Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2011 Mustang? Did you haggle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
another thing, another deal I learned by experience is 0% sucks over taking cash incentives, because when you take 0% you are paying more up front for the car in lieu of taking the incentive, this means you pay more sales tax on the higher purchase price, plus you never know you may want to sell the car early in which case you don't realize the savings that 0% offers.
+1

0% only pays off if you plan to keep the car until payoff. If you plan to trade/sell early take the rebates instead.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Lots of good advice, some not so good. Everyone's situation is different.

Gap insurance isn't for dummies. Many of you are quick to jump the gun on folks. Perhaps someone has less than perfect credit? If so, no matter how low the sale price, his APR may keep him a bit upside down for a few years. Perhaps someone is a bit upside down in the trade, no matter how good the deal? Then take the GAP, it's cheap insurance. We've got some of the worst drivers out here in Nevada and California, I've seen lots of customers come in with GAP claims over the years.
Yes, I've been in Finance at a Ford store for many years, and I've seen folks in all kinds of situatuions.
I do agree to starting off with an Internet quote. Most dealers Internet sales departments price the cars close to invoice. Get your rebate as mentioned too. Check with your employer to see if your company qualifies for X-plan, that takes the haggle out from the start.
Good luck, and enjoy your new car!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Definitely try to get them down on the price......don't ever walk in and pay what they're asking. Never. No matter how bad you want it, be ready to walk away. That'll getcha the best deal.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
MRGTX
1st Gear Member

Great, great advice all around...you guys are the best.

So I totally agree with the advice of waiting for the hype to die down, letting the TSBs surface, etc. Two things are pushing me towards throwing my cash down now:

1.) The main reason- My 2009 GT is still worth within 5% of what I paid for it new, thanks to the X-Plan and some good timing on buying it last year. It seems like driving a nice car for almost a year with no expenses other than oil changes and gas...and getting almost all of my money back is a no-brainer. I suspect that the trade-in value will plummet by this time next year. Yes, I spoke to my local dealership who said that they would stand by the NADA trade in value.

2.) I still have access to the X-Plan. I'll still probably be at my job next year but there is always a chance that I will have moved on.

3.) I'm trying to rationalize an emotional purchase. I want one!

So if it's 8 weeks for delivery of a new order, I'll probably wrack up 2000 miles on my current GT in that time... how will they evaluate that for trade in value?

Last edited by MRGTX; 05-12-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM
royale
1st Gear Member

I just ordered mine today with the X-plan, and they printed something out that listed the dealer was making about $223 on the car. I didn't need to haggle Plus if you go to Truecar.com, you can definitely see what a great price should be for your car with the exact trims.