Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good day turned to SHAKLDDSKHNT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Couple of things come to mind here . . .

It seems like you live or drive in an area where nail-caused flats are common. Construction?

Finding out that the tread on both rear tires was almost gone was probably a blessing in disguise. Kind of crappy that it took a flat tire to find it out, but still better to have found out now rather than later.

Norm
I agree with you there.
I was no doubt a blessing in disguise in a way.

Gene K:

As far as what tires to get.
If I KNEW I was going to trade the car in FOR CERTAIN then I would get some crap tires and not worry about the rod. But be as I am not certain yet, if the saving is going to go towards a down payment at the end of the model year, or if the savings will go to mods, it puts me in a pickle.

I will have the car for a while longer
(up to a year even if I am trading)... so will the rod is something I will probably want fixed... or as you said let the dealership worry about it if I trade it?
THEN... if I keep it...get the rod fixed once I start feeling it while driving?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I dont really now how bad the tie rod is without seeing it, you will have to use your best judgement their.

Sumitomo has a new HTRZ III that will run about another $40 a pair over the HTRZ II and is likely if anything a better tire than the 555. Unless you are talking about tramlining, I have not ran either tire in that large a size on a Mustang so cant compare their behavior on pavement seams.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Make sure you definitely get the tie rod replaced ASAP, they are not difficult to change if you have basic mechanical skills. I used to have an 1986 Buick Grand National and Thank GOD I was only going about 25 Mph when mine broke, because all Hell would have broken loose at highway speeds.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolfpup
and the moral of this story is...???
If it has **** or tires, sooner or later it will cause you problems. These things happen, and I hope it works out well for you such that you can save some money.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry for your bad luck...but I have to tell you. Reading your posts is very entertaining! It reads as if you I can hear you saying it!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
I'm sorry for your bad luck...but I have to tell you. Reading your posts is very entertaining! It reads as if you I can hear you saying it!
LOL I was ALMOST saying it out loud as I typed I was so mad hahaha.

Anyways. I will be taking her to my uncle in about an hour for them to look at the rod and make sure it was not this place just trying to make a buck on me.

Not expecting the best but we'll see.....
I'll update the thread when I get back.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Saddle... I just read at the bottom of your sig..

Why are you getting rid of the GT500?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for your experience, I think we've all had days like that at one time or another. I've learned with cars to always look at the positive... you could have driven further and damaged the rim as well, the rod could have failed causing more damage or an accident. the worn tread could have failed, wheel damage or worse. $700 hurts but... you caught it early.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Just got back from the dealership.
Was NOT a rod. It's a joint.

Good news is that I would have bought a damn rod and it would not have fixed the issue.
Bad news is that it costs MORE.

I am going to replace the tires with good tires since I will have the car more than likely for at least another year.
Given that I do toy around with the car and have fun with it I feel safer with good tires on it.

Grand total is going to be about 1,000.00
Sucks *** but I am trying to look at the positive side in that the problem was found before damage was done.

My savings are bye-bye that I have worked up for the past months but I guess oh well.
Time to start from scratch.
I guess it gives me even more time to decide on whether I am going to keep this car or trade it in for a new 5.0.

It also gave me the opportunity to step back and stop feeling so rushed as to that decision.

These cars will be made at least for a few more years and I need to calm my *** down worrying about whether I will miss out on grabbing a POSSIBLE some-day collectors item.

Especially given the fact that I like my body style so much better.
The argument of that against the 5.0's engine and it maybe being the last big engine in a GT are my two arguments.

I do have from inside sources that the Mustang probably will be going to smaller engines with more HP.

Who's to say that mine won't be a collector's item as well just because of the body style and it being ONE of the last big engines in a Mustang.

And then again... who's to say either of these cars will or won't be collectors items or legends once all is set and done. Those days could just be gone for good.

Anyways. Point is I have time and even though this was a bummer maybe it was a blessing in disguise even more than the fact that it was caught before damage was done.

Like I said... it gives me time to FULLY think things through.
And enjoy the car I love for longer IF I do trade her in.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How much of this is labor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

Quick Reply: Good day turned to SHAKLDDSKHNT!