Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detroit rockers vs bbr stg1 vs hot rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Good idea, but they're gonna push you to buy whatever it is they carry. The dyno's here are the candid answers...even though we're all biased.

I'm callin my tuner today and getting my dyno's so i can post em! And i found my USB cable so I can upload some of the video's of me layin the smack down on a cammed T/A this past weekend.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My detroit rockers are going in this weekend. Will give impressions afterwords. One poster made a really good point. Drivablility. You dont want to have to drag the clutch at every stop light so you dont stall or constantly work the gas and brake in an auto.

patrick
Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
My detroit rockers are going in this weekend. Will give impressions afterwords. One poster made a really good point. Drivablility. You dont want to have to drag the clutch at every stop light so you dont stall or constantly work the gas and brake in an auto.

patrick
I used to hate popping it into Neutral at a stop and holding the gas at about 1,000 to 1,200 rpm so the engine didn't stall out.

then popping it into drive and hoping the tires didn't light up...or the engine bog down and die.

luckily these cam profiles aren't nearly that extreme, but the Thumpers really do make these cars shake. I can't wait for that lope and the body rocking...is it December yet?

still waiting to see some dyno graphs of the 3 different cams. sadly though, it won't really be worth anything. we need a shop like Brenspeed or Tillman to do an install with all 3 cams, run the same (ish) tuning and the same dyno. then we would have consistent and valuable data.
the differences between dynos & tuners alone can make 1 cam more powerful than the next cam...and then the next guy to come along will shake it up with a different outcome
Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Your correct Tylus. Its hardly ever apples to apples. The best you can do is, do your research, ask questions and make your best guess and pick one. For me driveablility is very important. I got a vipetruck thats a f#cking bear to drive with what I have done to it. It just wants to buck ya hard! LOL I cant have two cars like that.

You on Oahu? I havent seen any Bulitts on Maui like yours.

patrick
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

yep, on Oahu at Pearl Harbor/Aeia. There is a guy running a SRT-10 around here. Damn thing sounds mean. He can't drive a stick to save his life though.

I'm going to run the Detroit Rockers personally. Brenspeed has a damn good rep, and if they are claiming that driveability is better than the FRPP or Thumper, I'm going to trust them. That, and they will be providing me the tuning...so it makes sense IMO to utilize their in-house experience with their own product
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

between those three I would go with the rockers, more power then the hot rods by far, only a few hp less then those BBR, and the most streetable of the three.

I have comp stage 2 XFI SPR cams. There SICK. But drivability is pretty bad. Tear through plugs like you would not belive, and get stuck in traffic.... ouch. I know....

If drivability is at all your concern then go with the Rockers. If you just want more power for the strip and dont care about drivability as much, I would go a more aggressive cam then the three you listed.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally Posted by Tylus
yep, on Oahu at Pearl Harbor/Aeia. There is a guy running a SRT-10 around here. Damn thing sounds mean. He can't drive a stick to save his life though.

I'm going to run the Detroit Rockers personally. Brenspeed has a damn good rep, and if they are claiming that driveability is better than the FRPP or Thumper, I'm going to trust them. That, and they will be providing me the tuning...so it makes sense IMO to utilize their in-house experience with their own product
The Hot Rods are incredibly driveable!! Never had a problem with them
Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

I went from 460.9 to 487.5 corrected for 80 and at sea level with detroit rockers.

Last edited by davisr014; 05-19-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM
mds08
1st Gear Member

342 with Hot Rods,and I have BBK shorties,BBK high flow cats,pulleys,FRPP cai,410 gears,Dynotech driveshaft, and delete plates. It drives better that it did when I drove it home from the dealership when I first got it.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Pony Up
1st Gear Member

Did the rockers last week.
They're not all that. None of the ones you mention are much of anything but sound.
I wouold wait for the $$$'s and do a proper set of cams and some head work and build it correctly off the start. You will save huge bucks in the long run and have the bar none best set up for this car.
$$$ for these phoney cams.
This comes frome experience now.

Quick Reply: detroit rockers vs bbr stg1 vs hot rods