Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a supercharger REALLY worth all the money?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ejanderson05gt
Come on, Cutter, I'm in college. I've learned this already.

Siggy, those numbers are just rough estimates based off a 20% tax-rape. This was nothing more than a random number, but that $1,100 is after that 20% is taken out. It could very well be more, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was. However, I'm living with my parents this summer, so no bills. And I don't have to worry about car payments due to a deal I worked out with them: Rather than making payments, I would give them a large lump sum at the beginning of each semester and last year's internship pay to help them out with whatever they needed.

The answer is still yes........... The hard part is picking out the right SuperCharger for you.......
Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

Dude your 19 with no kids and big time responsibilities! You can make mistakes at this point in your life and live to tell the tale! Now if your planning to get rid of it in 2 years your better off using this 5-7k on the blower as a DP on a 2011 5.0! You sound more mature then normal 19 year old(sh00t im 30 n prolly do it) but there will be a time in your life when you won't be able to make bad monetary decisions... in essence if you really want it now and the numbers make sense (you can still go out n spend on girls and pay bills) then do it! I just traded up to a GT cuz I figured in 2-3 years i will need to consider having a kid(girl wont wait forever) and at that point getting what you want becomes secondary.....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

Oh and go Twin Screw!! lol, them kenne Bell's are sexy!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Eric, congrats to you for thinking like this. You have your head on straight, somewhat. You MUST do what is IMPORTANT first. Providing for your financial future is very important. However, you really should have some savings before risking anything in investments.

But on the other hand, treating yourself to what you enjoy is also important, in moderation of course.

Ask yourself this: why am I wanting to do these mods to my car? And really think about it. Is it a wise move, short term and long term? Probably not long term, since you're planning already to replace the car in a little while anyways. But that's just from the financial part of it. You won't get what you pay to put into it. And a blower is a major expense.

However, having a blower will be a lot more fun to drive! Is it necessary? Probably not, unless you want the extra power of course. You could pick up a used setup for around 3K and run safe and lower boost and not run into much money, and have the best of both worlds.

Just stick with a good balance of saving/investing and you'll do fine in life.

Being an older guy (near 50), it was great to buy and have a nice car at a young age. But it was very painful to sell the car after getting married and starting a family, but it was the right financial thing to do at the time. I don't regret doing it, but still miss that great car. Now later in life, being able to have a few more toys and spend more on mods, it's become great fun again.

Do what you think is right, make and stick to those goals, and enjoy life along the way
Old 05-13-2010, 11:47 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

The fact that I have no intention of marrying and no desire to start a family definitely factors into my decision to have fun .

So like the above posted said, don't forget to factor in things outside of work and your car when making financial decisions.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Eric, congrats to you for thinking like this. You have your head on straight, somewhat. You MUST do what is IMPORTANT first. Providing for your financial future is very important. However, you really should have some savings before risking anything in investments.

But on the other hand, treating yourself to what you enjoy is also important, in moderation of course.

Ask yourself this: why am I wanting to do these mods to my car? And really think about it. Is it a wise move, short term and long term? Probably not long term, since you're planning already to replace the car in a little while anyways. But that's just from the financial part of it. You won't get what you pay to put into it. And a blower is a major expense.

However, having a blower will be a lot more fun to drive! Is it necessary? Probably not, unless you want the extra power of course. You could pick up a used setup for around 3K and run safe and lower boost and not run into much money, and have the best of both worlds.

Just stick with a good balance of saving/investing and you'll do fine in life.

Being an older guy (near 50), it was great to buy and have a nice car at a young age. But it was very painful to sell the car after getting married and starting a family, but it was the right financial thing to do at the time. I don't regret doing it, but still miss that great car. Now later in life, being able to have a few more toys and spend more on mods, it's become great fun again.

Do what you think is right, make and stick to those goals, and enjoy life along the way
Don't worry, I plan on saving a good deal from each check, I'm tired of not having money in my account.

I honestly feel that I would be more apt to keep the car longer if I put more money into it. If I put a blower on it and the engine gets worn out from mileage or whatever, I'll step up to a B302 or something along those lines. The less money I put into it, the less of an investment I feel I've made, which lends itself to less of a monetary attachment to the car, in a sense.

As for the big question of "Why?" This kind of goes back to a thread I started a while ago entitled "Why do we mod?" Other than a love of cars and going fast, I don't know why I want a blower. Sure, the power I have now is great, but knowing I've got one of the faster cars around, that's just a fulfilling thought.

Guys, I really do appreciate all the responses. I'm trying to be as responsible as I can, but, other than a fervent passion for this lifestyle, I can't find reasonable justification for a blower. Now it's just a matter of deciding if that passion is worth 4 grand.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

dude forget about getting a blower, I sure hope none of the money you are getting for college is a student loan. if that is the case sell the car drive a beater and go to a cheaper school. I can't believe some people have over 100k in student loans when all they can get is a 50k per year job once they graduate.

I will not say what I make but lets just say I am 36 live in one of the biggest homes in my neighborhood have no unsecured debt and make a good living. I want a blower really really bad also, but truthfully even I am not in a realistic posisiton to do it. putting 6 grand into my car doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially, not that I always make the right choices or anything but lets get real.

if I do it one day I think I am going to look for a used blower, a used kit goes for less than 4 grand, so someone else has taken the depreciation hit. or there is the 3850 intercooled magnacharger kit from J&M, if I knew I could get the car tuned right I would probably go for that kit.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 AM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
dude forget about getting a blower, I sure hope none of the money you are getting for college is a student loan. if that is the case sell the car drive a beater and go to a cheaper school. I can't believe some people have over 100k in student loans when all they can get is a 50k per year job once they graduate.

I will not say what I make but lets just say I am 36 live in one of the biggest homes in my neighborhood have no unsecured debt and make a good living. I want a blower really really bad also, but truthfully even I am not in a realistic posisiton to do it. putting 6 grand into my car doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially, not that I always make the right choices or anything but lets get real.

if I do it one day I think I am going to look for a used blower, a used kit goes for less than 4 grand, so someone else has taken the depreciation hit. or there is the 3850 intercooled magnacharger kit from J&M, if I knew I could get the car tuned right I would probably go for that kit.
No, no loans at all, it's all paid by scholarships. I'm perfectly content with a used kit. In fact, I'd actually prefer that route.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

We are sitting in the bottom area of a cycle in real estate. Drop that money on a down ppayment for some kind of rental property. Have someone else make the payment for you and watch the value go up, because it will go up eventually. In the meantime, you are driving a plenty fast car. I wish I would have listened to this advice my father gave me back when I could have bought a condo in LA for 70, which today, even with ****y values is worth 400k.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Forgive me if I sound extremely blunt, but how about skipping the blower right now and....saving to move out of the parents' house? You're going to have this car for what: 5-10 years? Is it worth shelling out that kind of cash now and postponing the rest of your life? The earlier you start saving, the better off you are. Living paycheck to paycheck while living at home and entertaining the thought of spending thousands of dollars (that it doesn't sound like you really even have at this point) to make a car go faster is...crazy IMO.

Flame suit on...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a supercharger REALLY worth all the money?