Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Mustang for me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Synthetics offer more than extended oil life. They offer better lubrication in the form of less friction, and better heat transference which causes the engine to develop less hot spots and a bit lower overall operating temp.

I've seen a few tests where they take a motorcycle engine and run it with dyno oil under a thermal camera and then do the same with synthetic and you can see how much better heat distribution is. I think it was on some show on Spike or Speed network a few years back.
Yes I realize that... but I was thinking when you change your oil in such short intervals as 3k.. how much of a diff would synthetic really make...

But I do see your point in that less heat is always good.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

wash ur car and let some water go down the windshield and into the water drains for the windshield and then check ur passenger floor for wetness and then u will know if u have the dreaded water leak issue
Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

joutcelt.........yes I know how to test for the leak but no one has provided a fix. If it leaks, how is it corrected?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Miller if the car checks out, you should be good to go (especially on a 6K car). My car is an 08 & only has 7.5K on it (I only use it on weekends). Not sure about the plugs, but with 6K I would think that is not an issue.

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic w/a motorcraft filter. I have only changed the oil once. I tend to use Mobil 1 on all my cars with the factory (brand) filter.

Good luck & post pics once you get it!!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

Vader GT...yea it's in great shape. Im not worried about anything but that dang water leak issue.....
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miller2
Vader GT...yea it's in great shape. Im not worried about anything but that dang water leak issue.....
got it!

Just tell te current owner you want to use a hose on the car (explain about the issue some of the cars have). I'm sure he/she will be fine with you testing it. Have someone of the outside spray the car & you can check on the inside.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miller2
My mechanic did notice the following:
  • Slight Driveline vibration. Apparently this is fairly common of Fords in general and Mustangs in particular due to the 2 piece driveshaft. Anyone else experience this?
LMAO So Fords generally have a driveline vibration eh? I'm guessing your mechanic isn't a Ford man and it merely having a dig. If there's a driveline vibration it is not normal.. Sheesh

wash ur car and let some water go down the windshield and into the water drains for the windshield and then check ur passenger floor for wetness and then u will know if u have the dreaded water leak issue
See my signature
Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

marcuskeeler...whether my mechanic is a Ford man or not is irrelevant. Fact is that he is a mechanic, and a good one, and sees alot more cars than you do. He has seen this on many Fords including 2 that belonged to his father. Is it a widespread issue? I have no idea but because he has more experience with this than I do I'll trust him until someone can show me otherwise.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 AM
redrocker66

Congrats on your Stang! I love that Black with red interior combination. I almost bought an 06 GT Convertible like that a couple years ago.

I read about a thousand posts on oil changes and came to the conclusion that the Motorcraft synthetic blend (and Motorcraft filter) was the way to go, changing at 4 or 5 k. I mean I studied all the other oils. I don't think you gain much with the other high priced oils. The key is to change it every once in awhile. I know, I know...BMWs and Mini Coopers are going 15k between oil changes. Fine. But changing the oil on a Mustang has to be one of the easiest cars to change the oil on. I changed the oil on my F150 once. After that, I said "screw that...I'm paying to get it done." You literally have to have a lift to get the oil filter off. The Mustang is easy. Just reach down from the top. So, buy the Motorcraft oil and filter at Walmart for a grand total of around $25, and change it yourself every 4 or 5 k.

And for the drivetrain vibration, I would listen to your mechanic. Don't buy a car that a mechanic suspects there might be a problem. Or have the dealer throw in an extended warranty if he's confident there is no issue.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:47 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

na it dont vibrate well mind and my cousins dont. also i would change the plugs to the one peice design by champion, and wix and K&N are good filter any full synthetic is good alot of guys use amsoil or rp. good luck with the car

Quick Reply: Used Mustang for me!!!