give them back the damaged item. It's a simple matter of an exchange of a new battery that he bought one week ago. In fact, he probably just did them the favor of charging the thing up to full capacity during the week it was on his truck.

Would you morality police be crying if he hadn't said he was going to try and tell them they gave him the wrong one? What if he said "Hey Autozone, I accidentally purchased a F-150 battery, when in fact I needed a Mustang battery. I bought it last week, can I exchange it for a new one?"
This is what he said,
"im thinking about putting this one in the f150. taking the duralast out of the f150 and telling them they gave me the wrong battery for my stang. thats really my only bet or ill be out 100 bucks and have a new battery i can hopefully sell locally."

He's going to lie to try to get a different battery for his Mustang after he made the mistake. And morality police? Really? Why should the store be responsible for his mistake and take a loss? Maybe if he goes in there and explains what happened they will work with him. That's what we are saying he should do. And, you know what, I'm glad the morality police are on here. We have enough cheats, liars and losers in this world and it's nice to see some upstanding people taking a stand for what's right. This guy now has a choice to do what's right or to go ahead and lie to fix what he did wrong.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

^^ Exactly

Quick Reply: new battery caught fire