Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation after a long cruise TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Default Hesitation after a long cruise TSB

I just recently went on a long cruise down to Los Angeles and on the way back, I was cruising at about 75mph (which is like 2400 RPMs I think) and was in cruise control. After a while I tried to get on it to pass someone and the car completely stalled out and the engine shut off. To start it I had to turn it off and turn it on a few times to prime the line I guess and then it started up and worked fine after that.

Is this the TSB that says it can hesitate because it gets bubbles around the fuel pump? It used to hesitate sometimes but I didn't do much freeway driving so I didn't worry about it. Then it stalled out on me a couple times. Then it did it again so now im concerned there is something wrong with it. I was also getting a worse gas mileage on the freeway (2-3mpg less) for the whole trip.

Anyone have any ideas?

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...NG-CRUISE.html
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
J2L06GT
2nd Gear Member

If you haven't changed fuel filter lately might try that first,
other then that probably pump, mine did about same thing
while was still under warranty.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I experienced a similar situation in the past, however it was in my Ford Explorer. After returning from a long trip from Pennsylvania to Georgia, the Explorer started stalling out. Every red light/stop sign, I had to keep hitting the gas so it wouldn't completely stall out. It did shut off a few times and I barely made it to a garage for a mechanic to take a look at it. They said the fuel filter and fuel pump were shot and they had to clean out the fuel lines as well. Hope you are able to get it resolved inexpensively!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I developed this problem (hesitation after cruise) with my '06 GT. I was also having gas gauge problems and getting a code. I ordered the pump (also includes gauge sender) that was indicated in the TSB you spoke about. Cost me about $200 (installed it myself) and haven't had either problem since (Knock on wood).
Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I developed this problem (hesitation after cruise) with my '06 GT. I was also having gas gauge problems and getting a code. I ordered the pump (also includes gauge sender) that was indicated in the TSB you spoke about. Cost me about $200 (installed it myself) and haven't had either problem since (Knock on wood).
Did you have gas mileage issues at all when it was having the problem?

Did you order the part from ford?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

When I bought the g/f's '06 V6 Pony I noticed the hesitation when I went to pass a truck after cruising highway on the way home from the dealership. I could repeat the hesitation (her's was a very noticeable, serious stumble but never did it stall) after a steady cruise of about 5-10 minutes or more. She had 1 month left on the warranty and her local dealership replaced the fuel pump free under the TSB. Since you're out of warranty, get hold of the TSB and either buy and install the parts yourself or have a shop do it. The shop manual is available on-line for step-by-step instructions.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

My 05 hesitates sometimes after a long cruise, but never stalls completely. More irritating than anything. Sounds like your fuel pump has a problem to me, but you might try the filter first (as was previously mentioned) as it is cheap and can't hurt to replace it anyway.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
Did you have gas mileage issues at all when it was having the problem?

Did you order the part from ford?

No gas mileage issues.

I ordered the pump from some Ford dealer on line. My local dealers parts dept quoted me like $385.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

How often should the filter be changed? My stang is a DD and sees plenty of highway miles but hasnt had much of an issue with hesitation (although i have felt it sometimes). Im at around 60k miles from what i recall so should i go ahead and replace it?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some will say every 15,000 miles. Others say 30,000 miles. Some say 60,000. I chnaged mine at 30,000 miles only because of some of the stories I heard here. But in all my years and one million + miles, I never changed a fuel filter previously earlier than 75,000 miles. But then again, today's cars with fuel injection are much less tolerant of dirt than carburated engines.

Quick Reply: Hesitation after a long cruise TSB