Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VMP Tuning any good? Need new Whipple tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default VMP Tuning any good? Need new Whipple tune

Does anyone here have a VMP Tuning "specialty tune" for their Whipple? How do you like it? I'm thinking of ditching my Jon Lund tune and going with something else. I haven't been too thrilled with my current tune. My gas pedal is too twitchy/sensitive when the car is cold... it's weird. I would start in first gear and with what seems like minimal movement of the gas pedal would cause the car to take off and go into boost. I would have to back off the pedal really quick or shift into second really quick, and in so doing, make the car act like I can't drive a stick. LOL I look like a first time stick shift driver with my car bucking back and forth because it's startling when it does it and I have to release the gas pedal or shift. Hahaha The car runs ok when it's warm though. Cruising at 65-70mph, I can lightly tap the gas pedal and she takes off. There's like zero delay in the pedal. I kind of wish there was.

Another weird thing is the cruise control. Sometimes I would set it and the car would begin to surge and the vacuum reading would jump back and forth from -9 to -1 in/Hg in 1 second intervals. It's very noticeable. Vacuum reading at idle is stable though so I don't think it's a vacuum leak. It's almost like the car can't maintain the set speed. Could this be throttle sensitivity related? There are times when it's ok though. I don't know if it has to do with pedal position like if I'm pressing the gas pedal when I set the cruise or when I'm coasting and I set it. I can live with this issue though as I don't use cruise control that much.

Anyway, I've emailed Jon Lund about the cruise control issue and got no response (two weeks now). I then asked him for a new tune since I'll be relocating my IAT sensor and also got no response (one week now). He only responded once when I had the issue where my car felt like it went into limp home mode a day or two after my Whipple install and he emailed me a revamped tune. Response time was same day so it's like he's ignoring me now. Oh well. I want a new tuner. Is VMP good? Who can else can do email tunes for the Whipple?

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 05-04-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I have the VMP Whipple tune.
I mostly needed a tune for the SCT programmer since the old Ford Racing tuner doesn't allow changes to rear end gear setting or tire diameter...
Plus I also wanted to re-locate my Intake Air Temp sensor to after the supercharger. It's a bit safer that way.
No problems with the tune - That I didn't cause - I had the strategy code wrong the first time...
My only question now is wheter the tune will pass emissions. I'm probably going to have to have it tested this year. Hopefully the rear O2 sensors aren't turned off.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

CalSpec i'd recommend a local dyno tune. one of the
things they concentrate on while tuning, is driveability.
maybe simon1 knows someone in your area.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

+1 on a local dynotune, if you have problems later, it's much easier to get them resolved as you can drop by the shop.

VMP dynotuned my car and it's held together for around 2 years, making some decent power. I'm sure his email tune is the base tune he starts his dynotuning with. It didn't take him very long to dynotune my car which says to me that his base tune is fairly close to being spot on. My IAT sensor is also relocated.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I have a VMP and have had no issues, e-mail version. I'd like to have a local dyno tune but that is down the road.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I had a VMP tune and it was a decent tune.
However, I too would recommend a custom dyno tune, from a tuner who knows what they are doing and have appropriate experience.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i have an email VMP tune for a gen 1 whipple
with a 3.375 pulley it got 462 rwhp/ 432 tq with 11.7 a/f
i now have a 3.5 pulley and it gets 449 rwhp/ 419 tq a/f is the same, tune is the same
Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Ichiduo

before i got my car dynotuned, i had vmp tunes on my cars with no problems.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll get the VMP tune once I relocate my IAT sensor. I would get a dyno tune but there's nobody close to me. TPS Motorsports was the closest but I hear they suck.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 AM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

I got a VMP dyno tune making 498rwhp and 497 rwtq. Got the IAT sensor and he told me i should reloacte it just havent found the time to do that project. But VMP tune has done me well.

Quick Reply: VMP Tuning any good? Need new Whipple tune