Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 GT roof panel paint defect

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Are you still considering the Camaro now that Ford is taking care of the problem?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OIIIIO
Are you still considering the Camaro now that Ford is taking care of the problem?
Nah, I love the 05-09 body style way to much to go back to GM. I miss my 99 Trans Am at times, but I want a 09 Shelby.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UpTo11
I'm betting Ford will help you out.

However, on another note...why would you take a Camaro SS over a GT500?
The things we do to spite those who betray us....
Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

UPDATE:

Just came back from my Ford dealer, as they still have my car. Seems that the TSB fixes were not all that was wrong with the transmission. The service writer told me it was taking longer than normal because more parts had to be ordered. He said the transmission needed a complete overhaul and the failure of other parts led to a larger problem. He didn't give me specifics of what else needed to be replaced, but due to cold weather gear grinding I'm sure some of the gears needed to be replaced. I suggest anyone else who has experienced cold weather hard shifting/grinding problems better get it fixed before your warranty is out. The only time I had issues was under 40*F or when trying to power shift (sometimes you couldn't get it to go into gear and it would grind terribly).

Good news today as well. They gave me a rental car, and I didn't even have to ask for it. Guess he knew it was going to be with them for quiet a while.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Got my car back today, and the roof has been repainted. The only thing is the orange peel in the roof is much more than the rest of the car. The paint and body manager at the dealership tried to convince me this is how the new cars are to protect them from road debris and rock damage. I said, umm...no my car looked like glass on top before it was painted. They will be wet sanding and buffing it Monday to meet my satisfaction.

Oh, and the transmission shifts much better now. The shifts feel in place now, and not sloppy like before. Although, it was a 2450.00 repair on the tranny alone. Good thing for warranty.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Did they ever say what caused the paint to shrink like that? Last time I saw paint do that was when I was painting my F150 tailgate and the paint thinner reacted with the epoxy primer. Looks almost like something got under the paint or was on the metal when it was painted and was just now starting to lift.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

jeez whatcha do to that tranny? glad u got it fixed bud.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

thats awesome that your dealer actually fixed your car, ford can be a pain in the *** when it comes to these things
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Get this!....I had a 2008 GT (black) 5spd and had both paint and transmission problems from day one!

When I got the car home from the dealer I had to buff out the front fenders because it looked like it had thin and uneven spots in the clear coat.

Once the weather started getting cold my transmission went to hell quick...it was difficult to shift into gear (esp reverse) and third would crunch at times. The dealer didn't want to fix the problem because by the time I drove it to the shop the car was warm and the third gear crunch was gone. They said the hard shifts were 'normal'. I could have gone to a different dealer but I ended up trading it on a 2010....AUTOMATIC!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kc5mhb
Did they ever say what caused the paint to shrink like that? Last time I saw paint do that was when I was painting my F150 tailgate and the paint thinner reacted with the epoxy primer. Looks almost like something got under the paint or was on the metal when it was painted and was just now starting to lift.
Pascal said it was either poor prep or too much hardener used in the paint mixture. The paint shop never commented on the issue, just repainted it.

Quick Reply: 2008 GT roof panel paint defect