Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas mileage went down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Default Gas mileage went down?

Alright, I just got back from a car show down in LA. I drive over 1000 miles on the freeway during the week and the car says I got an average of 20mpg. Same time last year with the same mods I got about 22-23mpg. What gives?

Anyone have any ideas on what I should check? I pumped the tires up to 36psi and made sure all the fluids were topped off. I guess maybe I need to clean my air filter? It does look a little dirty.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Did you reset your calculator right before the trip?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't think a dirty air filter has much to do with mpg on a computer controlled car. The computer adjusts the A/F ratio. A dirty air filter can affect the performance.

I wonder whether the gasoline blend changed over the past year (e.g., more ethanol in the gas now).
Old 05-01-2010, 11:35 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
Did you reset your calculator right before the trip?
Yep, I also reset it on the way back just to check to make sure it was right and it instantly went to 20mpg. Other cars I was with (2x 08 bullitts) both got around 24-25mpg. I cant remember but I think I got a retune a while ago from bamachips and maybe he put too much fuel in.

Forgot to add also my car did the failsafe mode when I jumped on it after having it in cruise control from a while. I guess its that TSB where the car stutters after cruising for a while when you get on it. Mine actually killed the engine and I had to turn it back on at freeway speeds.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

yeah its probably the re tune. Out of every tune i had brenspeed,bama,tillman,and brooksspeed, i got the worst mileage with bama.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

have you ever changed your fuel filter?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Menes's GT
1st Gear Member

yea fuel filter and spark plug change?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, difference in % of ethanol in the fuel, cruising speed, tire pressure, spark plugs, load in the vehicle, road surface... Any of these or combination of these plus quite a few other factors can affect gas mileage. I have years and over 1 million miles of mileage records and differences in fuel consumption on the same vehicle and what you consider identical conditions is the rule and not the exception.

People think they're going to get XX.X MPG on the highway and XY.Z city, period. They're quite mistaken.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:27 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
have you ever changed your fuel filter?
Replaced the fuel filter 20k miles ago. Never done the spark plugs. Car just hit 50k miles.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, difference in % of ethanol in the fuel, cruising speed, tire pressure, spark plugs, load in the vehicle, road surface... Any of these or combination of these plus quite a few other factors can affect gas mileage. I have years and over 1 million miles of mileage records and differences in fuel consumption on the same vehicle and what you consider identical conditions is the rule and not the exception.

People think they're going to get XX.X MPG on the highway and XY.Z city, period. They're quite mistaken.
Just weird that the 4 other cars with me all got their normal gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage went down?