Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 V6 Mustang trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM
fireguywtc

Default 06 V6 Mustang trans problems

Hello all first post!

My wifes stang (06 V6 with 75K miles) is in the trans shop and we have that feeling like they are trying to screw us. The problem right now is I am out of the state and can't have them show me whats wrong so I would need to take their word for it so I want some expert opinions.

Heres what happened with her car:

The car is an auto that was having delayed shifts into reverse and we also experienced some hard shifts when downshifting under the right conditions. It had not been happening very long when we decided to take it in and have it looked at. There where no codes when the checked it out and drove it. All other mannerisims of the trans seemed normal. Fluid level was fine. The first thing the shop did was pull the trans pan and they told us there was metal in the fluid and pan, but no large pieces. Today they called us and told us there was major damage to all the internal components to include the solenoids and the torque converter and all them needed to be replaced to the tune of $2600.

What do you all think? does this sound like they are in line with the probelms or could we be getting screwed? I don't know a lot about newer cars and their differences. I have basic understandings of mechanics whith automatics and I am much more proficient with older vehicles. I know in an older car the torque converter wouldn't be affected with the rest of the trans.

I am excited to hear you expert responses and thank you very much in advance. Bill
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Bill, is there another transmission shop that you can take it to?
Too bad you aren't here, I have a friend who owns one and is very particular when it comes to Fords, especially Mustangs.

You can also call around to different shops and tell them what you have experienced as far as the car's shifts. They may be able to give you some advice.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM
fireguywtc

Thanks for the replies all, here is what happened.

After discussing it with my wife we decided to let this place do the rebuild since we where low on options and out of town. To make me feel better I did ask the mechanic to save all the parts to show me what had failed and why everything needed r&r. He showed me that some of the clutches where indeed burnt and the needle bearings in the large drum (I think it goes around the planetary gear set) where starting to fail with a few of them already gone. Aside from that the soleniods where replaced and I am not totally sure why. The bill was for a master rebuild kit for just over $1200 and over $1300 for the labor. The rest was tax so the final was just over $2600.

After getting it back we have noticed it shifts like new again with the TC locking up again normally, shifting at lower rpms, no delay when switching gears, and an increase in mpg. Most of the problems did point tgo needing a full rebuild. Even though it was working with no DTC's, it was obviously hurt with obvious loss in trans fluid pressure.