Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can this be or is it me

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abarker8541
^^^so true. take your cats off and you will feel it.
W/O cats I felt a difference. The car felt slower down low. The dyno confirmed that I had gained about 5rwhp but lost 3rwtq compared to the stock cattd H.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Dyno schmyno.

What does it trap in the 1/4 mile. That will show you a power increase if it's there.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nv4gt ws
after long tube install i picked up 20 rwhp and a ton of tq, but does not feel as stong. the only thing i can figure is my tq curve is flat now, so i dont feel it pull. check out dyno sheet.
are you comparing numbers on the same exact dyno? or did you dyno at one shop then dyno at this shop and compare those numbers?

typically a dyno dynamics dyno is a "heartbreaker" dyno since they typically read even lower than a mustang dyno by as much as 10% with mustang dynos typically reading lower than dynojets. unfortunately dyno dynamics dynos can have a "correction factor" programmed in that doesn't display on the screen or the printout. some shops will add to try and match dynojet numbers or if they're shadey they just want to inflate the numbers.

on an uncorrected dyno dynamics dyno if you put down 325 whp that would be more like 350-360whp on a dynojet and you would feel that my friend's S2000 put down 322whp an uncorrected dyno dynamics dyno and the same exact setup put down 350whp on two different dynojets.

only reason I mention that is that if the numbers are inflated then so are the gains. so if that dyno is showing a 20whp gain but with inflated numbers maybe the gain is really more like 10hp and you're less likely to notice 10hp on these heavy cars.

but go boost and gain 200whp and you'll notice that
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Dyno schmyno.

What does it trap in the 1/4 mile. That will show you a power increase if it's there.
I never ran the 1/8 or 1/4 mile w/o cats. I only kept the car un-catted for 2 weeks before adding hi-flows. But I could feel the loss of tq down low.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Well if it's any consolation the loss of low end power isn't going to matter when you race the car. But I know what you mean. It's annoying. I felt a loss from putting the delete plates in and it pissed me off. You spend 90% of your time in low to mid range revs and to have the car lose some power there where you drive it most - obnoxious.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
are you comparing numbers on the same exact dyno? or did you dyno at one shop then dyno at this shop and compare those numbers?

typically a dyno dynamics dyno is a "heartbreaker" dyno since they typically read even lower than a mustang dyno by as much as 10% with mustang dynos typically reading lower than dynojets. unfortunately dyno dynamics dynos can have a "correction factor" programmed in that doesn't display on the screen or the printout. some shops will add to try and match dynojet numbers or if they're shadey they just want to inflate the numbers.

on an uncorrected dyno dynamics dyno if you put down 325 whp that would be more like 350-360whp on a dynojet and you would feel that my friend's S2000 put down 322whp an uncorrected dyno dynamics dyno and the same exact setup put down 350whp on two different dynojets.

only reason I mention that is that if the numbers are inflated then so are the gains. so if that dyno is showing a 20whp gain but with inflated numbers maybe the gain is really more like 10hp and you're less likely to notice 10hp on these heavy cars.

but go boost and gain 200whp and you'll notice that
yes same dyno. i also had it on a dynojet and the numbers where close.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

well there's definitely a correction factor then if you getting numbers from a dyno dymanics that are close to a dynojet. but if you're comparing the new numbers to the old numbers on the same dyno it doesn't matter that much.

I think you just have the curse of needing more power it doesn't take long to get used to the extra power, it didn't take me long to get used to the supercharger
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Any video of the car on the dyno? Nice looking ride!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

After installing my long tubes I truly could not tell if I had gained any power when driving around town. It was definatly louder thats for sure. Went to the track and got three runs. All were faster by two tenths than last months runs.

patrick
Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 AM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vader GT
Any video of the car on the dyno? Nice looking ride!
thanks! no video.